No more shenanigans at Whispering Canyon Café!

True :) Which is why, as local passholders, we pack all our food nearly every time we go. We sometimes make an exception for the fun/unique dining, like BOG lunch, WCC (not now), used to for Sci-Fi and Prime Time until the prices reached ridiculous levels...

We don't eat much park food either. Our splurge is Hoop Dee Doo or Epcot outdoor kitchens.

Well, there is always the option of requesting no antics and sitting in the back dining room where it is much quieter. Last time we were there, all we had to do was leave the card red side up on the table. We do this when it is just the wife and I. With the kids and grantinker, we will enjoy whatever they dial up in the main dining room.

I never knew this!

An excuse against what alternative explanation though?

To me, with Disney (and any big company) 99% of the time it comes down to $. They have a ton of data and must see that they aren’t making the $ off that space they feel they should. Now, part of that could be because of complaints - but a lot is likely just due to attendance and how in demand it is vs what else they could put there

No, it's $$$$$$$$$$$

Just saw another tweet from WDW today about this. Looks like they are keeping some/all of the antics, but asking that they be toned down - particularly the volume ... and notice it specifically says "to be considerate to all our guests at Disney's Wilderness Lodge" - so to me that is more about the guests in the hotel vs people at the restaurant complaining (but perhaps reading too much into it).

32459352_1816427055044724_1345114346140729344_n.jpg

We went out of our way to dine there, to experience the antics. My nephew chose that restaurant to give his girlfriend "a Disney Experience" as he had fond memories of it from his childhood.

Its off the list now - especially as it is challenging to get there when you always stay at the Boardwalk. We'd take a boat from the MK - but that was awfully slow traveling.......

Just saw another tweet from WDW today about this. Looks like they are keeping some/all of the antics, but asking that they be toned down - particularly the volume ... and notice it specifically says "to be considerate to all our guests at Disney's Wilderness Lodge" - so to me that is more about the guests in the hotel vs people at the restaurant complaining (but perhaps reading too much into it).

32459352_1816427055044724_1345114346140729344_n.jpg
At last.... the involvement of a Hotel GM is beginning to make sense. If the primary issue was "noise carry" into the lobby? This now becomes a Hotel Wide issue, and IS a GM issue.

Still hoping the new GM will allow the WC Proprietor to find a solution to the problem. Delegation is key for higher level Management. And lobby noise can be MEASURED, by bringing in some temporary equipment. It may very well turn out that there is an actual issue with the open wall design of WC.
Oddly, INCREASED Restaurant Traffic might be producing a negative effect on the lobby area :).

Key to a GM's role? Delegate, Measure, and react based on DATA.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I always did think this was a really weird place for this restaurant. I mean I liked it but attached to the lobby of a delux resort is not where I would expect it to be.

If this was a theme park resort no guests would care about the noise. Or even if it was a restaurant in a hotel where you enter from the outside like Mara at AKL.

I always did think this was a really weird place for this restaurant. I mean I liked it but attached to the lobby of a delux resort is not where I would expect it to be.

If this was a theme park resort no guests would care about the noise. Or even if it was a restaurant in a hotel where you enter from the outside like Mara at AKL.

Yeah, I would think they would do a little noise prevention that was also easy on the eyes. Not hard to do with today's materials. My wife and I sat at the DVC booth right behind the back dining room and we weren't interrupted even in the slightest as the back dining room typically isn't loud at all.

Well, I’ll take the minority opinion, we went once, probably 10 years ago, and was not a fan of the antics and such. (I’ve got a couple shy people in the group and they were pretty mortified when attention was called on them for not participating. Come for the ribs, stay for the social anxiety!) we didn’t complain or anything, just said “hey, this is not our bag” and didn’t return, despite staying at WL several times.
I considered going back when I read you could opt out of the experience, but it never worked out. We will be back in Sept and may try it again now.

The fact that you have the minority opinion is why Disney should not be changing it. Most people truly enjoy it. Just like people that don't like coasters should stay away from Space Mountain, RNR, & Everest have other ride options, people that are uncomfortable with the fun at Whispering Canyon have plenty of other dining options at Disney.

Disney is screwing this one up, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Yes! It should swap places with Trail's End... Neither would even need a decor change!

I have mixed feelings about this - the kids loved it when they were little, but as they got older, there were times we wanted the convenience of an on-site non-counter service dining experience without the nonsense and smaller kids running all over the place. It is definitely loud when staying in a room overlooking the lobby, so location change would have been a great compromise. I also like the suggestions to have character dining at WL.

I was sad to hear that this restaurant was changing it's policy and moving in another direction. It was one place that I have always wanted to take my family to because it sounded like a lot of silly fun that they would enjoy. I will have to see what the changes all include before deciding if we will ever attempt to make a visit there now in the future.

I'm curious if the complaints were from customers, or from guests who had rooms in that main atrium area and had voiced complaints about the yelling. I don't know why, but that sounds familiar to me.
Yes, I heard this same claim on DW60 radio show. It’s possible- and I’m hoping this is the case- that they aren’t ending the shenanigans entirely, maybe just toning them down.

Then again, it’s been a few years since I’ve gotten to pass the ketchup myself.. so who am I to say?

It's funny timing because I just earlier today read a trip report where someone said they got tired of the shenanigans and then found this thread where people are upset to lose them. And that's how it is with everything, I guess. No matter what stays and what goes some people will always be unhappy. That's just the nature of all of us liking different things.

I do agree that bringing the shenanigans to more closed off location might work better.

We had dinner at WCC on Friday night and they were still doing the ketchup, and still acting rude, in a fun way. It was definitely toned down a bit, but the shenanigans weren't completely gone.

On a different note, we found the skillet not very good this time around. I have felt it's been declining for a while now, but my teen boys still liked it, not so much this time. And my son's GF was super bummed that they no longer have the meatloaf. She ordered it last summer when we had a meal there, but according to our server they redid the menu about a week ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter