No more shenanigans at Whispering Canyon Café!

KYMickey

Adding EARS to Kentucky!
According to this story on WDW News Today: https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/no-more-k...ess-lodge-no-longer-partaking-in-shenanigans/ They are no longer doing any of the fun stuff during your meal. That was 1 of the things that always made dining there enjoyable. The food was okay but the interaction with the staff made it a fun meal, especially for the kids.

According to the story this was done because of complaints by customers but anyone I know who has been there really enjoyed it. Just another way that Disney is reducing the just experience.

While I’m disappointed if it’s true I wouldn’t peg it under the “reducing the guest experience” category if people are complaining about it. It’s not like they’re doing it because of cost
My thought is That they are using "people are complaining about it" as an excuse. Will they bring it back if people now complain that it's not happening? I highly doubt that, it seems like one something is tapped never restart at Disney. Besides, there are lots of other places to eat if you didn't like the atmosphere at this 1.

My thought is That they are using "people are complaining about it" as an excuse. Will they bring it back if people now complain that it's not happening? I highly doubt that, it seems like one something is tapped never restart at Disney. Besides, there are lots of other places to eat if you didn't like the atmosphere at this 1.

An excuse against what alternative explanation though?

To me, with Disney (and any big company) 99% of the time it comes down to $. They have a ton of data and must see that they aren’t making the $ off that space they feel they should. Now, part of that could be because of complaints - but a lot is likely just due to attendance and how in demand it is vs what else they could put there

An excuse against what alternative explanation though?

To me, with Disney (and any big company) 99% of the time it comes down to $. They have a ton of data and must see that they aren’t making the $ off that space they feel they should. Now, part of that could be because of complaints - but a lot is likely just due to attendance and how in demand it is vs what else they could put there
I would have a hard time believing they have a problem filling the restaurant due to the antics.

Tiki Birds?

There are several other restaurants that are unsuccessful that I think they could’ve changed before this one. I don’t know this is just a disappointing move IMO.

I’m not saying I am happy about the move but do know Disney has way more data on things than we do and must have a reason for this - I can’t imagine it is simply due to a few complaints

According to the story this was done because of complaints by customers but anyone I know who has been there really enjoyed it. Just another way that Disney is reducing the just experience.

I'm curious if the complaints were from customers, or from guests who had rooms in that main atrium area and had voiced complaints about the yelling. I don't know why, but that sounds familiar to me.

I'm curious if the complaints were from customers, or from guests who had rooms in that main atrium area and had voiced complaints about the yelling. I don't know why, but that sounds familiar to me.

Good thought - or even just guests in the hotel that felt it disturbed them in the lobby, etc. ... could make more sense vs just guests at the restaurant b/c obviously the solution then is to just not go to that restaurant but I can see them wanting people that are paying to stay at the resort itself weren't upset

I put this in the news thread because I hadn't seen this one yet. Anyway...

I didn't mind WCC, but as someone who stays at FW, it's about the easiest sit down restaurant to get an ADR at around. That probably tells us something. I also agree that the antics are fun now and then, but it is in the wrong spot with that beautiful, stately, open lobby. You can hear them yelling about ketchup from one end of the hotel to the other. I think it's a cool concept, but I think it was in the wrong place. It needs a more enclosed environment.

Good thought - or even just guests in the hotel that felt it disturbed them in the lobby, etc. ... could make more sense vs just guests at the restaurant b/c obviously the solution then is to just not go to that restaurant but I can see them wanting people that are paying to stay at the resort itself weren't upset

It was my understanding that the doors with rooms that shared the lobby area were changed to help deaden sound.

I suspect that the/any data retrieved likely looked at the demographics of guests vs. visitors. If the data skewed towards less families as overnight guests at WL, then that may have supported this move with the caveat that this change will > revenue. It's just my guess.

I put this in the news thread because I hadn't seen this one yet. Anyway...

I didn't mind WCC, but as someone who stays at FW, it's about the easiest sit down restaurant to get an ADR at around. That probably tells us something. I also agree that the antics are fun now and then, but it is in the wrong spot with that beautiful, stately, open lobby. You can hear them yelling about ketchup from one end of the hotel to the other. I think it's a cool concept, but I think it was in the wrong place. It needs a more enclosed environment.

Yeah, I was thinking they need to swap Trail's End and Whispering Canyon- all of the hooting and hollering wouldn't bother anyone in the Trail's End building. The other idea would be a character meal at WL--- Woody, Jessie, and maybe Bullseye, or Chip and Dale?

And I imagine it's the hotel guests' complaints that weigh the most. How many time per week do you think they end up comping a room (either cash, or DVC points) because people complained about not being able to nap, or were woken up too early, etc.

Yeah, I'd guess that MyMagic+ data indicates that guests at Disney's Wilderness Lodge spend less on dining at the resort when compared to other Deluxe Resorts. It's likely they did more research and determined that guests leave the resort or use quick service instead of going to Whispering Canyon Cafe because of the antics.

So, it could be about increasing revenue AND improving the experience of guests staying at the resort.

I won’t eat there again unless the silliness is brought back. The foods good, but overpriced. We were partly paying for the atmosphere, and that has now partly been changed.

Disney needs to update the website. If they’ve stopped the silliness, the website now has a false description of the restaurant.

I won’t eat there again unless the silliness is brought back.
Neither will I. The fun was the only reason to make the trip to eat there, unless you were staying at WL anyway.

I am sure the "complaints" were a noise issue in regards to resort guests, particularly club level guests. That's where Disney makes the real money, not in the restaurants.

The restaurant itself has always been popular. It has always been relatively easy to book because it is out of the way if you're not staying at the Lodge, and has no characters, but I've never seen it open without plenty of customers around.

Just another little disappointment as Disney continues to pursue it's bottom line. Oh well...

Last edited:
Well, I’ll take the minority opinion, we went once, probably 10 years ago, and was not a fan of the antics and such. (I’ve got a couple shy people in the group and they were pretty mortified when attention was called on them for not participating. Come for the ribs, stay for the social anxiety!) we didn’t complain or anything, just said “hey, this is not our bag” and didn’t return, despite staying at WL several times.
I considered going back when I read you could opt out of the experience, but it never worked out. We will be back in Sept and may try it again now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter