Nonverbal Learning Disability?

tw1nsmom

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with this? There are some indications that DS may have this, and I'm just trying to gather information from as many sources as possible.

No, it's not Dyspraxia. From the research I've done thus far, NLD is when a person has difficulty with the nonverbal methods of communication. It's a right brain/myelin disfunction. Often people/children with this have motor (fine and gross) difficulties and visual-spatial difficulties. They have trouble reading facial expression, tone of voice, sarcasm and words with double meanings. Not everyone who has it has difficulties in all areas. One of the markers that can indicate it is a large discrepancy between verbal and performance IQ. It shares many characteristics of Aspbergers. I just don't know anyone whos child has been diagnosed and would like to get some practical/day-to-day info about it.

That helps.
Here's are some links that I found that apppear to be good information:
an explanation of Non-verbal Learning Disability.
non-verbal learning disability as a separate diagnosis
I have to say that I have never heard of it as a separate diagnosis before, more as part of a syndrome.
Hopefully with the extra information you added someone will be able to give you some assistance.
Another place to try is Exceptional Parent. It's actually a magazine for parents and professionals of kids with disabilities that has been around a long time (probably 25 yrs or so). They have a "Search and Respond" portion (not quite a forum) where you can ask questions like this and get responses from other parents.

My 10yo ds has an NLD

A good website to check out is nld line

try doing a search for the learning disabilities association in your area (I'm assuming that they have something in the US like that... not that much different then Canada!)

another web site for you LD online

my ds was also dx with ADD but we are questionable about that part b/c the 'symptoms' of the NLD tend to mimic those of ADD.

I'd be happy to try and answer any other specific questions you have.... our ds was dx when he was 7 yrs old and I have done alot of reading and have found alot of great local resources that have helped.

Originally posted by tw1nsmom
No, it's not Dyspraxia. From the research I've done thus far, NLD is when a person has difficulty with the nonverbal methods of communication. It's a right brain/myelin disfunction. Often people/children with this have motor (fine and gross) difficulties and visual-spatial difficulties. They have trouble reading facial expression, tone of voice, sarcasm and words with double meanings. Not everyone who has it has difficulties in all areas. One of the markers that can indicate it is a large discrepancy between verbal and performance IQ. It shares many characteristics of Aspbergers. I just don't know anyone whos child has been diagnosed and would like to get some practical/day-to-day info about it.

tw1nsmom,

My son has a Aspergers as well as Dyspraxia. He has the difficulties that you've listed here. His dyspraxia is a motor skill deficiency making him fairly uncoordinated.

If I can be of help with any day-to-day info I'd be happy to share our experiences with you. You can PM me if you'd like!

I want to thank all of you for the great links! I've got a lot of reading to do.

BitsnBearsMom: Ds is 4 and a half. This a tentative diagnosis that his developmental psychologist noted (she also indicated a posibility of ADHD innatentive). However, the more I read about NLD, the more it sems to fit Ds. It's also hard to ignore the fact that he had a large discrepency between performance and verbal scores on two independently given IQ tests. His psychologist wants to see if the results are replicated in January before she gives an official diagnosis.

My more immediate concerns are with his placement in preschool. He is in an integrated special needs preschool to attend to his motor delays and speech pragmatics, as well as social skills. However, class size is increasing dramatically this year and I'm not sure if this is the best placement for him. Unfortunately, the only other alternative at this point, due to full enrollment, is to keep him at home with itinerant services. Except for his twin sister, this would give him very little opportunity to practice social skills. The original plan was to move the children between two classrooms as well as their therapy room. I was able to modify his IEP so that he only goes to one classroom and his therapy room. How did your son respond to a preschool environment? Now that he's been diagnosed have the schools been cooperative with neccesary modifications? Everything I've read has just been so clinical. I guess I'm just looking for a more personal perspective.

My ds went to a montessori pre-school that I was VP at from the time he was 3yrs until he was 5.5 and switched to a public school kindergarden program here. If I knew then what I know now he would have never gone to the preshcool. It was a very stressful situation for him b/c he just didn't know how to interact with the other kids.... he just couldn't tell when they had 'had enough' so to speak b/c he couldn't read their body language (still at 10yo has problems!!) And the work they had him doing was just too much for him..... it frustrated him and took us a long time to get him back to wanting to learn again.

the other 1/2 of KG was ok but grade 1 was a nightmare. his teacher was just not accomodating for him b/c he had no official dx and she hadn't been teaching for long so I don't think she really understood his special needs (nor did we at the time) The principal of our school was great in pushing through his testing..... a usual 2 to 3 yr wait was bypassed and he managed to get the testing done in September of his grade 2 year. The summer before that though we managed to get him an occupational therapist and she did wonders with his printing and fine motor skills and even worked on the letter reversals.

We also went through our community mental health clinic and ds was put into a program to help his self esteem which at that point was pretty low.

When his testing results were completed we were told that he would never be at the same level as his peers b/c he just 'wasn't capeable of that' I am a very determined person and no one tells me that my kids can't do something...... (lucky for me ds is determined too!!lol) By the end of grade 3 he was reading at a grade 3 level and was doing the same math and other work (with some accomodations) as the other kids. He just finished grade 4 and is reading at about a grade 4 level (although he really dislikes reading and it's like pulling teeth to get him to do it)

His verbal IQ results came in at way above average levels and it shows when he needs to do things like speeches and stories (he tells us what to write down and we do all the writing) He can talk circles around most people!!lol On tests and such they try to read as much as they can for him and they scribe for him when they can. We have a wonderful resource team at our school and he leaves his regular class for the resource class 4X a week for an hour or more each time. The principal has done a great job placing him with teacher's that will be accomodating and understanding of his learning difference also (hate the term learning disability..... my ds just learns different then what they expect the 'norm' to be)

From experience you just have to stay on top of the school b/c you are your child's best advocate. Generally if the school's see that you are willing to be part of their team to help out your child then they will be more accomodating for you.

Sorry this was so long winded!!lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter