No more gingerbread house making

Thanks for the explanation, I am one who really enjoyed the house decorating! However, I think your cookie looks yummy, and my DH does too.

:)

Definitely not always true.
During the merrytime cruises we would get donated at least one a cruise, sometimes two or three. They would be kept backstage (and not because our cabins are so small, they’re definitely big enough for some gingerbread lol) by the clock in machine and would all be eaten by the end of the day by a team of around 50...

Maybe you wouldn’t do it, judge away! Maybe once you’re crew and you live off mess food for months on end you lose ‘normal’ peoples food morals...

Huh, I stand corrected. Truthfully I am a bit of a germaphobe, so all I can think about when I think of eating someone else's gingerbread house is the mental image of that person licking some sticky icing off their fingers and then popping another candy on.

Huh, I stand corrected. Truthfully I am a bit of a germaphobe, so all I can think about when I think of eating someone else's gingerbread house is the mental image of that person licking some sticky icing off their fingers and then popping another candy on.

I'm with you. Frankly I don't even like it when my own kids eat the gingerbread house they decorated themselves even if they washed their hands. But then maybe I'm just kind of a nut.

@LCoulter DH heard they were doing cookies and went to WM and bought me a small gingerbread house kit to bring with us. I have been dreaming of doing it on the boat for years.

Did they offer it more than once?

They offered it once. For us it was on the second sea day which was the day before Casaway. It was from 9am-10:15am in Animators. They had each place setting setup with cookie on a napkin, white icing in bag with tip cut and a small plastic cup with the small round hard sugar balls...really wished they used the crunchies instead. As people left, they reset the place setting. Goofy came in for a visit and there was hot and warm chocolate as well as chocolate chip cookies.

Because this can (hopefully) accommodate more families, I'm all for it!

As first time-cruisers last year, we had an 11:30 AM PAT, and therefore no hope of decorating a gingerbread house. This was fine - nobody in our party was upset or anything, and we enjoyed MANY other Christmas activities on our cruise - but I appreciate shifting this to an "anyone can show up" activity, rather than an "early PAT people get tickets" activity.

I actually like this change. We're two adults traveling, and the gingerbread house would have been too much for us. I also don't like taking away an opportunity from others who would enjoy making the houses. With a gingerbread figure, it would be easy for us to share or do our own.

With 3 kids, decorating the gingerbread house was rather disappointing - taking turns with the icing was no fun, etc. Now each could decorate a cookie? I'm all for this change!

And if they're that shape they make perfect reindeer! The "head" becomes his nose and you draw the antlers onto the "legs"

Thanks for the explanation, I am one who really enjoyed the house decorating! However, I think your cookie looks yummy, and my DH does too.

:)
Nope, I was a big fan of the houses. I will be skipping the cookies as it will become way too crowded.

And if they're that shape they make perfect reindeer! The "head" becomes his nose and you draw the antlers onto the "legs"
Cute idea. I'll have to try that!

Nope, I was a big fan of the houses. I will be skipping the cookies as it will become way too crowded.
I hope it is not too crazy. But since I have never been on a very merry I will do it.

I understand all the reasons why not... but I am still very disappointed. I would be willing to pay to make the gingerbread house. I am also disappointed they seem to only be offering the cookies once. I can see it being very popular as well as conflicting with other plans. With my luck it will be held during my Palo brunch time

I think it's basically a drop in event that is held for two hours, so once people are done they leave, which seems to me that it would be less crowded than you might think.

I understand all the reasons why not... but I am still very disappointed. I would be willing to pay to make the gingerbread house. I am also disappointed they seem to only be offering the cookies once. I can see it being very popular as well as conflicting with other plans. With my luck it will be held during my Palo brunch time

I wonder if DCL would object to someone bringing on their own gingerbread house to decorate.
I did see on a 4 day Dream itinerary that they offered the cookie decorating twice - and both times were at 1:30pm starts, I think, so even with Palo brunch i'm sure you could make it work.

[\QUOTE]I wonder if DCL would object to someone bringing on their own gingerbread house to decorate.
I did see on a 4 day Dream itinerary that they offered the cookie decorating twice - and both times were at 1:30pm starts, I think, so even with Palo brunch i'm sure you could make it work.[/QUOTE]

DH already purchased a small kit - a gingerbread doghouse for us to take. I plan on keeping the tray we get from room service and use that to keep everything on when I make it so I don't make too much of a mess and to catch the crumbs when we eat it. :earsboy:

So, the next important question. Are the cookies any good? IOW, for those familiar, how do they compare to those in DL?

And can you buy more during Merrytime cruises?

So, the next important question. Are the cookies any good? IOW, for those familiar, how do they compare to those in DL?

And can you buy more during Merrytime cruises?

I hope they are better than the ones at WDW because those have no flavor.

Reactions: KVH
We thought the cookies were very good....they had a strong ginger and cinnamon flavor. Never tried the ones at Disney so I can’t compare.

Reactions: KVH
We thought the cookies were very good....they had a strong ginger and cinnamon flavor. Never tried the ones at Disney so I can’t compare.

That is good to know. The ones we have gotten at Disney had no ginger flavor at all. Spice cake had a stronger flavor. We have tried more than once over the years.

Either way, if I can make it I'm going to make one.

I wonder if DCL would object to someone bringing on their own gingerbread house to decorate.
I did see on a 4 day Dream itinerary that they offered the cookie decorating twice - and both times were at 1:30pm starts, I think, so even with Palo brunch i'm sure you could make it work.

I think taking your own kit would be just fine as long as it's in a sealed package. It's OK to bring other sealed food onboard, so I I would guess a gingerbread house kit would be the same.

I think taking your own kit would be just fine as long as it's in a sealed package. It's OK to bring other sealed food onboard, so I I would guess a gingerbread house kit would be the same.
And bringing your own decorations....
I'm thinking that the CMs might take issue with you using their icing/candies for a personal gingerbread house.

And bringing your own decorations....
I'm thinking that the CMs might take issue with you using their icing/candies for a personal gingerbread house.

Well, I did say "kit", and I've personally never purchased a gingerbread kit that didn't come with icing and candies. I certainly wasn't thinking that someone might bring their own bare gingerbread walls and roof to the cookie decorating party :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter