No lobster at captain jacks?

pedro2112 said:
A board member posted that their sister was in WDW last week and ordered lobster on the dining plan at Captain Jack's. Unless you are calling another board member a liar (in a scenario in which it makes no sense to lie), then yes... you can still order lobster on the dining plan at Captain Jacks.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. Until we hear from someone that has actually gotten the lobster themselves in the last few days then it is indeed hearsay. Things change rather quickly. The OP's best bet, if it is that important to her, is to call Captain Jack's themselves. Not Disney but the actual restaurant. That is what I do when I really need the correct info fast. That way you are going to get to the truth. Or should I say the current rule. Personally I can't stand Captain Jack's anyway. Been twice and both times were horrible but I am surrounded by great seafood and am very picky. LOL!

Obviously Disney only pays a restaurant X amount of dollars. But I agree the restaurants are on a winning side too, as someone posted they are filling up the restaurants. Just ask any guest who books ADRs now. They use to be much easier to get, even at last minute.
And just like buffet restaurants, I am sure there are some guests they make money on, some they do not.
I have seen "adult" kids eat barely nothing, like many post on the Dis.
On one hand you have the light eater. On the other you have those ordering the most expensive thing and every thing they can. That is their business what they order and when, as long as it follows in DP policy.
If I had the DP I would be inclined to be more experimentive in my food ordering, or order what I REALLY wanted, rather than stay safe with chicken! :rotfl2:
I say -- Enjoy -- you are on a Disney vacation. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm certainly not calling you a liar, nor am I calling people who said Captain Jack's is dropping lobster a liar either.

First of all it's not clear if the OP was asking about whole lobster or lobster tails. Second CMs have been know to make exceptions and policies can change.

I'll agree your Dsis recent experience suggests that at least some lobster dishes are available.

hopesmommy said:
Thank you perdo2112, you are right I am not a liar and this is not heresay. My Dsis was at WDW from March 4 to March 10 with her two DSs and DH. They waited until 10pm one night to eat at Capn Jacks and got the 2 lobster tails. She enjoyed it so much she called and told me how good it was because I would not wait to eat there in Sept 2005.

So for those of you that are still confused, as of that week YES you can get lobster. And for those of you that believe I am lying, call Capn Jacks or WDW Dining and ASK. ( :firefight I am ready...Flame on)

This has been an interesting post to read. But One VERY important thing to remember is that...Unless Captin Jack's was on the dining place...NO ONE would seek them out to eat there. Think about it, they are not in a big flow of traffic and I have never heard of them (until I signed up for the dining plan and was forced to look at all options).

This dining plan brings in a lot of business to them....so what if one person orders the lobster...I am sure if I go and get the lobster, I will also order wine and my dh will get beer and they have a HUGE mark-up on that stuff....which of course I pay out of pocket for. And then, maybe next time I will come back...if it was good...dining plan or not.

Even if they take a small hit if someone orders lobster (and I can assure you it does not cost them even a fraction of the 31$ to put that meal in front of us), they will still make money on the visit.

I adore lobster and I am planning on going there in Sept to enjoy the casual setting and a yummy dinner.

If you are on the dining plan, get what you like. We hope it turns out to be a big bargin for us...but then again, we have RSVP at Victoria and Albert's so we also don't mind paying for a nice dinner out.

None of us are cheap, we are all spending thousands on this vacation and just want the most for our money...that is nothing to be ashamed of. If I find out that Captin Jack's takes the lobster off the menu, I will prob go somewhere else.

Disney takes extra special care in regards to everything, and I am sure a lot of thought went into the dining plan and I am 100% certain that many of these resturants are happy to be on the plan so more people will eat there. It helps everyone...a big win win.

Have a great trip everyone and enjoy the lobster! :woohoo: :wave: :yay:

Allensfan said:
This has been an interesting post to read. But One VERY important thing to remember is that...Unless Captin Jack's was on the dining place...NO ONE would seek them out to eat there. Think about it, they are not in a big flow of traffic and I have never heard of them (until I signed up for the dining plan and was forced to look at all options).

This dining plan brings in a lot of business to them....so what if one person orders the lobster...I am sure if I go and get the lobster, I will also order wine and my dh will get beer and they have a HUGE mark-up on that stuff....which of course I pay out of pocket for. And then, maybe next time I will come back...if it was good...dining plan or not.

Even if they take a small hit if someone orders lobster (and I can assure you it does not cost them even a fraction of the 31$ to put that meal in front of us), they will still make money on the visit.

I adore lobster and I am planning on going there in Sept to enjoy the casual setting and a yummy dinner.

If you are on the dining plan, get what you like. We hope it turns out to be a big bargin for us...but then again, we have RSVP at Victoria and Albert's so we also don't mind paying for a nice dinner out.

None of us are cheap, we are all spending thousands on this vacation and just want the most for our money...that is nothing to be ashamed of. If I find out that Captin Jack's takes the lobster off the menu, I will prob go somewhere else.

Disney takes extra special care in regards to everything, and I am sure a lot of thought went into the dining plan and I am 100% certain that many of these resturants are happy to be on the plan so more people will eat there. It helps everyone...a big win win.

Allenfan for some odd reason Captain Jacks was very popular before the dining plan. Many have heard about the place as it is one of the original restaurants at DtD. We've been going to WDW for years and years and I have always seen a line for that restaurant. I do not think they were hurting for business.

Wow, I did not know that. When I called Captin Jack's to see if any RSVPs could be made (of course I was told no) I mentioned that I was on the dining plan and if that was okay and they were very happy to hear that. They said the dining plan has been introducing more people to their resturant and encouraging people to leave the bigger parks and come check them out.

I know we would have never known they were even there with out joining the dining plan. But then again, I am not a Disney expert like many of the people here.

I just think that the last thing we all need to worry about is if the resturants are getting enough money. I am sure they do just fine and if they felt they were hurting because they offered lobster, then they would remove it from the menu.

You guys have such great advice..Thanks! :lovestruc

I would not have known about eating at CapnJacks either until someone had posted photos of their lobster tails at dinner on the DDP. I thought it looked yummy and put it on our planned nights out. I had read that they did not take ADR, so I did not bother to call about this place. I was discussing going to CapnJacks on another post when someone mentioned that their family member had just come back and they were not allowed to get the lobster tails when they went to eat at CapnJacks. I was shocked since I had already heard several people mention eating lobster tails at this restaurant. I was just curious if they had made a change or started to have exclusions on DDP. I want to know all this stuff before I make my plans. It seems so hard to get last minute reservations to other places so I don't want to be left standing in line somewhere else if we can't get what we want at this location. I have read some reviews on the restaurant and most were not that good but the ones that had lobster seemed to enjoy this place. I would go if they offer lobster but probably not if they excluded it from the DDP. I don't feel cheap at all or feel like anyone is calling me cheap if I choose to order lobster on DDP. I paid for it and I want to get what I am allowed to get on the plan. Others had mention on some other posts that they felt like they were treated badly at some restaurants because they ordered expensive meals and the servers treated them badly. They felt like it was because they were on the DDP! Who knows for sure why they were treated badly, but I was curious about the tipping part. I wondered if the servers only were tipped 18% of the $25 average or on the amount your bill would have been if you paid yourself. WHew! That was a mouthful! Does that make any sense?????

I could not agree more...I selected Captin Jack's because we like lobster and enjoy eating it...just like I selected San angel Inn because we love mexican food. We all look at the menus and when we see something that we know our family will enjoy that effects our choices. If Captin Jack's removed the lobster, I would try and think of another place to go.

By the way...does anyone have any places they loved? I am eating at San Angel, Coral Reef, California Grill, Chef Mickey's and Victoria and Albert's. Since I will be paying for V & A myself, I used the two credits for California Grill..but I still have a one credit dining to use and if I don;t end up going to CJ then I will have to pick a #2 option :o).

mom2my3kids said:
I thought Disney owned all the the restaraunts on property? Is that not true??

Not true. Most (all?) of the WS restaurants aren't owned by Disney. Most (all?) of the DTD hotels aren't owned by Disney. The RFC at AK isn't owned by Disney. Some of the restaurants in the Boardwalk aren't Disney owned. None of the restaurants at S/D, SoG and the DTD hotels are disney owned. I'm not sure but I think the restaurant at CSR isn't Disney owned.

Allensfan said:

I love your post and agree 100% with you!

I am not cheap by any means, I certainly do NOT order the most expensive thing on the menu unless I want it and I cannot see ANYONE in their right minds doing that either. People are so mean spirited when it comes to Disney, it hurts to hear others calling people on the dining plan cheap like they were on welfare or something (NOT that there is anything wrong with that either) or 2nd class citizens because they choose not to particpate in the plan, most likely because they are planning on spending less on dining, which is cool, it's their vacation. We are NOT ruining it for them, if they are stressing over this, then they are ruining it for themselves. I didn't even know this was a problem for people, but I guess I'm not surprised to find out it is. I love the dining plan, it rocks!! Disney has a great thing going here with the dining plan, otherwise a lot of people would be dining off site where it's literally 1/10th of the price.

So I echo the above post, go enjoy your vacations, do NOT even give those mean spirited kill joys a thought when you order what YOU want off the menu!

:thumbsup2

It has nothing to do with treating you as a second class citizen. It has everything to do with heavily disparate items in price on the menu.
At some places the one or two most expensive things on the menu were proportionate in price to the two credit places. Yet most everything else was far more appropriate for one credit. So that's a catch 22. Do you make it two credits and anyone that doesn't want those two items gets robbed? Or do you leave it one and everyone gets those two items. and you get robbed? Or do you put limitations on the plan and everyone complains about those on the dining plan not being allowed those things? Or do you simply take them off the menu. It's a tough decision and one that could be answered differently depending upon a large number of factors. I've never gotten the impression at any restaurant down there that anyone felt I was a second class citizen for being on the dining plan. I can't say the same thing as to these boards or this thread though. And I don't think the dining plan is solely responsible for certain things going off menus. It may be responsible for some things, but not all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter