No more bags

Just got back from a trip and I can confirm at each Disney park and DS that we were always automatically given a bag if I didn't stop them. I would definitely think the first step is to ask if the person needs a bag or not, esp. for things like pins.

I use cotton canvas bags at home for all my grocery shopping, and I have no problem taking a bag to a mall, but I won't be taking a bag into the parks as I rarely buy something every day and I only carry a small cross body wallet for a purse, which also means I don't mind them charging a few cents for a bag either, then once I have one bag I'll just use that.

I've never had a reusable one rip or tear. I've used them the last 2 years at the grocery every week. Around here the stores have mostly stopped using plastic. It really isn't a big deal. People adapt.
I have a few of their reusable bags myself (though they're the pre-'going green' ones since I've bought them last year), but only one is still getting regular reuse in my local supermarket because my larger one ripped apart at the side, and the smallest one has been reused to death as a lunch bag, and has already fluffed so it's pretty much weakened, but having heard about the quality issues of their new reusable bags, it's making me question about the unintended consequences 'going green' is already causing. However, I can never adapt to bringing my own bags to a mall because of the practicality factor of doing so, and because I don't go to Disney Stores as frequently as supermarkets when I'm at home (though they're not doing 'going green' here due to the charging strategy they're using here, which is what they rather did in the US as well), it's highly unlikely I'm ever going to remember because there are times where I don't really have a planned trip to a Disney Store, but still go in regardless to check out the latest deals.
Just got back from a trip and I can confirm at each Disney park and DS that we were always automatically given a bag if I didn't stop them. I would definitely think the first step is to ask if the person needs a bag or not, esp. for things like pins.

I use cotton canvas bags at home for all my grocery shopping, and I have no problem taking a bag to a mall, but I won't be taking a bag into the parks as I rarely buy something every day and I only carry a small cross body wallet for a purse, which also means I don't mind them charging a few cents for a bag either, then once I have one bag I'll just use that.
I've always questioned about the efficiency of bagging purchases in Disney, and the US in general. My experiences in NYC showed how massively inefficient stores are when it comes to bagging purchases compared to in the UK, and when I shopped in the Disney Store there earlier this year (before 'going green') and last year, I ended up with so many plastic bags, which isn't helped by the fact I went in daily for even just one thing, and although I didn't buy as much last year as I did this year, I still ended up with a grossly-gratuitous amount because of how they were wrapping up the mugs, which has made me think that they brought the wastage problem upon themselves, and the least they could have done is to reduce the amount given out by being more efficient with the bagging and only dish them out upon request, or better still, charge a fee that's smaller than the dollar they're charging for their low-quality synthetic cloth bags that only cost a mere dime to manufacture, which is a lot of people are taking issue to. In the Parks, I definitely agree that they should just charge a small fee for a plastic bag, even though the July announcement, despite misleading reports pointing to a phaseout, already announced that they would reduce the number given out by being more efficient with the bags and offering reusables as an option, with WoD being the first Parks store to offer the optional $1-2 totes at the point of sale as part of their strategy.

Will take the word of others that bags are still available, as we haven't been to Disney for several months, but almost 100% of my purchases at Disney stores are impulse buys, so if I'm not offered a bag, I won't buy. I have no desire to carry empty bags with me in the parks, nor will I buy another reusable bag that I don't need and won't use (except for some grocery stores).

I don't get the impulse buy argument.

Are that many of you really just popping into a Disney Store because you happen to be walking past one on your way home from something? Do you have that many freestanding stores in areas you happen to always be in?

I would think most of the time, if you happen to impulse buy something in a Disney Store, it's because you are already out shopping for something. And if you are already out shopping...take a bag with you! ;)

Are that many of you really just popping into a Disney Store because you happen to be walking past one on your way home from something? Do you have that many freestanding stores in areas you happen to always be in?

I would think most of the time, if you happen to impulse buy something in a Disney Store, it's because you are already out shopping for something. And if you are already out shopping...take a bag with you! ;)
The impulse buy argument is based on the fact that the majority of Disney Stores are situated in malls and big cities within walking distance of many other stores, and particularly because malls have so many stores, people would go in spontaneously and they may get drawn in by special offers, so being caught out by the bag situation is going to be one that causes a lot of frustration, even to those who are more accustomed to the thought of bringing their own bags to the supermarket or Costco than to the mall. From my personal experience, I went in the Times Square Disney Store back during the Spring Event sale in March and I was bombarded by special offers, so outside of two planned trips (one to try to get the March Mickey Mouse Memories Collection release and one to have a $200 spree), I went in everyday and I was making many a spontaneous purchase, and of course I didn't have my own bags, and even if I did, my rucksack couldn't accommodate more than one reusable bag or even the purchases, so having a bag provided was beneficial to me. The least I did environmental-wise was by never throwing them away and saving them for future use/keeps or even for recycling, which is far better than trying to reuse their NWPP bags that have a heavy carbon footprint and require around 11-30 reuses before any benefit can actually be felt, or worse, cotton. I just see the whole thing as being forced, which personally I see it as being very un-Disney.
Will take the word of others that bags are still available, as we haven't been to Disney for several months, but almost 100% of my purchases at Disney stores are impulse buys, so if I'm not offered a bag, I won't buy. I have no desire to carry empty bags with me in the parks, nor will I buy another reusable bag that I don't need and won't use (except for some grocery stores).
This is why I'm strongly against any moves that sacrifice convenience for what is a rather futile environmental virtue-signalling move that will only alienate guests except hairshirters who love their anti-plastic environmentalism so much. If I go to a mall, I don't want to have to worry about bringing my own bags to just that one store in case I might buy something there or more than one thing because it's too impractical for me, and it's not always going to be practical for others, not to mention that I disagree with their excessive 99c charge when the bag realistically only costs 10c to make.

Right. So you are in a mall, meaning you are already out shopping. If you have reusable bags at home and you are going out for the purpose of shopping, bring some with you. You can fold them inside of one another so in essence you are carrying one bag. Then you have enough bags with you if you happen to make an extra stop at a store.

I've solved everyone's problems. :)

And if they are still giving bags out as reported, then who cares? I'll use my reusable bags and you won't. Life goes on! (for a little while anyways... ;) )

Right. So you are in a mall, meaning you are already out shopping. If you have reusable bags at home and you are going out for the purpose of shopping, bring some with you. You can fold them inside of one another so in essence you are carrying one bag. Then you have enough bags with you if you happen to make an extra stop at a store.

I've solved everyone's problems. :)

And if they are still giving bags out as reported, then who cares? I'll use my reusable bags and you won't. Life goes on! (for a little while anyways... ;) )
:rotfl2: methinks you're not actually listening to other people's comments.

But you have my word next time I go to my local mall I'll make sure to note how many people are carrying around reusable bags with them as opposed to getting the Nordstrom plastic bag, that Dillards plastic bag, that Victoria's Secret plastic bag and oh so many others :thumbsup2

Playing point-counterpoint on a message board doesn't mean I don't comprehend what I'm reading @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson.

I'm not really interested in how many people carry reusable bags with them, but you can count them if you'd like. :)

So in conclusion, I use reusable bags most of the time. Others just use for grocery shopping.

I may find myself out and about one day (bag-less!) and want to stop in a Disney store and buy something. I will pay 99 cents for a bag. Or just hold it in my hands.

Last edited:

I would think most of the time, if you happen to impulse buy something in a Disney Store, it's because you are already out shopping for something. And if you are already out shopping...take a bag with you! :confused3

You don't have to 'get' it! Maybe that's not how you operate. I was actually talking about purchases made in the Disney parks, but it is mostly the same at their stores in the Mall I live near. If I'm walking past, I usually pop in to see what, if anything, is new and interesting. Am I that unusual that I enjoy shopping and often am 'out and about' with no certain purchase in mind?? :confused3

Nope, not taking bags with me (except for grocery shopping). You shop your way, doesn't bother me at all...I'll shop mine. :)

You don't have to 'get' it! Maybe that's not how you operate. I was actually talking about purchases made in the Disney parks, but it is mostly the same at their stores in the Mall I live near. If I'm walking past, I usually pop in to see what, if anything, is new and interesting. Am I that unusual that I enjoy shopping and often am 'out and about' with no certain purchase in mind?? :confused3

Nope, not taking bags with me (except for grocery shopping). You shop your way, doesn't bother me at all...I'll shop mine. :)

No I guess not unusual.

I was mostly speaking of the Disney Store in relation to my life. If I were to go in one spontaneously, it would have to be because I was already out shopping. Or else I wouldn't be near one. :)

My reusable bags fold into tiny pouches that are about as big as a compact. I always have one in my purse, or car, or bike bag. Even wandering places spontaneously, I have a bag, just as I have a pack of Kleenex and a wallet. I don’t get people wandering into a mall without a purse, but I guess I could see it wandering a park. Then again, if I go through all the trouble of going bag free in a park I’m very unlikely to buy something I have to carry around.

I think I need to go to my local mall and make a tally of people who have brought reusable bags with them as opposed to bags given to them from stores they've bought from ;) :D
If there's many, then I do wonder how on earth they make that practical, unless of course they either carry them around in handbags, rucksacks, in hand or strollers. However, everyone's different, and I'm one of those people who aren't able to do that, particularly because I don't always have the means, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea I only do that for one store in case I might buy something there, or if I'm planning a sale spree, I'd have to take enough, and the problem with their largest 99c bags is that they cannot accommodate as many purchases as what their jumbo-sized bags could carry, which was highlighted during Black Friday when someone complained about being forced to buy the expensive jumbo holiday tote for $5. That doesn't help Disney's criticism of being overpriced, and the stores have for years been trying to shake off the ill-gotten image ever since the slump of the 2000s.

If there's many, then I do wonder how on earth they make that practical, unless of course they either carry them around in handbags, rucksacks, in hand or strollers. However, everyone's different, and I'm one of those people who aren't able to do that, particularly because I don't always have the means, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea I only do that for one store in case I might buy something there, or if I'm planning a sale spree, I'd have to take enough, and the problem with their largest 99c bags is that they cannot accommodate as many purchases as what their jumbo-sized bags could carry, which was highlighted during Black Friday when someone complained about being forced to buy the expensive jumbo holiday tote for $5. That doesn't help Disney's criticism of being overpriced, and the stores have for years been trying to shake off the ill-gotten image ever since the slump of the 2000s.
Yeah it's not that I don't see people every now and then with reusable bags at certain places (Aldi being one of them, sometimes Walmart,etc)........but at our local mall? Hence my comment about checking it out. I was half joking half serious. Does make me want to do a quick observation especially during the busy holiday season though :scratchin lol

Last time I stuffed items into my backpack store security stopped me. I would have liked to use the excuse of "going green" back then! Long ago, different time. Let's all use some common sense. Everyone is free to bring reusable bags if they wish. Everyone is free not to bring them. This should not be an either / or situation. I disagree with the idea of being forced to only use one option. The point of a "sale" to increase impulse purchases to take advantage of a deal? All the signs fluttering on what a deal for a limited time, buy, buy, buy and oh yeah you cannot have a bag. You should have brought one from home...

You just have to keep your receipt if you take the items with you sans bag. I haven't read where you have to go without a bag, you may have to pay for one however.

To be honest I think it's kinda crazy that when you go to the Disney Store they tell you it's disney policy to not use plastic bags anymore... then you go to the theme parks or shops in your hotel and they automatically bag up whatever you buy, no matter how big in a large bag.

To be honest I think it's kinda crazy that when you go to the Disney Store they tell you it's disney policy to not use plastic bags anymore... then you go to the theme parks or shops in your hotel and they automatically bag up whatever you buy, no matter how big in a large bag.
The CMs are just conflating it as if it were a pan-Disney thing to try and pressure-sell you the bag, when really it's just the Disney Store, and there's already been so much opposition to it that even the July announcement merely mentioned "reducing plastic shopping bags" in relation to the Parks, Resorts and Cruise Line, NOT "eliminating plastic shopping bags" (note the difference in language), since the only eliminations mentioned in there were merely the food and drink service plastics. However, they still press ahead with 'going green' in the Stores despite the amount of complaints both the CMs and Disney Store (from what I can gather from comments online) have received ever since the phaseout, so surely they should be coming to their senses by now seeing as the Consumer Products division has posted a loss in the recent Disney financial report? Sooner or later, the whole 'going green' thing will put more people off going into a Disney Store and they'll just take their business online, and that results in more stores closing down, which is never good, particularly when it's an older Disney Store that has been in business since the Renaissance.
Last time I stuffed items into my backpack store security stopped me. I would have liked to use the excuse of "going green" back then! Long ago, different time. Let's all use some common sense. Everyone is free to bring reusable bags if they wish. Everyone is free not to bring them. This should not be an either / or situation. I disagree with the idea of being forced to only use one option. The point of a "sale" to increase impulse purchases to take advantage of a deal? All the signs fluttering on what a deal for a limited time, buy, buy, buy and oh yeah you cannot have a bag. You should have brought one from home...
Bringing your own bags should always be a democratic choice, and if people feel better by doing so, then I have no qualms, but having it forced on people, particularly those who can't and especially in the Disney Store is an affront to that freedom, and that's like having a militant vegan as a mayor in your city and then implementing a draconian ordinance banning meat and other animal products, which then results in a lot of revulsion towards even moderate vegans and drives business outside the city limits.

Just got back from WDW last night. Made many purchases and got the (usual) bag with each one.
Only World of Disney first asked if I wanted to buy a $1.00 Nicely decorated shopping bag. (It was quite nice but I said no only because DH was with me and he thinks I'm a tote bag hoarder. Closer to true than not).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!