No horn when leaving port?

DVC Jen

Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks.
I have been watching the Port Canaveral webcam for a few weeks now in anticipation of our June cruise. We last cruised in 2013. The ships used to play the horn as it passed by Fish Lips. I noticed they are no longer doing this. Is there a reason?

I have been watching the Port Canaveral webcam for a few weeks now in anticipation of our June cruise. We last cruised in 2013. The ships used to play the horn as it passed by Fish Lips. I noticed they are no longer doing this. Is there a reason?

They play the horn at the appropriate time during the Sail Away party. Sometimes it's before they get there, sometimes it's when they get there, sometimes it's after.

Yes, often they sound the horn during the Sail Away party (countdown during the celebration) and then sometimes after the push away from the pier, but I've also heard it after it passes Fishlips as they're going down the channel passing Jetty Park. You can't always hear it though because of the wind or if the band playing at Fishlips is especially loud.

Thanks for the replies. We sail on the Fantasy on a Saturday. Plan to have an early dinner on Fish Lips the day before so we can see the Dream leaving (tradition for us). Hoping to hear the horn then.

The neighbors around the port have complained about the horns. It's rare that you will hear it leaving Port Canaveral these days.

I don't think it matters because they aren't suppose to sound the horn as they are traveling down the canal. I miss the days when the DCL captain would sound all the various horn as they passed Rusty's or Fishlips.

I don't think it matters because they aren't suppose to sound the horn as they are traveling down the canal. I miss the days when the DCL captain would sound all the various horn as they passed Rusty's or Fishlips.
I was only asking, because it's a little like the people who move into the new housing developments close to already existing airports who then turn around and say "the airport's too noisy, let's pass laws making them be quieter." Or laws curtailing new flights.

If the airport was there when they moved in, I think the airport wins.

Who decided that they can't sound their horns as the pass down the canal? How long as it been that way?

We live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral and go for brunch often to watch the ships leave. Last time they played the horn multiple times (different songs), but not until they reached the Jetty Park area.

We live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral and go for brunch often to watch the ships leave. Last time they played the horn multiple times (different songs), but not until they reached the Jetty Park area.

Maybe they are too far away from Fish Lips to hear on the webcam then. Good thing - I will find out for myself in less than 2 months!

We were at Rusty's last night. Carnival was first to leave and sounded the horn to alert The Fantasy, the only other ship in port, it was moving. The Fantasy did not sound its horn when it left or as it traveled down the channel. We were too far from Jetty Park to know for sure yesterday but most times when we cruise they do sound the horn at Jetty Park. You will also hear the horn/horns everyday at noon and when leaving other ports. Port Canaveral seems to be the only quiet one.

ships use the horn to provide 'sound signals' in accordance with the 'rules of the road'

the signals are very well defined

the 'musical horns' in NO WAY confirm to the requirements of horns as described in 'the rules of the road'

therefore LEGALLY they become 'noise' and can confuse the legal required uses of the horn/whistle

in more than one place where ships have traditionally sounded their horns for fun when leaving port, local residents have appealed to local authority that the ships provide 'sound pollution' ...

while the whistle signals required under the rules of the road are accepted, frivolous sounding of the horns is considered sound pollution

and for the most part the homeowner WAS there first !

b4 you say dumb because ships today use radio and radar and other systems to communicate, know that the courts have quite consistently come back to these systems being backups to SOUND SIGNALS for safe navigation ...... ships that have agreed on radio and subsequently collided have had logs reviewed for 'sound signals passed' ..... no sound signal? no legal agreement!

in more than one place where ships have traditionally sounded their horns for fun when leaving port, local residents have appealed to local authority that the ships provide 'sound pollution' ...

while the whistle signals required under the rules of the road are accepted, frivolous sounding of the horns is considered sound pollution

and for the most part the homeowner WAS there first !

I remember a few years ago watching Port Everglades sail aways (I think that was before my HAL cruise) and the "horn battles" were completely obnoxious - and it was just horns, nothing musical at all. I know there they had complaints and had to quit the "practice".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!