No Penn Relays for our High School running team

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
I know in the grand scheme of things it is a little thing, but...
Our school has cancelled all athletic competitions that will take our kids out of state. This means for starters, no Penn relays. Not a big deal for my son who is a sophomore, but a major deal for Juniors and Seniors. There are alot of college scouts at this event. It also gives them a chance to meet runners from all over the world. They especially love meeting the Brazilian and Jamaican runners, and especially above all the Ethiopians.

In addition, if our team makes it to the Meet of Champions, which they look likely to do this year (it is very difficult to do this) they will not be able to go. MOC is held in Pa. On the national high school running web site they list all of the high schools who won't be able to go to Penn Relays and their MOC and it is so sad. One more thing that these rotten terrorrists have taken from us. I know the high schools weighed these decisions very carefully. I just don't think you can live your life like this. The odds of a terrorist strike and a state track competition are pretty slim, the kids probably face far worst dangers driving to school.

You mean, you can't even go to Philly?

Across the bridge? 45 minutes away?

Thats incredulous... I go to Philly from NJ weekly, and DH every day... if anything more security, more police presence.

Thats so crazy!

Nope, they had to draw the line somewhere and the decision was no out of state events. I think it is crazy. Maybe when things settle down this might change. It's not like we're north jersey. Philly is 45 minutes away and most people from here go to philly all of the time.

My DD's track meet at Cornwall (an overnight meet, but I don't know where that is) in April was cancelled. But so far we haven't heard anything about the Penn relays!! I'm sorry your son's school cancelled, will let you now if ours cancels too.

DisneyHumbug - We got the official word on Penn Relays yesterday. This also includes any other out of state meets. Does your dd run cross country also? We ran Foot Locker's cross country race in Nov. in NY what a great experience.

Tigeroo - no, she only runs track (she's anemic and has trouble with long distance). So far only the overnight trips have been cancelled. Her friend is one of the best runners in the state and it would be a real shame if she can't go to some of these meets.

anemia is common to runners. i'm assuming she is under dr's care. All of our runners are extremely thin and the girls all take iron, as do some of the boys. It's not so much that the running causes anemia, but that the low body fat, coupled with typical teenage diets make them predisposed. My son prefers distances, and does not like anything under a mile. I just had him in for another x-ray for a possible stress fracture.

Her anemia has nothing to do with running. She has hemolytic anemia, which is an enzyme deficiency. It causes her blood cells to live a very short lifespan. Yes, she's under a Dr.'s care. She doesn't take iron - it wouldn't help her, she takes folic acid to help her bone marrow produce new cells.

Patrick, it healed very quickly. He was only out for three weeks. Now, we were back in for the other leg. It may be nothing, or a minor case of shin splints. But I'm paranoid because of the other stress fracture so we had an MRI on that leg today.
He took an unusually long run on a route that had alot of concrete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter