Nontraditional students: what school/major are you pursuing?

tinkerbell of winter

Keep Moving Forward-Walt Disney
I am a nontraditional student, I started my education at SUNY Oswego for Meteorology when I was 22, that lasted a year and then I decided to go to school for Nursing and got my Associates Degree in Nursing two years later. I am starting on my Bachelors Degree in Nursing in the fall at the ripe old age of 28, soon to be 29! I am a single parent and have an eight year old daughter and I work full time and will be going to school full time in the fall. Just wondering if anyone out there is in a similar situation as myself, moral support is needed!

I am a nontraditional student as well I am will be 36 on June 17 and I am persuing a bachelors degree in liberal arts.

I'm a nontraditional student as well! I am going to be 32 in August and I have only just decided what I wanted to do with my life...well, almost...;)

I'm attending Ivy Tech in Indianapolis and am studying to become a Pastry Chef! When I am done, I will have an Associate's degree in Hospitality Administration with a specialty in Baking and Pastry Arts. Not entirely sure what I want to do with it when I'm done...but I've got time to figure that out.

I began my college career the traditional way...right out of high school. Back then, I thought I wanted to be a music teacher...after 3 years of school...not so much anymore! I dropped out of college, went to travel school for 6 months and worked as a travel agent for about 5 years. 9/11 happened...the travel industry bottomed out and I've been a receptionist ever since. I discovered cake decorating last year and decided to further my education and skills...

I just turned 38 and I am still working on my last 24 credits. I am pregnant with my 5th so I am taking a break until next spring or summer. Then I plan to attend Regent University or William and Mary for grad school. I am in no rush as I enjoy being a WAHM for now.

I just met another mom at my kids' martial arts school who is a substitute teacher now, but will graduate soon with her Master's and eventually plans to go into administration.

We (nontrad students) are out there. We may just be too busy being nontraditional and all. lol

No, you're not alone. I will be 41 in less than 2 weeks. :rolleyes: I started college in 1982. :earseek: After a couple of years and switching majors (dance to nursing), I realized I didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up. In the meantime, I've done lots of jobs including bank manager. I ended up in my current job (elementary/special education instructional assistant) as a fluke which is when I finally realized what I wanted to do. Funny thing is I've been working with kids all my life, ever since high school. :smooth: I am pursuing my Bachelor's in Elementary and Special Education (dual certification) at Towson University. I am only going part time though as I really like my job and don't want to give that up to go full-time just yet (I will for my last 2 years). So it will take me another 5 years. I will be 46 when I graduate :cheer2:

I'll be 29 in July and I'm pursuing a career in dentistry. I spent 4 years in the army so I'm a bit older than most of my classmates, but I'm not the only one we have several non-traditional students in my class.
I'm at Southern Illinois University - School of Dental Medicine.

I'm a non traditional college student, too! I'll be 29 in August. I'm finally a senior, majoring in Liberal Studies (I want to be an elementary school teacher). I started college two years after I graduated from high school. I've only been going part time and I've changed majors a couple of times. Also I've taken semesters off when I got married and after I had my two babies :earsgirl: :earsboy: . Well, this fall quarter I've decided to attempt 17 units :scared1: . We'll see how that goes.

I'm a "non-traditional" student...I'm only 21 but I take night classes and everyone in my class is 35 and up. I don't mind it at all, granted I don't make an abundance of friends, and actually take classes with some of my friends parents, but it works for me. I am majoring in Literature and will finish this coming April. Upon which I will move south (Yay I'm going to be a FL resident!!!) and go to the Art Institute and get my chance at being an older traditional student and study Interior Design.

Non-Traditional here . . . . Finally made Senior Status at University of West Florida - I'm 30 soon to be 31 and majoring in Information Technology with a double minor - Computer Science and Computer Information Systems :badpc: .

Stick with it - I went through 19 hours this past spring and fall including going through Hurricane Ivan. Just went through Arlene and I won't get a break for my summer semester (taking 9 hours) - just 7 classes left till graduation - then Orlando - here we come! :banana: :banana: :banana: :mickeybar :mickeybar

Non-Traditional here as well. Currently have school on hold because of $$ reasons. I'm 30 and pursuing a history major at Stonehill college, but I'm hoping to transfer to Providence College.

Non traditional as well. I work, have kids, family and also go to school.

I started like most after high school, but since I was on my own, it was usually a survival issue.. rent check or school? Well, practicality won and I stopped going to school for a while.

After 13 years (!), I decided to go back. I just got my associates degree this past May and am continuing in for a special education certification.

I am at a point where I need to quit my job and go to school full time. That kills me to think that no money is coming in, but if I don't do that, I can't go any further. The school that I want to go to only offers ed classes during the day.

I just wanted to add some :wizard: to all of you that are working toward degrees as adults. I know exactly how difficult managing a family, a full-time career, and school is.

I graduated yesterday with a BS degree :cool1: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2:

I'm 30 years old (yikes). I got tired of making peanuts while doing the managers job. Anything is possible if you believe!! Never give up!!!!

I'm also a nontraditional student. I'm 25, married with one DS5. I am finishing my last class right now for my AS in Business at a community college. I work full time. I just got accepted to Florida State and planned on begining in the fall, but have decided to take a year off school so that i can get some bills paid off (I get a raise for haivng my AS degree) and hoping DH will find a better job. Then next year I want to work part time and go to school full time.

Minnie said:
I just wanted to add some :wizard: to all of you that are working toward degrees as adults. I know exactly how difficult managing a family, a full-time career, and school is.

I graduated yesterday with a BS degree :cool1: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2:

I'm 30 years old (yikes). I got tired of making peanuts while doing the managers job. Anything is possible if you believe!! Never give up!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!! :cheer2: Good for you.

I graduated with my bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education at the age of 40 last year! My oldest daughter was a freshman in college the year I was a senior. I was concerned that my age would be an issue in finding a job, but I found a third grade teaching position my first year out of school. I am now starting classes towards my master degree. Good luck to you! It is a lot of hard work, but well worth it. :teacher:

I have an associates degree in film and video production...worked in both the film and television worlds. After some bad experiences, I decided a career change was in order and now I am attending Kentucky Wesleyan College in Owensboro, KY. I am pursuing a degree in Middle Grades Education (emphasis on Social Studies and Language Arts) and a Minor in History.

I'm not AS non-traditional, I'm 23 (almost 24), but I've got a ways to go before graduation!

Jungle Josh

DD who one day hopes to get a job with Disney is now attending college in Gainesville. She is in a Zoo Science program at Santa Fe Community College. She plans to attend Friends(a partner school) University in KS, next year this time. I think that is pretty non traditional and won'e pay much but she is VERY happy with her choices so far.

Well I have to say I might take the cake. I am 45 in Aug. and have yet started back. I am taking a course this summer for web design. I have a rental home near Disney and figured why not be able to update my own web site instead of paying some one else. My plan is to own our home forever and I figured I could save money this way. I have an assoc. in gen studies. I have been a psych. amj. until I realized most of the students and prof. need more help then the rest of us. Not all now. Then I switched into nursing. During my second sem. on the floor I questioned my nursing instruc. Just for your info. you nursing students don't thats all I can say. Now I have all these science's so I am looking into the med field some how. Like the nursing but have a hard time with BS. You are all not alone. Good luck all in your endeavors. I guess I will graduate with my kids. One of them any way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter