No More Glacier Bay for Royal in 2020?

nancy drew

DIS Veteran
Just a heads up... Royal has changed itineraries and replaced all Glacier Bay visits with other glaciers/ports. Below is part of the email that was sent to guests who are booked on these sailings:

Dear Guest,

Before we set sail on our May 22, 2020 Ovation of the Seas cruise, we have a change to share with you.

Earlier this year, we were excited to add Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska to our itinerary. However, sometimes things don’t go as planned and we’ve changed back to the original itinerary. So, we’ll visit Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier as originally planned, instead of Glacier Bay National Park. We are sorry for any disappointment, but we’re confident you’ll have a wonderful time as we provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore everything Alaska has to offer – including glaciers! Please see our new itinerary below.

I think it has to do with schedule. While they were given rights to sail GB, there can only be a certain number of ships in the bay each day and prior grantees may have had priority.

I think it has to do with schedule. While they were given rights to sail GB, there can only be a certain number of ships in the bay each day and prior grantees may have had priority.
That could very well be. But they promoted their presence in Glacier Bay pretty heavily, and changed itineraries to include GB as a destination. Taking it out again is a big deal, especially since many, many people booked specifically for the GB stop, spending a lot more than they would have if GB hadn't been on the itinerary in the first place. With Royal's nonrefundable deposit and change fees, people feel stuck with a cruise they would never have otherwise booked.

That could very well be. But they promoted their presence in Glacier Bay pretty heavily, and changed itineraries to include GB as a destination. Taking it out again is a big deal, especially since many, many people booked specifically for the GB stop, spending a lot more than they would have if GB hadn't been on the itinerary in the first place. With Royal's nonrefundable deposit and change fees, people feel stuck with a cruise they would never have otherwise booked.

Yeah. I think RCCL should do something around the non-refundables, especially. I just suspect this was a forced hand, and not malevolence.

I don't know how true it is but I read that HAL originally changed a couple of cruises so that RCCL could enter Glacier Bay and then changed their mind and switched back, so RCCL was bumped.

I think RCCL should offer refunds to people that booked after the itinerary was changed to include Glacier Bay. I know they don't have to, but going out their way will make people want to sail with them again. I sailed on Carnival earlier this year. Our ship was diverted because of a medical emergency. We ended up with a day in Key West and skipped Grand Cayman. Everyone was given a 15% FCC. They didn't have to do it and it was completely unexpected.

I retract what I said.

The National Park Service confirmed that RCCL recently elected not to finalize its agreement to visit the park. Earlier this year, the federal agency announced that seven cruise lines had won 10-year park access including Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, Seabourn, Viking Cruises and Royal Caribbean.

This means that Royal Caribbean won't be visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site until at least 2029, when the current agreement expires.

So, RCCL was marketing this without a finalized agreement, and decided not to sign.

I retract what I said.

The National Park Service confirmed that RCCL recently elected not to finalize its agreement to visit the park. Earlier this year, the federal agency announced that seven cruise lines had won 10-year park access including Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, Seabourn, Viking Cruises and Royal Caribbean.

This means that Royal Caribbean won't be visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site until at least 2029, when the current agreement expires.

So, RCCL was marketing this without a finalized agreement, and decided not to sign.

Wow, that is a huge deal! I wonder why they did not sign? That is a big error on their part.

Wow, that is a huge deal! I wonder why they did not sign? That is a big error on their part.
I suspect it was price vs. dates. Because the NPS has a sweetheart deal in perpetuity with Princess and HAL, the dates for all other lines are scattered on the calendar and pricey. The deal with Princess and HAL is fairly ridiculous.

Being In Glacier Bay is fabulous these days! Rangers come on board, give lectures. Years ago that did not happen.

Being In Glacier Bay is fabulous these days! Rangers come on board, give lectures. Years ago that did not happen.

Yes! My kids got to complete the Junior Park Ranger program on the ship. It was great! They also had a native Alaskan join the kids club to talk about Alaskan life. She brought some cool stuff, like this fishing tool that was really neat. Very cool program!

I know this is an older thread but I’m just starting to research Alaska for 2022. This is really disappointing.
Disney is my favorite but for our party of 5 we are looking at close to $17,000 for DCL to Alaska.
Royal is always our second chance but if we aren’t doing Disney I want an itinerary with Glacier Bay.
Princess and HAL have never even been on my list of cruise lines to look at since we have little kids but I am leaning towards one of those now.

I know this is an older thread but I’m just starting to research Alaska for 2022. This is really disappointing.
Disney is my favorite but for our party of 5 we are looking at close to $17,000 for DCL to Alaska.
Royal is always our second chance but if we aren’t doing Disney I want an itinerary with Glacier Bay.
Princess and HAL have never even been on my list of cruise lines to look at since we have little kids but I am leaning towards one of those now.

The thing is, when you cruise to Alaska it is NOTHING like cruising in the Caribbean. You aren't there for the ship, or the activities, and certainly not the costumed characters. You are there for the landscape. If you are busy riding bumper cars or whatnot, you are missing out on the whole purpose for being there.

We chose HAL because the ship and itinerary worked out better than what we could book on Princess. I wouldn't necessarily choose HAL for a Caribbean cruise but it would be tough to convince me to try another line (aside from Princess) for Alaska. I think Princess might skew a bit younger than HAL so that might be a good choice if they have an itinerary you like.

If you want to read about HAL there's a link in my signature to my trip report.

The thing is, when you cruise to Alaska it is NOTHING like cruising in the Caribbean. You aren't there for the ship, or the activities, and certainly not the costumed characters. You are there for the landscape. If you are busy riding bumper cars or whatnot, you are missing out on the whole purpose for being there.

We chose HAL because the ship and itinerary worked out better than what we could book on Princess. I wouldn't necessarily choose HAL for a Caribbean cruise but it would be tough to convince me to try another line (aside from Princess) for Alaska. I think Princess might skew a bit younger than HAL so that might be a good choice if they have an itinerary you like.

If you want to read about HAL there's a link in my signature to my trip report.

I clicked to read your HAL trip report and I am pretty sure I just read it the other day on another forum. It really helped me see how HAL might work for us. There is not much info on HAL for a younger family.

If you look in the cruise contracts and fine print, pretty much every cruiseline has it written in there that 'they reserve the right to change itinerary at any moment.' It sucks, but it's how they cover their butts in situations like this.

I clicked to read your HAL trip report and I am pretty sure I just read it the other day on another forum. It really helped me see how HAL might work for us. There is not much info on HAL for a younger family.

I am glad it was helpful. I am also thankful to the families who took a chance on HAL and sailed, because this was the one and only time my kids have both enjoyed the clubs on a cruise, and that includes our Disney cruises. I have my fingers crossed for our upcoming cruise but I need to prepare myself for having a shadow or two once again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!