No luggage delivery for now with Magical Express

We're just going "old school". MEARS taxi or shuttle. We did this decades ago, before ME existed.
ME dead? We will revert to what worked, until ME exists again.
Does Mears collect your luggage for you? I'm confused as to what you think is better/different? I'm annoyed about the change of luggage services, but that doesn't mean I want to pay for the same transportation offered for free??? The only thing I might do is now get our own car... is there some benefit to the mears im missing?

Mears Shuttle will not take reservations to go to any Disney resort. They will accept walkup requests. They will then very likely put you on a Magical Express bus - so you're paying about $20 pp each way, that you would otherwise be using free. Also, the Mears desk may have moved, but more likely it's on the same level as Magical Express.

edited to correct Meats to Mears (x2) and his to bus
So - MEARS cab. If MEARS cabs are out of business? LYFT, or UBER. But I don't think they are out of business, to WDW. I checked their Website 17:22 EST, 7-11-2020. They even have a COVID Policy....

https://www.mearstransportation.com/pdfs/Mears COVID-19 Safety Guidelines_20200622.pdf
https://www.mearstransportation.com/orlando-taxi/

Last edited:
Does Mears collect your luggage for you? I'm confused as to what you think is better/different? I'm annoyed about the change of luggage services, but that doesn't mean I want to pay for the same transportation offered for free??? The only thing I might do is now get our own car... is there some benefit to the mears im missing?
Fewer humans in a fairly crowded space :). Sadly, no luggage collection - gotta pick up bags at MCO, then check bags at MCO on departure. However: also no 20 minute wait for DME departure + 45 minute DME "loop" to get to your WDW Hotel....

DME is great - it's free :). But over the years? We've done both. The old school MEARS Taxi service was faster - and these days? LOTS fewer humans in your airspace :). When we go? We won't use MEARS to save money.... we'll use it to further limit exposure to others.

Now - the AIRLINE? Still very concerned about that :(.

Last edited:

This is very disappointing, especially since we're checking out on July 16th, the very day this policy takes effect, and had planned to use RAC. RAC was a truly great perk of staying at a Disney resort, as was the check-in bags being magically whisked to your resort room by DME. I'll always remember on our very first trip to Disney World, as a single mom with a 5 year-old, how reassuring and helpful that service was to me for our first big trip across country.

10 years later, I've got a strong and helpful teenager to manage the bags, and we're now both experienced travelers. I rented a car for our current trip, and probably always will from now on. DME changing their policy just gives me one more reason to drive instead of depend on WDW transportation.

I feel bad for those less experienced and/or less strong travelers who need more help & will not get it from Disney, now. I hope Disney brings back the old policy eventually.

Last edited:
I won’t miss the luggage delivery nearly as much as RAC. To me, one of the best parts of the actual traveling involved to Disney was that I could check our luggage at our resort and not need to worry about waiting in a long line to do it at the airport. Now it feels about the same travel-wise as any other destination. I wonder if DME will need to pick guests up earlier to accommodate needing to check bags at the airport? I have no idea. I haven’t traveled since March, and I’m guessing airports aren’t quite the busy place they were pre-pandemic.

I feel bad for those less experienced and/or less strong travelers who need more help & will not get it from Disney, now. I hope Disney brings back the old policy eventually.
This is likely temporary. But as for feeling sorry for less experienced travelers, well, common sense is you shouldn't travel with more than you can handle; and ship I empathize with less strong targets (being a disabled solo traveler), well, really, again, don't travel with more than you can handle.

This is likely temporary. But as for feeling sorry for less experienced travelers, well, common sense is you shouldn't travel with more than you can handle; and ship I empathize with less strong targets (being a disabled solo traveler), well, really, again, don't travel with more than you can handle.
It is better to sympathize or not comment at all, than to continually preach to others about how they should travel. Some people just can't manage bags on their own for various reasons & need help with them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm in that same situation myself. If it weren't for my son, I couldn't handle a single suitcase carry-on or check-in bag. A lot of people just need others' help.

Last edited:
It is better to sympathize or not comment at all, than to continually preach to others about how they should travel. Some people just can't manage bags on their own for various reasons & need help with them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm in that same situation myself. If it weren't for my son, I couldn't handle a single suitcase carry-on or check-in bag. A lot of people just need others' help.
This is going to require some running around for us, it's just me and my 86 year old mom at the airport. Mom is in a wheelchair, so now I will probably run her over to the DME area and leave the carryons with her, run back to grab our suitcases and lug them over to DME, and then juggle to get her and the bags through the line and then do the same thing on the way home. Sorry, for us this stinks and I hope it's back by September. In fact, I'm going to email Disney about it not that it would matter. :(

This is going to require some running around for us, it's just me and my 86 year old mom at the airport. Mom is in a wheelchair, so now I will probably run her over to the DME area and leave the carryons with her, run back to grab our suitcases and lug them over to DME, and then juggle to get her and the bags through the line and then do the same thing on the way home. Sorry, for us this stinks and I hope it's back by September. In fact, I'm going to email Disney about it not that it would matter. :(
If you request wheelchair assist at the,airport (both home and MCO), they will help accommodate you. Even with picking up your luggage!

yes this! I was a younger single mom Who had never traveled before and actually chose disney based on those services and the convenience of the luggage delivery and RAC when leaving. It made our first trips so much less stressful. It isn’t a huge deal now but I am still disappointed with it - especially since last week I got multiple emails saying RAC was resuming June 12 and that our yellow tags would be sent.

If you request wheelchair assist at the,airport (both home and MCO), they will help accommodate you. Even with picking up your luggage!
We are bringing her travel wheelchair and renting a better one from Gold Mobility for the parks. But if we could get luggage assistance, that would be good. Thank you!

I know BAGS Inc. did the Disney luggage delivery, I was looking into booking them independently to deliver our bags to the hotel when we arrive in November if this is still in place. It seems it will be about $15/suitcase.

Do you know any cheap options for shipping luggage?!

We are renting a car and no RAC means we’ll have to fit our 2 kids in car seats, their two strollers plus 4 suitcases AND carryons. I’d honestly rather just ship it home.

Why can't the valet at the resort deliver the bags to the room while the guests are out? It's actually "safer" to do that and eliminate extra interactions (both at the bus unloading and with the valet at your room door at delivery) to do so, and they will need to deliver the bags to your room anyway. I mean if Disney is gonna go "all in" for safety trying to prevent as many interactions between guests and cast members as possible, I still think this decision does the opposite, actually adding interactions. Either we need to eliminate all unnecessary interactions or we don't, no point in reducing some and adding others.

With everything being contactless, right now, things are left outside your door, not put into your room or given to you. Since they don't know if you've been in your room and it's not a good idea to leave your luggage in the hall, the rule is to wait until you are there and call to ask for it's delivery. It's a rule to keep cast members as safe as possible. Sure, in some cases it doesn't make sense, but having 800 exceptions just makes things too complicated for everyone to follow.

I know BAGS Inc. did the Disney luggage delivery, I was looking into booking them independently to deliver our bags to the hotel when we arrive in November if this is still in place. It seems it will be about $15/suitcase.

Do you know any cheap options for shipping luggage?!
I don't know of one cheaper than $15 per piece. That's a great price.

Check Luggagefree and lugless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter