Normal room or dvc studio?

qwerty2k

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone. Never been to Hawaii before but considering going in August of this year. Looking at 5 nights. There is currently no price difference between a island gardens view room and deluxe studio garden view (dvc).

Is there any particular reason to pick one over the other?

I guess dvc = washing and cooking facilities but no house keeping

Hotel room = mouse keeping.

Not sure we would use the kitchen facilities in dvc but just wondered if anyone could give any advice as to if there is much / any difference between the two.

You've pretty much got the differences down. Its just a matter of what is important to you. Personally I don't find the no-mousekeeping to be an issue.

DVC studios have 1 Queen bed and a sleeper couch. Being able to have a couch sitting area is nice. A bed will usually be more comfortable than a sleeper couch.

We did a DVC studio last fall. The housekeeping was not much of an issue for us. The biggest benefit for us was the kitchenette. The difference in room cost was minimal... but in reality we came out so far ahead because we took some microwavable food and made a run to the store across the street for some supplies vs. buying every meal. Also as the previous post mentioned the couch in the sitting area was very nice to relax on, couldn't agree more with that. At night it was easy to fold out the sleeper for our kids, they didn't mind it, and I even spent some time on it, not to shabby as far as sleeper sofas go.

The DVC rooms are also slightly smaller than regular rooms at Aulani - and smaller than other DVC resort studios. We always appreciate having a kitchenette in the studio rooms at any DVC property, especially Aulani. I would only recommend a studio villa for two people though; with the bed and sleeper sofa out at the same time, in the smaller space, feels much more crowded than a regular room. If you want four people and a kitchen, I would recommend the 1 bedroom villa.

Thanks for the info everyone. It will be just me and my wife, may go for the dvc then as it seems a little more convenient.

Thanks for the info everyone. It will be just me and my wife, may go for the dvc then as it seems a little more convenient.

I am not sure if you were planning on booking the DVC studio directly through Disney or renting points from a DVC owner. If you book through Disney you will get daily housekeeping in the studio. Only the DVC points reservation are limited in the housekeeping. However, if you book through Disney you will have to pay for parking. If you rent points, you will not pay for parking.

Are you looking at paying cash for a studio or a standard hotel room, booking directly through Disney? PP is correct that if you are paying for this reservation (rather than using DVC points), then housekeeping would be included with a studio. You'd also have to pay for parking and would not receive free laundry tokens.

So, if paying cash (booking direct through Disney), the only differences would be that a hotel room is slightly larger in square footage and includes two queen beds. The studio has one queen bed and a pull-out sleeper sofa, plus the kitchenette that includes a mini fridge, small sink, microwave, and toaster. DH and I do not cook on vacation, but we did find the kitchenette handy for storing the drinks and snacks we bought at Target on the way in. Food can be very expensive there, so having easy breakfast items handy helped with that.

If you're considering renting DVC points, just be mindful that its late to book for August (generally speaking), but this year may be unique because of the construction.

I've stayed in both and preferred the hotel room to the studio - mostly because of space. The difference is fairly minimal, though.

We will be paying cash and the prices I saw were through Expedia. Just read about the construction. Anyone any idea how badly it will be (obviously no one will really know until it starts I guess).

We will be paying cash and the prices I saw were through Expedia. Just read about the construction. Anyone any idea how badly it will be (obviously no one will really know until it starts I guess).

It begins August 19th. If you're traveling before that, no concerns. If after that, the closures will be significant - so much so they are offering a $50 resort credit. The lazy river, waterslide, and hot tub will be closed 8/19 through October - https://www.disneyaulani.com/pool-refurbishment/

Since you'd be paying for a DVC studio and not using DVC points, housekeeping would be included.

If we are using DVC points, but staying in a regular hotel room, do we get housekeeping or is it regular DVC housekeeping rules?

The DVC rooms are also slightly smaller than regular rooms at Aulani - and smaller than other DVC resort studios. We always appreciate having a kitchenette in the studio rooms at any DVC property, especially Aulani. I would only recommend a studio villa for two people though; with the bed and sleeper sofa out at the same time, in the smaller space, feels much more crowded than a regular room. If you want four people and a kitchen, I would recommend the 1 bedroom villa.
We have always used the Studio for our family of four. Never had an issue til last time, because our kids are older now. We will definitely get a 1 bedroom if we all go again.

It begins August 19th. If you're traveling before that, no concerns. If after that, the closures will be significant - so much so they are offering a $50 resort credit. The lazy river, waterslide, and hot tub will be closed 8/19 through October - https://www.disneyaulani.com/pool-refurbishment/

Since you'd be paying for a DVC studio and not using DVC points, housekeeping would be included.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that it's a $50.00 credit per room per day. If you want more beach time then pool time, I would definitely still go during those dates. There will still be pools open during that time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that it's a $50.00 credit per room per day. If you want more beach time then pool time, I would definitely still go during those dates. There will still be pools open during that time.

I don't know the exact credit, that may be accurate. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend the money on Aulani when the lazy river and kid's play area will be out of commission. The lagoon at Aulani is nice, but the beach is not my favorite. If the resort was discounted (rather than a credit), I might consider it, but I think the closure and the construction in the area are detractors. This is personal opinion though - some may not be bothered by this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter