No Soliciting sign

Ours says, “No Soliciting of ANY Kind.” For the most part it works. So well in fact we have to put a “Trick or Treaters Welcome” sign up at Halloween. Very occasionally we’ll get someone who tries to skirt it with “But I’m not selling anything.” Those get the “Can you read” speech from my DH. I *almost* feel sorry for them when that happens. Otherwise I have a Ring and usually stop them in their tracks before they can even ring the bell. (it detects motion) But again, it’s rare. I do want to get one of the cute signs eventually.

*My neighbors don’t hesitate to knock but they’re not harassing me like in the other thread.

In my city the only way you can have any recourse (like the police called) is if you have the city's solicitation ordinance listed. It would be far more work to get a regular sign since you also have to go print off the city's ordinance too than to just print off a "no soliciting sign" which already has the ordinance listed from the city's website (for free) or to pick it up from city hall (for free). We just printed ours off and it's taped to one of the windows next to the front door.

A regular no soliciting sign without the city's ordinance listed doesn't allow the property owner to call in for a violation of the ordinance code.

We put ours up after getting too many lawn/pest care stuff. There's also scam that happen from time to time usually magazines (very easy to spot it as a scam). It has stopped just about all. Rarely a pest/lawn care person comes up and we politely point to the no soliciting sign because technically they are already in violation of it but we've never had to call the police (non-emergency line) on anyone. That's not to say I know they have been called to my neighborhood or other neighborhoods in the area due to soliciting issues.

We do get boy scouts too from time to time. The problem with that is parents aren't teaching their children no to approach a home (or ring the doorbell) if there's a no soliciting sign. So many parents just drive around in the car letting the kid out at each house. That part annoys me because it's not the kid's fault for not knowing.

When I lived in the house, we had one. There would be a few and i would have to give them the definition of solicitor because a couple didn't think it applied to them, lol.
We know live in an apartment and soliciting isn't allowed. So far so good no one has shown up. If they did they would have to pay to park here lol.

We get maybe 3 or 4 people over the course of the year come to our house to sell us stuff, not counting the neighbor girls doing their fundraising. I'm not sure a sign would be worth it. Especially since they don't look particularly nice.

Last edited:
We get maybe 3 or 4 people over the course of the year come to your house to sell us stuff, not counting the neighbor girls doing their fundraising. I'm not sure a sign would be worth it. Especially since they don't look particularly nice.
Honestly that's why I put off printing it off. But I put it where it's still visible on the window but not where it would detract..too much that is..from the look. Eventually I had to outweigh the pros of having it vs the con of the appearance.

I just don't answer the door, pretty much ever.

Same here. My dog lets me know someone is here so I'll just open the window and say "I'm not interested" as they are walking down the driveway. I shut it before they can say "but....."

I just don't answer the door, pretty much ever.
I don't answer the door either with exception to a handful of times. I've had lawn/pest care bother me when I'm out mowing my lawn or other outdoor activities when we first moved into the house.

But in my city if you have the sign with the ordinance listed they are in violation of the ordinance the minute they ring or knock on the door. That's why I have the sign. It keeps most of them from coming up to my door in the first place or at least knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell disturbing me.

I have the sign below. I have noticed a huge difference since putting it up. I work from home and used to be bothered almost daily about some nonsense or another, now it is about twice a month. I must say, I am probably not as nice as I could be to those who ignore the sign and knock anyway, usually I end up saying something about not working with a company that would send a representative that can't read a simple sign, it just drives me crazy.

upload_2019-5-22_15-8-9.png

If you have one, does it work? Or do people still knock on your door for various reasons?

Do you have just a basic one or a more 'fun' one, e.g. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/702683401/no-soliciting-our-souls-dont-need-saving?

As we finally get some spring weather, the door-to-door salespeople seem to be out and about more in my neighbourhood.

Had one for years and yes it worked. Would see folks walk up, stop dead, turn around and leave. We actually had door bell ringers yesterday and I'm saying to DS .... "Is my sign still there?" It was not. So guess what I just did, ordered another one.

My first one I printed on computer and taped on but the new decal thing is much better, looks nicer.

ALSO when my kids were small the neighborhood kids knew no boundaries. Even if I answered door and said they couldn't play I would get "why?" So I had a suction cup with hook. I made a variety of signs and had them laminated then punched hole at top. I would hang in the window and it stopped the constant door bell ringing. Like "Eating Dinner" "Doing Homework" "Ready for Bed" ~ I don't miss those days.

I don't have one. But there aren't that many door to door sales people around much any more. Maybe the pest control companies. But with them, I'll just tell them I'll call them when I have something that needs spraying. Wasps are the main thing. The school kids with fund raisers sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter