No more bags

Yes......
I'm bringing a Brita filter bottle on my next WDW visit and will see if it makes the water palatable.
Just to let you know, we purchase gallon water bottles for our tea. We don't drink coffee.

We tried using a Brita, and it didn't do enough. The tea was awful.

I live in NJ and the Disney store I go to is following this policy as well. I was told about this on Earth Day and I got a couple of the "green" bags to bring with me the next time I shop. Of course I usually forget to bring the bag with me to the store. The last time I was there about a week ago they stated they had a few plastic bags available if I didn't want to purchase a bag but going forward they wouldn't have any plastic bags. You either have to pay for a bag, bring your own bag or carry your purchases out of the store un-bagged...I very politely told the cast member that I didn't like the new policy, I think Disney is being very cheep to say the least. I'm a very faithful Disney fane, I wear a Mickey watch and earrings every day, I have a Disney credit card, I'm a DVC member and an annual pass holder and Disney can't give me a bag to carry my purchases out in??? I don't like the new policy to say the least.

On another note the new governor of NJ wants to start charging 5 cents for plastic bags at the grocery stores, I guess this would carry over to other retail outlet. Again I don't like this policy either. I recycle my plastic bags and anything else that can be recycled...

I live in NJ and the Disney store I go to is following this policy as well. I was told about this on Earth Day and I got a couple of the "green" bags to bring with me the next time I shop. Of course I usually forget to bring the bag with me to the store. The last time I was there about a week ago they stated they had a few plastic bags available if I didn't want to purchase a bag but going forward they wouldn't have any plastic bags. You either have to pay for a bag, bring your own bag or carry your purchases out of the store un-bagged...I very politely told the cast member that I didn't like the new policy, I think Disney is being very cheep to say the least. I'm a very faithful Disney fane, I wear a Mickey watch and earrings every day, I have a Disney credit card, I'm a DVC member and an annual pass holder and Disney can't give me a bag to carry my purchases out in??? I don't like the new policy to say the least.

On another note the new governor of NJ wants to start charging 5 cents for plastic bags at the grocery stores, I guess this would carry over to other retail outlet. Again I don't like this policy either. I recycle my plastic bags and anything else that can be recycled...
And I'm certain that every one of those billions of nickles will go towards fixing the problems that Mankind has caused for Mother Earth.
Bull stuff.....
It's just another Politicians way of sticking their greasy hands in the Citizens pockets.

This is awesome! I always carry those reusable bags that fold into tiny bundles in my purse. I've also been using canvas bags for grocery shopping since I was in my early 20's ( I used to get made fun of back then, my mother even said I looked like my grandmother with her little grocery totes). It's easy once you get used to it. I store all of the canvas bags inside of one in a small bundle in my car. I've occasionally gone shopping when I forgot my bags and it's shocking how many plastic bags it takes for groceries for a family of four. Plus they don't hold much and break easily. I started using the canvas ones when I was young not due to the environment but because they hold a lot, never break and I could get all of my bags inside in one shot (nice during bad weather!). Now it's that and for the environment. I admire Disney for taking this step.

Forgive me if I missed a post about this already, but my local Disney store said that beginning this week they will no longer have bags. I was told to either bring a reusable bag when I shop or I can purchase one at checkout (.99 I think). The reason given was that they are "going green." I'm all for green initiatives, but this one seems pretty odd to me.
Using evidence they will find it will not help at all but will make people feel like they are really doing something for the environment.

And I'm certain that every one of those billions of nickles will go towards fixing the problems that Mankind has caused for Mother Earth.
Bull stuff.....
It's just another Politicians way of sticking their greasy hands in the Citizens pockets.
Hurricane Harvey that hit Texas in 2017 had enough energy to light every light bulb in the North American continent for the next 100 years. Man cannot compete with nature one way or the other. Most of the plastic bags clogging the environment are coming from Asia.

I guess I am a bit contrary. Charge me for a bag and I am going to order the stuff online and watch that store eventually close. Now if you put my stuff in a paperbag I will cheerfully take that but I am sick and tired and getting nickeled and dimed to death and being told its good for me.

Is this just the Disney stores in the malls or does it include shops in the theme parks (and Disney Springs)?
My local community started the 5c charge earlier this year. I know the policy and have some reusable bags in each car. Not really an issue. Some stores, like Aldi and COSTCO never supplied bags. Again I know the policy and bring bags.
A Disney store is the only store in the mall with a charge for bag policy. A "regular" non-Disney geek customer, who walks into the store probably won't know the policy and won't have a reusable bag. Sorry but that's a money grab, JMO.

My understanding is the plastic bags aren't readily recyclable. Stores may have a place to return used bags "for recycling" but it's not clear what's really done with them.

It appears more customers are bringing their own bags. Fewer customers are paying for bags. I understand some stores are thinking about discontinuing even offering plastic bags for sale at 5c.

I don't plan on bringing reusable bags to the parks. I don't plan on paying 5c per bag, particularly on merchandise I have sent to my room. This small charge would be enough to affect park purchases.

Is this just the Disney stores in the malls or does it include shops in the theme parks (and Disney Springs)?
My local community started the 5c charge earlier this year. I know the policy and have some reusable bags in each car. Not really an issue. Some stores, like Aldi and COSTCO never supplied bags. Again I know the policy and bring bags.
A Disney store is the only store in the mall with a charge for bag policy. A "regular" non-Disney geek customer, who walks into the store probably won't know the policy and won't have a reusable bag. Sorry but that's a money grab, JMO.

My understanding is the plastic bags aren't readily recyclable. Stores may have a place to return used bags "for recycling" but it's not clear what's really done with them.

It appears more customers are bringing their own bags. Fewer customers are paying for bags. I understand some stores are thinking about discontinuing even offering plastic bags for sale at 5c.

I don't plan on bringing reusable bags to the parks. I don't plan on paying 5c per bag, particularly on merchandise I have sent to my room. This small charge would be enough to affect park purchases.

There was a link in this thread to a story about this today, but it has been removed - https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...m-plastics-and-plastic-shopping-bags.3695796/

Not sure why the link was pulled, I see another link to the same website in the Ratatouille thread.

Last edited:
My guess the free bags will come back to Disney someday when they realize they are losing lots of money by the sales being down. Even if the sales are down 10 percent that a lot of millions. Yes they will make up a little bit of it by charging for reusable bags. Lots of people will not buy because they won’t get a free bag. My guess they had a meeting about expenses and someone mention the cost of the bags what it was costing Disney. Than someone said let’s get rid of the bags and we will say it’s because of the environment. But they didn’t realize that sales will be less.

Last edited:
My guess the free bags will come back to Disney someday when they realize they are losing lots of money by the sales being down. Even if the sales are down 10 percent that a lot of millions. Yes they will make up a little bit of it by charging for reusable bags. Lots of people will not buy because they won’t get a free bag. My guess they had a meeting about expenses and someone mention the cost of the bags what it was costing Disney. Than someone said let’s get riff of the bags and we will say it’s because of the environment. But they didn’t realize that sales will be less.
I disagree here. Some states like CA now ban plastic bags. I don’t think sales are down there in all stores. As for Disney you can easily have items shipped back to your resort or even home. Also on vacation people are more likely to buy things for convenience which would mean people are likely going to buy that reusable bag.

I disagree here. Some states like CA now ban plastic bags. I don’t think sales are down there in all stores. As for Disney you can easily have items shipped back to your resort or even home. Also on vacation people are more likely to buy things for convenience which would mean people are likely going to buy that reusable bag.
I haven't kept up on it too too much but are they still going to provide bags for package pickup locations inside the parks?

My Disney store ran out of bags today. Fortunately I had been shopping at TCP so I didn't need to buy a re-useable bag. (again lol)

Hurricane Harvey that hit Texas in 2017 had enough energy to light every light bulb in the North American continent for the next 100 years. Man cannot compete with nature one way or the other. Most of the plastic bags clogging the environment are coming from Asia.

I have no idea what your point is. I guess we should just blame it all on Asia and give up trying to be better stewards of the environment in the USA?

I have no idea what your point is. I guess we should just blame it all on Asia and give up trying to be better stewards of the environment in the USA?
My point is man is not capable of competing with mother nature. My comment had nothing to do with being a good steward of the environment-I think we should just be rationale in decisions we make and if they will actually be effective.

A perspective: I was driving to the town board meeting to give input during public comment on a proposed bag tax. Followed a trash collection truck to town hall. Plastic shopping bags flew out out of the collection bucket, and when it tipped into the back as well. Arriving at the meeting, I was told to control bag pollution I needed to pay $0.05 cents each. I asked why we don't hire a better collection system, and leave me my nickels?

Here at Disney, bag removal and straw bans just begs the question about how their waste processing system works? I don't see litter, so I assume it is all gathered efficiently. Therefore the real problem must be downstream. Now I have to pay for a bag, or not use a straw, because waste processors cannot handle the materials? How about employing a company that can? Or how do we know the waste company cannot handle the items like bags or straws? Or is this just illusion?

One last point - I absolutely agree that Disney has the right, and ability, to charge for bags. They can call it what they like. But at the risk of paying public seeing it as one more fee for increase nickels / decrease costs, that are already built in. Like the parking fee. But they do have that right to put it in place, and I do not have a right to know justification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!