NO more Millionaire (TV Version)

philjerden

Earning My Ears
Just saw this article on MSNBC about "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." I wonder if the dramatic decrease in production and showings of this TV show will impact the attraction at both DCA and WDW.

Phil

'Millionaire' to leave regular ABC schedule this fall

LOS ANGELES, April 12 — Seeing someone become a millionaire by answering multiple choice questions on TV won't be easy as it used to be. "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" is losing its regular time slot on ABC.

The game show that took the TV world by storm two years ago only to fade almost as fast as it rose will not have a regular time slot when ABC ushers in its late summer/early fall lineup, a spokesman said on Friday.
Spokesman Kevin Brockman said "Millionaire" will return to its original status as a "special event" program.
"It will come back in August in the form it had when it first premiered (in 1999) -- short bursts of nightly installments where you can watch real people change their lives," Brockman said.
Many viewers who flocked to the show just two years ago may not even realize "Millionaire" is still a regular on the ABC schedule, appearing Thursday nights in the ultra-tough time slot opposite the NBC hits "Will & Grace" and "Just Shoot Me" and CBS hit "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."
Last week, the show attracted a meager 8.2 million viewers, making it the week's 55th most watched program -- a far cry from the consistent spot at the top of the ratings it once commanded.
Amid the rapid decline, a top ABC programming official created a buzz last fall when he said the show might not return to the struggling network's lineup at all.
Indeed, the show will not be on the regular schedule but will appear from time to time starting at the end of the slow summer season, probably in August, Brockman said.
He said ABC executives feel that what made "Millionaire," an import from Britain, a hit when it first appeared was its real-people quality and the show's ability to change people's lives in short periods by giving them a chance to win up to $1 million by answer questions correctly.
"If you rest the show over the summer, take it out of the public eye, don't allow them access to the show and bring it back for a limited period of time, six episodes, eight episodes, whatever, I think we can relaunch it," he said.
While the Regis Philbin-hosted show may never retain its former stature as ratings killer, ABC, a unit of The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS) is in dire need of hits to breathe new life into its schedule.
All of the major networks have suffered to some extent in one of the worst ad market downturns in recent memory, but ABC has been hardest hit because of its rapid fall with the decline of "Millionaire."

***"A Walt Disney World Resort Outing" NEW TRAVEL GUIDE***

Considering the current ratings, “taking the show out of the public eye” pretty much has already been accomplished.

Rumors about town say that Regis is rather upset about the whole ‘Millionaire’ debacle. He feels ABC management destroyed the show by the saturation exposure, has failed to support the show properly early in the season and its demotion to “junk show” status (a term used to describe very cheap shows that ABC puts in time slots against competition so that ABC doesn’t loose as much money – think ‘Who’s Line’).

Between this, l’affair David Letterman and ABC’s consistent fourth place standing, the network is - in the words of one producer around here – “a dump site in the middle of a wasteland”. The hopes for ABC now lie with the hugely expensive ‘Dinotopia’ miniseries/series that will premiere this fall. If that fails, no one knows what will happen next.

Oh, one of the reasons why Disney dropped $5 Billion on Fox Family was so they could repeat hugely successful shows on cable and rake in a second helping of revenue. Would you believe another rumor now says that ABC Family shows may be moving to ABC to help prop up the parent network?

This whole tragic story is going to make one hell of an HBO movie (a la ‘Barbarians at the Gates’).

Originally posted by Another Voice
Oh, one of the reasons why Disney dropped $5 Billion on Fox Family was so they could repeat hugely successful shows on cable and rake in a second helping of revenue. Would you believe another rumor now says that ABC Family shows may be moving to ABC to help prop up the parent network?

This whole tragic story is going to make one hell of an HBO movie (a la ‘Barbarians at the Gates’).

ABC Family, isn't that the channel that shows "Prelude To A Kiss," "Inner Space" "The Princess Bride" and every single Mary Kate and Ashley Movie/tv show know to many at least once at week? I can't believe I actually liked this channel BETTER when it was Fox! :eek:

I know AV that TV isn't your thing, but do you know when The Mole will come back?
Also, I think brinning the orgional The Mole to cable will be a good idea, although it lost it's rewatchable status, but make it like pop-up video, point out the clues, inside info, and other things.

Word on the street is that all the tapes of ‘The Mole’ joined the tapes for ‘The Chair’ in a recycling bin out on Riverside Drive.

I haven’t heard of any plans to show any of the unaired episodes of either show and absolutely no chance there will be a new season. Of course, the fortunes at ABC are so miserable right now anything can happen. Right now the scramble is to find any show that the network can broadcast inplace of static.

Some facts in place of rumors: for the week of 4/1 – 4/7, ABC had only one show in the Top 30 – ‘The Practice’ at #19. It pulls in only 45% of the number of viewers that ‘ER’ pulls in and only 10,000 more viewers than ‘Baby Bob’ over on CBS.

The next highest rated ABC shows were two episodes of ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ at #31 and #32. The uber-hyped ‘The Bachelor’ came in at #37. The network’s most expensive show (based on production costs per minute) is ‘The Drew Carey Show’ at #53. The highest rated ‘Millionaire’ (the former ratings champ) is at #56. The highest rated episode for ‘Who’s Line Is It Anyway’ is at #80. These rankings are out of a total of 118 shows on five networks.

For the season as a whole, ABC just barely edges out Fox because of the early season boost from ‘Monday Night Football’. By the time the season is finished most people expect Fox to pull ahead again, dooming ABC to a another year as America’s Fourth Network.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to squelch the rumor that Disney has hired ‘Successories’ to create an inspirational poster that says “At least we can always beat UPN”.

Too bad, the first season did well...
If they don't air the show, at least say who the mole is and give the people their money!

PS Thanks AV for taking the time to answer my silly The Mole question, as you can guess, I love that show.

Originally posted by Another Voice
I’d also like to take this opportunity to squelch the rumor that Disney has hired ‘Successories’ to create an inspirational poster that says “At least we can always beat UPN”.

TOO FUNNY!!!! :D :jester:

I read in the NY Daily News yesterday that The Mole will be back on this summer. They still have 10 episodes left. They didn't say what time period it will be on, though.

In TV Guide a few months ago, there was a big article about how several of the big name actors at ABC (Philbin being one) were upset about how poorly they were being treated. It seems that Disney, with their usual management flair, controlled everything and believed that all their success was due to management, not to the stars or their popularity. I do believe they need to reevaluate their management style, accept their failure, and then give credit where credit is due. Regis Philbin has a lot of popularity and power with his fans. By irritating Philbin, you have angered a lot of people.

Before reading this thread, I didn't realize how badly ABC was doing. No wonder The Disney Store is showing commercials for ABC in their store. Get that free plug wherever you can.

Millionaire was a fad and ABC milked it because they had nothing else to put on. They may have expedited Millionaire's fate, but not by more than a year.

Millionaire kept ABC's ad revenue up for awhile longer and masked the overall problem of not having enough quality shows.

is still popular at MGM. I attended two shows on Saturday afternoon, April 13, and they were both FULL...(got in the Hot Seat, too ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter