No more shenanigans at Whispering Canyon Café!

We would never return there, because of the annoyance, even if we stayed at WL.
People that don't like it need to like not some. Everybody needs to become a kid and be very lighthearted when they go to Disney in order to enjoy the experience. The interactions at this restaurant and other places in Disney are what makes Disney Disney!

People that don't like it need to like not some. Everybody needs to become a kid and be very lighthearted when they go to Disney in order to enjoy the experience. The interactions at this restaurant and other places in Disney are what makes Disney Disney!

Personally, I haven’t gone again because I don’t care for the food (I’m from Texas, so I’m REAL picky about bbq, especially brisket), and I also don’t really like “bits” - I want a nice, enjoyable dinner experience.

So, I don’t take an ADR or table away from anyone else that really wants to go. It’s as easy as that.

Also, I hate the insinuation that this is because “locals” don’t like the shenanigans - a local isn’t going to WCC to eat the food on offer unless it’s because someone wants to go. There are FAR better bbq offerings for locals than that skillet.

Personally, I haven’t gone again because I don’t care for the food (I’m from Texas, so I’m REAL picky about bbq, especially brisket), and I also don’t really like “bits” - I want a nice, enjoyable dinner experience.

So, I don’t take an ADR or table away from anyone else that really wants to go. It’s as easy as that.

Also, I hate the insinuation that this is because “locals” don’t like the shenanigans - a local isn’t going to WCC to eat the food on offer unless it’s because someone wants to go. There are FAR better bbq offerings for locals than that skillet.

I don't see anything insinuating that this has anything to do with "locals." :confused3

First hand report said they still are doing the pony races and the ketchup thing. Everything else has been dumbed down.
Ha! Some would argue it's been "smartened up."

I took the kids to WCC many years ago, and they loved it! I could take it or leave it, if it was just me, but it was well worth it for the kids' enjoyment.

Not
Not sure what you’re saying...
Anyway, we happen to not like the interactions. There’s nothing wrong with that, just as it’s fine for people who do. My kid has never really liked to be the center of attention, or to be teased, so we don’t go to places that make fun of guests or try to have fun at their expense. For other people, it’s fun. All I’m saying is I’m not at all surprised that there are others who also don’t care for it- maybe that’s the reason for the change, who knows, we didn’t love the food either. While it may be fun for a young child, we now bring teens and they aren’t into it. So we know we won’t eat there, which factors in to us not using our points there...even if we opted out of the teasing if it was still part of the vibe and there was yelling or whatever, no thanks, not our choice to eat.

Agreed, but maybe not in a hotel lobby. When we choose a resort we want some great food options, particularly those we don't need to go outdoors to get to ( we often have bad weather). This is a big turn off for us at WL.
Yeah, I agree with this. Husband and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in March and wanted a nice, relaxed sit-down breakfast the day we were checking out. We didn't want to go outside to Geyser Point and weren't impressed by Roaring Fork's new menu, so that left WCC. If we weren't staying at WL, it never would have been on our radar due to the shenanigans, but because that's where we stayed, it was really our only option for the type of breakfast we wanted. We were there early enough, I think, that the antics weren't happening yet and it was a relief. :confused3

EDIT: And I'd like to think I'm not a total stick-in-the-mud or something :rolleyes2 But WCC is the only non-Signature sit-down option there and if we don't want antics, but DO want a sit-down, we have to go away from the resort...not too attractive for us.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with this. Husband and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in March and wanted a nice, relaxed sit-down breakfast the day we were checking out. We didn't want to go outside to Geyser Point and weren't impressed by Roaring Fork's new menu, so that left WCC. If we weren't staying at WL, it never would have been on our radar due to the shenanigans, but because that's where we stayed, it was really our only option for the type of breakfast we wanted. We were there early enough, I think, that the antics weren't happening yet and it was a relief. :confused3

EDIT: And I'd like to think I'm not a total stick-in-the-mud or something :rolleyes2 But WCC is the only non-Signature sit-down option there and if we don't want antics, but DO want a sit-down, we have to go away from the resort...not too attractive for us.

Well, there is always the option of requesting no antics and sitting in the back dining room where it is much quieter. Last time we were there, all we had to do was leave the card red side up on the table. We do this when it is just the wife and I. With the kids and grantinker, we will enjoy whatever they dial up in the main dining room.

I put this in the news thread because I hadn't seen this one yet. Anyway...

I didn't mind WCC, but as someone who stays at FW, it's about the easiest sit down restaurant to get an ADR at around. That probably tells us something. I also agree that the antics are fun now and then, but it is in the wrong spot with that beautiful, stately, open lobby. You can hear them yelling about ketchup from one end of the hotel to the other. I think it's a cool concept, but I think it was in the wrong place. It needs a more enclosed environment.
We have had many stays at WL and spent a lot of time in he Lobby and have never been bothered or offended by the noise of WCC. It’s just part of the resort experience. No different than other deluxe resorts with restaurants in the lobby.

Well, there is always the option of requesting no antics and sitting in the back dining room where it is much quieter. Last time we were there, all we had to do was leave the card red side up on the table. We do this when it is just the wife and I. With the kids and grantinker, we will enjoy whatever they dial up in the main dining room.
We were never told about this option or the card (?) that you mentioned.

Do they still have those cards? I've read a lot of posts elsewhere that people felt more comfortable with those, but they hadn't seen them available in awhile.

We have had many stays at WL and spent a lot of time in he Lobby and have never been bothered or offended by the noise of WCC. It’s just part of the resort experience. No different than other deluxe resorts with restaurants in the lobby.
Personally I find the crowds created by people waiting for ‘Ohana or lining up for the Spirit of Aloha in the Poly lobby to be much more disruptive than anything I’ve seen at WL. Forget it if there’s a thunderstorm and everyone monorails over from MK; complete chaos.
Or the horrible fish smell in the BC lobby from Cape May Cafe? We still love staying at these resorts despite their imperfections;)
If WCC isn’t filling it’s tables obviously something needs to change, but I don’t think taking away what makes it unique is the answer.

Last edited:
100% related to money as all Disney things are. As such, it could be complaints leading to comps, etc, but I would go with a character meal being added (someone said earlier Woody, etc.) and the price significantly increasing. We shall see.

Theres dozens and dozens of restaurants at WDW that have no shennanigans. There are two that do. Why take away one that does? The other option (50’s Prime Time) is even more expensive and not nearly as much fun. Those who want a normal meal have plenty of options. Not so for those of us who want a fun meal.

If the resort guests are complaining and they’re trying to increase attendance from within the resort, then put some kind of card or something on the table for guests to indicate whether they want shennanigans. That’s a compromise that could work.

It's really too bad that they didn't have this restaurant at a different location that would have less impact on a resort because it is nice to have available for those who enjoy it. However, it sounds like it is quite loud there with all the yelling. Opting out would not change that. We aren't fans of this type of antic so we never went there.

If the restaurant is disturbing resort guests, I can understand changing it. After all, the priority at the resort should be the hotel guests. Also, it may just not appeal to a wide enough range of customers. With all the building they've done there, they might want a restaurant that is more universally appealing. I doubt they would change it if the restaurant was highly profitable.

Hopefully they can find a new area to fit this concept in.

Last edited:
Remember, they said customer complaints, not what the complaints were or who they were from. I know that a lot of complaints are also people that complain that they didn't get enough antics or their server wasn't as outgoing. Then couple that with complaints from people that didn't know what it was all about, or complaining about kids running around and tripping, etc. Just lots of room to complain. With that said, it is disappointing.

I won’t eat there again unless the silliness is brought back. The foods good, but overpriced. We were partly paying for the atmosphere, and that has now partly been changed.

Disney needs to update the website. If they’ve stopped the silliness, the website now has a false description of the restaurant.

You just described 75% of restaurants in Disney. The other 25%.. the food isn't good :P

You just described 75% of restaurants in Disney. The other 25%.. the food isn't good :P

True :) Which is why, as local passholders, we pack all our food nearly every time we go. We sometimes make an exception for the fun/unique dining, like BOG lunch, WCC (not now), used to for Sci-Fi and Prime Time until the prices reached ridiculous levels...

According to this story on WDW News Today: https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/no-more-k...ess-lodge-no-longer-partaking-in-shenanigans/ They are no longer doing any of the fun stuff during your meal. That was 1 of the things that always made dining there enjoyable. The food was okay but the interaction with the staff made it a fun meal, especially for the kids.

According to the story this was done because of complaints by customers but anyone I know who has been there really enjoyed it. Just another way that Disney is reducing the just experience.

I loved the shenanigans. Hopefully, this turns out to be as (in)accurate as some of the other things on WDWNT.

We went in February. We enjoyed it. The "antics" didn't seem crazy. Tossed napkins and straws on the table about as nice as anyone could do. We asked for ketchup as we knew we should. That was about it, otherwise it was typical disney service. The antics weren't crazy or demoralizing. Food was decent enough for Disney food.
I guess I could see the shtick getting old if you were in the rooms near by, but that could be solved by closing in lobby side with glass if it was really that disruptive.

I think if anything, the place needs a refresh as the shtick is just a bit stale. Honestly, they could do it any restaurant. Heck I'd love to see them move the whole concept over to Magic Kingdom, somewhere left of the hub, you could make it fit in to adventureland, frontierland or liberty square with minimal adjustments. I'd then maybe turn whispering canyon into a chuck wagon or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts