Non Disney Loving Spouse Is Ruining My Fun

I can kinda see his point of view, but only in the sense of maximizing time without taking an extra day of vacation (so I can save that for something else). BUT, I would change plans if it made someone I care about stressed out or ruin some of their fun.

(For example, I'm getting up at 4am to catch a flight that will get me down to Disney around noon, spend an a couple hours at Disney, and then head over to Universal Studios for Halloween Horror nights and stay there till about midnight. First day of my trip and it's going to be like a 20 hour day, lol. For my return at the end of the week I'm at Disney until 4pm then catching a 7pm flight home which doesn't get me home till midnight, and then I'll be at work the next morning. So ya... I can kind of understand wanting to get home at a decent time for work the next day, but fun wins me over, my vacations just leave me exhausted!)
Haha! It's the Disney adrenaline that keeps you going! Sleep at Disney is only optional. Plenty of time for that once you're home. :donald:

That's tough.

It's reasonable to want to leave early on departure day, but dang that's really early. And giving up a few extra hours is no biggie on a longer trip, but on a short trip like that it makes a big difference.

Good luck negotiating!

I would fly separately, that's the best compromise. If you force him to stay, he's upset. If he forces you to go, you are upset.
Marriage is about compromise, but it is not about spending every second of your life together. Doing things separately is perfectly fine. It's only a few hours, not a 3 week separation.

I've been in disboards a long time. (Makes me feel old.) That was the first time I had seen DH and at that time I was told on these sites it means Disney Husband. It confused me when I went to other sites and didn't think they could mean Disney Husband.😂

My husband does not like Disneyland. So I go with girlfriends about every other year now. He's pretty good about not throwing a fuss. But the kids get jealous.

I've been in disboards a long time. (Makes me feel old.) That was the first time I had seen DH and at that time I was told on these sites it means Disney Husband. It confused me when I went to other sites and didn't think they could mean Disney Husband.😂

My husband does not like Disneyland. So I go with girlfriends about every other year now. He's pretty good about not throwing a fuss. But the kids get jealous.
I had no idea it meant Disney Husband here. I will have to stop using it. My H is definitely not a Disney Husband, he is a Dear Husband, sometimes...

My H is not Disney agnostic. He is a get back as soon as possible person. I am a drag it out as long as possible person. It's true - opposites attract. He took at 6am flight home (alone) from WDW last year while the kids and I spent a lovely day at HS before our 7:30pm flight (our WDW trip was fairly last minute and he had a previous commitment for our last day that he didn't want to cancel).

Years ago, he flew out early after our Alaska cruise. I spent a leisurely day in Anchorage with the rest of my family and flew home solo. H also has terrible luck with flights. He encountered delays, I did not. So he beat me home by a few hours. Ha!

Personally, I think a 6-10 hour flight from Philly to Anaheim for only two full days at Disney is unreasonable. I mean, think about it. Up to 20 of a 96 hour vacation is on a plane? 21% of a vacation traveling? If I am hauling my sorry butt across the country, I want to spend a week. Although I'm not a fan of LA, honestly.

Personally, I think a 6-10 hour flight from Philly to Anaheim for only two full days at Disney is unreasonable. I mean, think about it. Up to 20 of a 96 hour vacation is on a plane? 21% of a vacation traveling? If I am hauling my sorry butt across the country, I want to spend a week. Although I'm not a fan of LA, honestly.
Half the adventure of a vacation (even a short one) is getting there. :) Sure, you're on a plane and in airports for awhile. But you're still spending time together, away from work, away from your day to day responsibilities.

Thank you Everyone for your comments and advice! Here is how it all played out:

I initially decided I would take a later flight home. But H was clearly not enthused by that.

I slept on it, and in the morning decided that a couple extra hours in Disney was not worth all the stress this was causing. So I told H that I would come home with him on his 6:30am flight.

Then I got to thinking: we have just backed ourselves into a corner where neither one of us will feel good about this trip.

If I come home on the super early flight with H, I'll be disappointed. And H will feel bad because he knows I'll be disappointed.
If I come home on a later flight, H will be disappointed. And I will feel bad because I know he'll be disappointed.

So I gently suggested we just cancel the whole trip and try again when the timing is better for both of us. After all, Disneyland is not going anywhere. It will still be there next year.
And then my H started to turn into a DH! Imagine that! pixiedust:

He insisted he really does want to go. And the more he thought about the super early flight and all that it entailed (getting up so early, having to go to bed early the night before) the more he liked the idea of taking an afternoon flight that gets us into PHL around midnight. He said, "I'll just sleep on the plane."

(Um, isn't this what I suggested yesterday? And what you had no interest in when I suggested it? Yes. But we won't bring that up. :))

So we are flying home on a 1:30pm flight that gets us into PHL at 11:30pm. He can sleep on the plane, and he can sleep in the car as I drive us home from PHL.

And they lived happily ever after. :love2:

I initially decided I would take a later flight home. But H was clearly not enthused by that.

I slept on it, and in the morning decided that a couple extra hours in Disney was not worth all the stress this was causing. So I told H that I would come home with him on his 6:30am flight.

Then I got to thinking: we have just backed ourselves into a corner where neither one of us will feel good about this trip.

If I come home on the super early flight with H, I'll be disappointed. And H will feel bad because he knows I'll be disappointed.
If I come home on a later flight, H will be disappointed. And I will feel bad because I know he'll be disappointed.

So I gently suggested we just cancel the whole trip and try again when the timing is better for both of us. After all, Disneyland is not going anywhere. It will still be there next year.

He insisted he really does want to go. And the more he thought about the super early flight and all that it entailed (getting up so early, having to go to bed early the night before) the more he liked the idea of taking an afternoon flight that gets us into PHL around midnight. He said, "I'll just sleep on the plane."

(Um, isn't this what I suggested yesterday? And what you had no interest in when I suggested it? Yes. But we won't bring that up. :))

So we are flying home on a 1:30pm flight that gets us into PHL at 11:30pm. He can sleep on the plane, and he can sleep in the car as I drive us home from PHL.

I love it when a plan comes together.

What a wonderful resolution! I hope you two have a magical time :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter