No Hurricanes Please- A Redemption Trip- November 2018 PTR-Updated 11/17/18 New TR Links

SweetSerenity

Thank you evenin' star!
Aloha! :welcome:

I'm Shannon, and I'm starting my November 2018 PTR that doesn't quite exist yet because the Disney bug has bitten me, and I'm burning with the Disney fever. I'm pretty sure I'm sweating Pixie dust. . .

fever.jpg

This is the trip that's not really supposed to be. Back in September 2017, I had planned Operation Best Trip Ever. We were packed and ready to leave in a few hours when the weather reports showed that Hurricane Irma was making a turn toward Orlando. It was the most disappointing feeling to pick up the phone to cancel, knowing that we would not be rescheduling. My vacation time is not flexible. I work in a busy family practice, and we can only take off one at a time. That becomes a little frustrating when trying to plan vacations and basically competing against each other for time off, but I truly love my job so it's okay. I'm grateful to have vacation time at all.

I made the mistake of not asking for any vacation time for 2018. I didn't think we were going to go anywhere, but I've been helping two families plan their trips and one day that Disney bug crawled up and bit me. Suddenly, I'm bursting in the office like a crazy person scouring the time sheets for time off. As of right now, I have two possibilities: September and November. However, someone else is intending to go to Paris in September and November looks like it's going to work out better. Thus, the birth of Redemption Road: the hopefully hurricane-free trip November 2018.

Before we move on to the potentials, I wanted to give a little background on who we are. Again, I'm Shannon, and my travel companion is my beloved husband, Jason. We've been together 12 years and married 2. We will be celebrating our third wedding anniversary at Disney this year. I am the Disney fanatic and have been for as long as I can remember. At Disney, anything is possible, and while I would love to travel the world I find myself yearning to go back year after year. My husband humors me. He is understanding of my passion, though I know he gets tired of hearing about it day after day. . .

pigeonforge.jpg

My Disney loves are The Little Mermaid, Figment, Eeyore, Charlotte from the Princess and the Frog, Rose and Crown, Philharmagic, cream cheese stuffed pretzels, the UK Pavilion, and Mitsukoshi.

Jason enjoys Star Wars, Marvel, screaming on roller coasters, Japan pavilion, Scotch flights, Rose and Crown, Beauty and the Beast, Teppan Edo, and relaxing on any bench, hammock, rocking chair he can find.

So, the trip.

November 1st- November 10th, 2018. Why? Well, work reasons, I love fall and wanted some Christmas elements, Food and Wine, and our wedding anniversary is November 1st.

The downside is that I've recently learned that's the weekend of the marathon. I wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge like we were going to in 2017, but it's not available. Here are my three potential packages:

Pop Century preferred room with either the DDP or Deluxe. The rooms have been refurbished, and I enjoyed my past stay there.

Caribbean Beach Resort- DDP or Deluxe. We stayed here on our honeymoon as a split stay. I know they are undergoing construction, but I really liked the resort in 2015.

Animal Kingdom Lodge- DDP or Deluxe. We stayed here on our honeymoon as well. This resort was so wonderful and beautiful. I loved every second of being there. This really is my top choice out of the three, but financially it may not work out. My husband will not consider another split stay so it's all or nothing.

I'm hoping for some discounts to be released in the coming months, though I don't know if that's possible with the marathon. :confused3

I plan on making my final choice this weekend and booking. We are off to the Disney store soon for some inspiration! Who knows, a stuffed giraffe may hit me in the head to indicate AKL is the right choice. :rotfl:

Have a magical day!

Joining in! My husband and I will be there November 1st to 11th. Food & Wine Festival is my favorite time at Disney,. We are split staying between AKV and BWV between the running part and the F&W part.

Joining in! My husband and I will be there November 1st to 11th. Food & Wine Festival is my favorite time at Disney,. We are split staying between AKV and BWV between the running part and the F&W part.

Welcome! Ooh, that's exciting! Are you participating in the marathon, then?

I haven't booked our trip yet, though I have it narrowed down to Pop Century or AKL. Caribbean Beach has bitten the dust, but I'm having a hard time deciding between Pop and AKL. I guess I'm just hoping they will release a promotion for those dates. I've never stayed at BWV, but your split stay sounds great!

Welcome! Ooh, that's exciting! Are you participating in the marathon, then?

I haven't booked our trip yet, though I have it narrowed down to Pop Century or AKL. Caribbean Beach has bitten the dust, but I'm having a hard time deciding between Pop and AKL. I guess I'm just hoping they will release a promotion for those dates. I've never stayed at BWV, but your split stay sounds great!

Yes - my husband will run the challenge (10K + Half) and I'm undecided if I'm doing only the 10K or if I'm doing the challenge. I have about 6 weeks to decide. We are lucky that we are in driving distance to WDW (3 hour drive) and we bought into DVC back in 2012. This year - we're doing every RunDisney Event at WDW - no other real vacations outside of WDW. Our only other travel will be for a friend's wedding. 2019 will be a different story - I think we're just going to end up doing Marathon Weekend & Dark Side Weekend (my husband is legacy for that race) as we're going to France in September 2019.

I would lean towards AKL over Pop but I love that resort. Can't go wrong with being able to see animals and an awesome pool! Hopefully you can get some type of discount.

2017 was a sucky hurricane year between Harvey, Irma and Maria. (I live in Naples which was directly hit by the eye of Irma). Don't blame you for cancelling your trip during that time! While Disney is a great place to be during a storm - being locked in your hotel for 2 days isn't very fun despite their attempts to make it better.

Yes - my husband will run the challenge (10K + Half) and I'm undecided if I'm doing only the 10K or if I'm doing the challenge. I have about 6 weeks to decide. We are lucky that we are in driving distance to WDW (3 hour drive) and we bought into DVC back in 2012. This year - we're doing every RunDisney Event at WDW - no other real vacations outside of WDW. Our only other travel will be for a friend's wedding. 2019 will be a different story - I think we're just going to end up doing Marathon Weekend & Dark Side Weekend (my husband is legacy for that race) as we're going to France in September 2019.

I would lean towards AKL over Pop but I love that resort. Can't go wrong with being able to see animals and an awesome pool! Hopefully you can get some type of discount.

2017 was a sucky hurricane year between Harvey, Irma and Maria. (I live in Naples which was directly hit by the eye of Irma). Don't blame you for cancelling your trip during that time! While Disney is a great place to be during a storm - being locked in your hotel for 2 days isn't very fun despite their attempts to make it better.

I'm glad we canceled our trip back in September. We had a good vacation anyway, though it wasn't Disney. It was a terrible year for hurricanes, but I'm hoping 2018 is quieter. I know so many people lost quite a bit during those storms.

We're Booked!
After contemplating scenario after scenario, I finally started to piece all the puzzles together in my head. I had asked the boards for opinions on Pop, Caribbean Beach, and Animal Kingdom Lodge so I could sort through the muck of which to pick. Caribbean Beach was knocked out pretty quickly. While the construction could be finished by then and doesn't affect every aspect of the resort, I just didn't have a good feeling about it anymore. That left Pop and Animal Kingdom Lodge: the least and most expensive sparring off against each other.

Pop has recently renovated rooms. I've stayed there in the past and enjoyed it, but it's a limited resort as to entertainment while you're there. We are building in a no-park day for resting and relaxing in the middle of the trip because we're always so tired by the end that we don't want to do anything else. AKL is beautiful, and there are so many places to explore during a rest day. We can hang out by the pool, spend time at the savanna, or just lounge in the rocking chairs. We enjoyed Boma for both breakfast and lunch, and I've always wanted to try Sanaa. Pop does have a great food court and gift shop, though.

So I contemplated, read the replies from the great people of the Dis, contemplated a little more, imagined ourselves at each resort, contemplated more, and asked myself where would we be more comfortable? I've seen complaints about the sterility of the new Pop rooms and while I'm sad that the unique theme of each building is gone, I kind of like them. But for 9 nights crammed in? AKL has the balconies, and I feel comfortable in the rooms.

Okay, decision made! Where did I book?

AKL.png

AKL for the win! I booked a standard view as I can see all of the beauty anytime I want by going outside. I just love the layout of the resort. Besides, one of my favorite things to say to aggravate my husband is Jambo! Now, I can say it every single day. . .

muahaha.jpg
MUAHAHAHAHA!

So, that left the dining plan. Here is where I struggled. We've always been fortunate enough to go during free dining. Occasionally, I've upgraded to DxDP. But the reality is, we don't need all that food. It's just nice to try whatever we want and have it already paid for. My diet has changed drastically. I was diagnosed in November 2017 with a condition called gastroparesis. Basically, I have some paralysis in my stomach that doesn't allow me to digest properly. I'm mostly on a blended diet, though I can eat regular food with medication and if I'm careful about my portions. I do have a lot of restrictions, but Disney is a special time for us, and I want to enjoy it. I still plan on partaking in my favorite restaurants and snacks, but I will be more cautious.

So, I thought about not going on the plan at all. That way, we had no limits at all and could get anything we wanted. I heard the hesitation in my husband's voice and as we were going down the list of restaurants we liked, I kept hearing no from him. I knew he was trying to be practical, but I didn't want him to hold back on the one vacation that we will get this year. Besides, this is likely our last trip for a long time so I want to make the best of it. I decided then that we would do the regular dining plan since there are tons of QS that we like, and if we want to add any TS out of pocket, we'd still be saving money.

So, I called and booked 9 nights in November at AKL with the regular Dining plan and 8 day park hopper tickets. I'm still hoping some sort of discount will come out in the coming months, but if it doesn't work out I can change the package around if needed. I just feel so much better having a reservation than holding out and risking losing this package.

The bottom line is, we're going back! Hooray!

tinkerbelle.gif

Hello! I’m following along! Booked to go last week of November 2018 so excitedly reading any PTR in that month!

Hi! So glad to have you join in! That's exciting! Tell me about your trip.
We are splurging and staying at contemporary resort with theme park view! I have two little ones and this worked out best when we went for first time last June. Wanted to do this again since we fell in love with contemporary resort! My oldest was five and he’s on the spectrum so watching the fireworks from our room worked out perfectly for us! The youngest was one so retiring to room early to hang out there after a full day at parks was perfect for us! I can’t wait to go during cooler weather. We definitely want to visit AKL to eat at Sanaa there and watch animals while eating! And of course look around at Christmas decor there.

We are splurging and staying at contemporary resort with theme park view! I have two little ones and this worked out best when we went for first time last June. Wanted to do this again since we fell in love with contemporary resort! My oldest was five and he’s on the spectrum so watching the fireworks from our room worked out perfectly for us! The youngest was one so retiring to room early to hang out there after a full day at parks was perfect for us! I can’t wait to go during cooler weather. We definitely want to visit AKL to eat at Sanaa there and watch animals while eating! And of course look around at Christmas decor there.

I've never been to the Contemporary other than riding through on the monorail. I hope your children enjoy the view!

Sanaa is on our list, too, as we have never made it over. I wish November wasn't so far away.

I've never been to the Contemporary other than riding through on the monorail. I hope your children enjoy the view!

Sanaa is on our list, too, as we have never made it over. I wish November wasn'tPthe eminence so far away.
The convenience of being able to walk to MK or take the monorail to Epcot made it worth the splurge since my oldest is autistic and uses a stroller as wheelchair. :lovestrucWe will probably use a Minnie van to go to AKL! Hey, you should take one for the team and go to Sanaa since you’re going a few weeks for me. You know, for science! :rolleyes1 I’m always hearing raves about the bread service!

Hello! I'm also going to follow your trip because it sounds super cute! I'm planning a huge trip for my friends and me in January 2019, so I'm starting to follow winter PTRs. I'm glad you could finally choose! If I was planning a small trip for my and my boyfriend it would be super hard for me to choose too!

Following!!! We are headed to the Poly from Oct 26-Nov 3! I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

The convenience of being able to walk to MK or take the monorail to Epcot made it worth the splurge since my oldest is autistic and uses a stroller as wheelchair. :lovestrucWe will probably use a Minnie van to go to AKL! Hey, you should take one for the team and go to Sanaa since you’re going a few weeks for me. You know, for science! :rolleyes1 I’m always hearing raves about the bread service!
My husband loves naan. I don't have much experience with Indian food so I'm excited. I may take one for science, ha!

Hello! I'm also going to follow your trip because it sounds super cute! I'm planning a huge trip for my friends and me in January 2019, so I'm starting to follow winter PTRs. I'm glad you could finally choose! If I was planning a small trip for my and my boyfriend it would be super hard for me to choose too!

Welcome! I'm so glad you are here! That sounds like fun. I'd love to hear about your trip, too.

Following!!! We are headed to the Poly from Oct 26-Nov 3! I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Oooh, I've never stayed at the Poly, though I've always wanted to. Those are great dates. Are you doing the Halloween party? Thanks for stopping in!

I'm glad I can follow your adventure so thanks for writing the post in the first place! For our trip it's me and my boyfriend and 4 of our friends! We're going to be in Orlando for 7 days with 6 of them in Disney and 1 in Universal because we all really want to go to Harry Potter World! I actually completely understand your troubles now because I'm stuck between which resort I want to stay at now too! :sad:

I'm stuck between All-Star Music and Art of Animation. They're about the same price and in the same area, so it's so hard to decide! We won't spend too much time at the resort anyway, but I like the decorations of Art of Animation more. I've never stayed at either of them, so that makes it even harder.

We're going to drive there because there is so many of us and we're only 12 hours away, so we can take turns driving! I wanted to fly because it's so much easier, but it's just too expensive for all of us to fly.

This trip will be the first ever trip for my boyfriend and 2 other friends, and I'm so very excited to show them Disney! Hopefully they'll understand why I love love love Disney so much after the trip! :cutie:

I'm glad I can follow your adventure so thanks for writing the post in the first place! For our trip it's me and my boyfriend and 4 of our friends! We're going to be in Orlando for 7 days with 6 of them in Disney and 1 in Universal because we all really want to go to Harry Potter World! I actually completely understand your troubles now because I'm stuck between which resort I want to stay at now too! :sad:

I'm stuck between All-Star Music and Art of Animation. They're about the same price and in the same area, so it's so hard to decide! We won't spend too much time at the resort anyway, but I like the decorations of Art of Animation more. I've never stayed at either of them, so that makes it even harder.

We're going to drive there because there is so many of us and we're only 12 hours away, so we can take turns driving! I wanted to fly because it's so much easier, but it's just too expensive for all of us to fly.

This trip will be the first ever trip for my boyfriend and 2 other friends, and I'm so very excited to show them Disney! Hopefully they'll understand why I love love love Disney so much after the trip! :cutie:

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to go to Harry potter at Universal, but my husband doesn't like to leave Disney property once we are there.

I would go with AoA. I've heard great things about the resort. I did not like Music very much when we stated there. I think the food court is better at AoA.

Okay, decision made! Where did I book?

akl-png.300228

Yay I love AKL!

So, I thought about not going on the plan at all. That way, we had no limits at all and could get anything we wanted. I heard the hesitation in my husband's voice and as we were going down the list of restaurants we liked, I kept hearing no from him. I knew he was trying to be practical, but I didn't want him to hold back on the one vacation that we will get this year.

I actually think for 2 people it ends up being cheaper without the plan, because at some points we'll end up splitting food/changing plans/not ordering multiple courses. We do a lot of TS meals so if we ever did a plan it would have to be the deluxe plan and if I calculate it we spend quite a bit, but never as much as the plan.

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to go to Harry potter at Universal, but my husband doesn't like to leave Disney property once we are there.

I would go with AoA. I've heard great things about the resort. I did not like Music very much when we stated there. I think the food court is better at AoA.

I’ve been to Harry’s Potter twice now and it is so cool! Harry Potter is very important to me and my boyfriend because it’s one of the first things I got him into when we first started dating. So I really want him to experience it!

You should totally make a trip out of going to Universal! There’s not as much to do as Disney, but it’s certainly still a fun vacation!

Also I’m leaning toward AoA because the pictures make it look nicer and the rooms look bigger. Also the beds look bigger in the pictures. I don’t know if that’s really true, but one of my friends is over 6ft tall and I don’t want him to be uncomfortable in a really tiny bed such as a sleeper chair in the Music room. Does that make sense? I hope it does.

Yay I love AKL!

I actually think for 2 people it ends up being cheaper without the plan, because at some points we'll end up splitting food/changing plans/not ordering multiple courses. We do a lot of TS meals so if we ever did a plan it would have to be the deluxe plan and if I calculate it we spend quite a bit, but never as much as the plan.

:wave2:

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward canceling the dining plan. There are very few places where we want appetizers or desserts. Most QS restaurants we split our meals anyway. Unless we get a free plan, we will probably go without it.

I’ve been to Harry’s Potter twice now and it is so cool! Harry Potter is very important to me and my boyfriend because it’s one of the first things I got him into when we first started dating. So I really want him to experience it!

You should totally make a trip out of going to Universal! There’s not as much to do as Disney, but it’s certainly still a fun vacation!

Also I’m leaning toward AoA because the pictures make it look nicer and the rooms look bigger. Also the beds look bigger in the pictures. I don’t know if that’s really true, but one of my friends is over 6ft tall and I don’t want him to be uncomfortable in a really tiny bed such as a sleeper chair in the Music room. Does that make sense? I hope it does.
I've been to Universal but it was a very long time ago. I remember when we rode ET and he said "come back, Shannon." It was awesome.

Yeah, your friend would probably not be comfortable in a chair. I think you all would enjoy AoA more.

Yay for deciding to splurge for AKL! It is such a great resort!

I have heard of gastroparesis thanks to Raven on Big Brother this past summer, although, she was probably not the best spokesperson for the condition as the girl was crazy and you could never tell if she was lying or not. Glad you are able to maintain with medication and not needing a pacemaker!

The dining plan does work well to makes sure you feel like your food is prepaid. We haven't done a dining plan in years but we do TIW so I can get discounts that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!