No more Teddy Bear and Doll Weekend at Epcot??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_Nikki

DIS Veteran
I'm most dismayed to have heard that starting this year, Disney is stopping their annual Teddy Bear and Doll weekend held at Epcot. Does anyone have anymore info on this??

They had special dolls and bears made for this event too. I'm so sad!

I'm most dismayed to have heard that starting this year, Disney is stopping their annual Teddy Bear and Doll weekend held at Epcot. Does anyone have anymore info on this??

They had special dolls and bears made for this event too. I'm so sad!

Its probably stopping because of statements like mine...

There's a Teddy Bear and Doll weekend at Epcot?

Sadly, I don't think they advertised it much. I've worked down there and visit often and never had even seen it mentioned; I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

I went to the Teddy Bear & Doll Convention at Disney in 1998. At that time is was a very cool event. Lots of doll and teddy bear makers. A huge display at The Contemporary and then all throughout World Showcase in each country there were displays and you could meet the designers. I collected teddy bears at the time and it was a great event. It wasn't well advertised generally, but if you were a collector you knew about it. I know though that the last few years, the last five or six at least, it is very dimished and very few makers signing up to attend. Not sure about dolls, but I know Teddy Bear collecting isn't what it used to be, several shops I know of went out of business and a couple magazines I used to get aren't around anymore either.

Sadly a sign of the economy as well. Not a lot of money for non-necessities like bears and dolls from a collector's standpoint and not a fraction of the value on the resale market for such things either. On the whole not too many collectable shops that carry dolls and bears even still in business and the collectable shops that remaine have done a significant amount of restructuring and carry more mass produced items and less limited edition, high end items.

:sad1:
It is very sad all of the special events are ending. I just found this thread about it too. Sorry, moderators, I somehow missed it earlier:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=29797676

Looks like Disney has decided why have special events when we can just sell the special merchandise to the public via the internet? I'm rather scared at the turn this day and age is taking. :confused3 With Disney parks attendance down, you would think they would advertise more.

This was the original link to finding out news about the Teddy Bear & Doll Weekend. The last one was last year.
http://www.certain.com/system/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x999602c4d

:sad1:
It is very sad all of the special events are ending. I just found this thread about it too. Sorry, moderators, I somehow missed it earlier:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=29797676

Looks like Disney has decided why have special events when we can just sell the special merchandise to the public via the internet? I'm rather scared at the turn this day and age is taking. :confused3 With Disney parks attendance down, you would think they would advertise more.

This was the original link to finding out news about the Teddy Bear & Doll Weekend. The last one was last year.
http://www.certain.com/system/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x999602c4d

Why do that when you can be lazy and raise prices while cutting down the experience, even though you are at a breaking point, all in an effort to maintain your current profit level. Terrible decisions, but that is what happens when MBA's run hollywood.

Frankly I think its the high act of stupidity that they don't have a public face on TV for special movies like Walt Disney and Eisner did... I'd put Lassiter out there as the spiritual Walt Disney and make him the Public Face, while Iger stays in the back ground. I REALLY hope that Iger's successor realizes that it isn't ALWAYS about bottom line and branding.

I agree completely about Iger! I saw a money talk show recently, and Bob I. was the guest. He is a great business man, but by listening to him talk, I could see his vision was to save $$, which in turn is lessening some of the Disney Magic experience. This recession is a serious bummer! Hopefully whoever succedes him will have a better vision and a more clever way to raise profits that aren't at the visitor's expense.

I saw some "good old days" clips of Roy and Walt when they did the Wonderful World of Disney. Honestly, it was way before my time, but that seemed so great how they did things then!! John Lasseter would make a great "spokesperson".

Sadly a sign of the economy as well. Not a lot of money for non-necessities like bears and dolls from a collector's standpoint and not a fraction of the value on the resale market for such things either. On the whole not too many collectable shops that carry dolls and bears even still in business and the collectable shops that remaine have done a significant amount of restructuring and carry more mass produced items and less limited edition, high end items.
Wish admission prices to theme parks were like that. $3 to get in Disney in 1980's. I'm at 10k on our 11 day trip to FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!