No free dining again?

Well when they have a ton of availability they sort of had to do this.

yeah, guess I thought December would be fine - with Rise of the Resistance opening (and WDW having it first) then Pop Warner the beginnign of the month and then the Holiday season, I am really surprised about December

Not that there are discounts for the rest of the fall (though odd no free dining in October - guess due to Food and Wine and people using the snack credits at the booths? - but then to have it in December)

In the latest podcast, Pete (I believe) made mention of no free dining again, unless a recession. I assume he means EVER and not just this season? Am I correct? If so, what are others thoughts on this...
My wife and I go to Disneyland all the time but have only been to Walt Disney World twice. Both times we got the free dining plan and man was it a great deal. The discount on the rooms is a joke, those are paid for anyway already so every room rental is nothing but money in their pockets. We won't be going back to World anymore and one of the reasons is they no longer have the free dining that use to come around every now and again. We will be happy going to our happy place, Disneyland.

yeah, guess I thought December would be fine - with Rise of the Resistance opening (and WDW having it first) then Pop Warner the beginnign of the month and then the Holiday season, I am really surprised about December

Not that there are discounts for the rest of the fall (though odd no free dining in October - guess due to Food and Wine and people using the snack credits at the booths? - but then to have it in December)
Early December tends to be a slower time so discounts there don’t surprise me. Rise was just announced last week so I’m sure rooms didn’t fill in that week either.

Early December tends to be a slower time so discounts there don’t surprise me. Rise was just announced last week so I’m sure rooms didn’t fill in that week either.

that true - and just wonder how good the communication is between the parts of Disney managing the opening of Rise of the Resistance and those that manage the discounts, etc

I do know early December has Pop Warner so I know it can sometimes be hard to find value rooms, but yeah, i am sure other options at least were slow - and maybe still didn't see much of interest even after announcing RotR

sorry to harp on it but I find it all fascinating - especially if even a complete GE is not helping crowds in December

I know it's been 7 years since my last trip, but since the bulk of my trips were in early December, I am also very shocked at free dining then too, Phil. Even in the much "slower times" when free dining was offered at other times of year, it was NEVER offered when I went. (Or in Jan, which is when most of my other trips were, with some in November or early Feb). Never ever been offered during the times I went.

Last edited:
My wife and I go to Disneyland all the time but have only been to Walt Disney World twice. Both times we got the free dining plan and man was it a great deal. The discount on the rooms is a joke, those are paid for anyway already so every room rental is nothing but money in their pockets. We won't be going back to World anymore and one of the reasons is they no longer have the free dining that use to come around every now and again. We will be happy going to our happy place, Disneyland.
They just announced free dining today if you are able to travel on select dates this fall.

just a note that Pete posted on Facebook that his lower back is bothering him so he won't be hosting the show today, so won't get to hear him shrug, close his eyes, and say "I told you so ... I told you so"

That's probably why Disney dropped the info today! They knew Pete was wounded and couldn't gloat.

You know they got eyes on him constantly...

Being a frequent back issues sufferer myself, I hope Pete feels better SOON!!! The worst is not being able to SLEEP, on top of dealing with the pain!!

They haven’t really had free dining during the bulk of October for a few years now I think. October and early Nov are much busier times in the fall than September/early Dec. Between the increased fall breaks, Columbus Day weekend, Gardtner IT convention, popularity of F&W/MNSSHP, Jersey Week and the Wine and Dine marathon Disney is able to full a lot of rooms without free dining promos.

just a note that Pete posted on Facebook that his lower back is bothering him so he won't be hosting the show today, so won't get to hear him shrug, close his eyes, and say "I told you so ... I told you so"
Well he was right but also wrong. He said they wouldn't do another free dining promo... then he said they would have to do something to get new reservations, which was free dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!