Norway Ports - opinions/help needed!

We stopped in Stavanger and it was a beautiful town and Lysefjord was wonderful but I'm sad we didn't see Geiranger. I think I would trade Geiranger to also see Iceland though. A little of each...

This is how I feel - I would trade Geiranger for Iceland, for sure. I did the 11 night last year and we also had Kristiansand and many (most) on our sailing agreed they could have skipped that port all together. We also visited Oslo which I had been there previously but we had an awesome day there with friends on the sailing. The best part of the cruise for us was Iceland and it was awesome to have the extra icing on the cake with Norway and Scotland. I know people sail for different reasons and countries but just offering the other side of it :)

Heather

I think I want to go to Amsterdam before the cruise.
That sounds like fun! We're looking to spend a few days in Copenhagen before the cruise and travel a bit afterwards. Perhaps we'll end up in Amstedam after our cruise. Enjoy your planning!

I'm trying to convince my husband to do the Norway 7 night cruise (4th of June), perfect timing for us: school holidays that week, plus my birthday!! We did the inaugural one last year (also celebrated my birthday on board) and loved it, I would love to do it all again.

That sounds like fun! We're looking to spend a few days in Copenhagen before the cruise and travel a bit afterwards. Perhaps we'll end up in Amstedam after our cruise. Enjoy your planning!
Planning it's my favorite!!

Reactions: MUN

We're doing the Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this summer, but we're also getting there early and renting a car so we can really get to know Denmark. Perhaps you could rent a car and do a Norway pre or post visit?

Geiranger was actually the port that sold us on taking a Norway cruise. We are doing a B2B with the Baltic starting June 29th, 2016. I have also booked my excursions with Rodne.no, and they are much cheaper than DCL. One thing you should do is go and read the trip reports from the various previous cruisers...they have posted a lot of pictures, and discuss the various ports. This may help you decide which itinerary you may prefer.

We went on a Wonder 9-night Alaskan cruise in 2014, we LOVED it. Another reason why we thought we would like Norway. We come from the desert, so this kind of scenery just amazed our family....the kids were like "do we have to go back to Vegas"....

Which excursions did you go with if I may ask...? A little early to start our planning (we booked the 7 night for next year) but I do like daydreaming! :)

If you can wait a couple of months we are on the 7 night Norwegian Fjords leaving May 29th (perfect timing as school gets out on the 25th!). We have the following planned:

Stavanger: Lysefjord cruise
Alesund: Alesund highlights
Geiranger: Rib boat
Bergen: Bergen highlights

I'll have plenty of pictures and reports when we get back!

If you can wait a couple of months we are on the 7 night Norwegian Fjords leaving May 29th (perfect timing as school gets out on the 25th!). We have the following planned:

Stavanger: Lysefjord cruise
Alesund: Alesund highlights
Geiranger: Rib boat
Bergen: Bergen highlights

I'll have plenty of pictures and reports when we get back!
I look forward to hearing about your trip. I hope you have a great time!

Thanks, everyone! I have the 11 night on hold but I still haven't gotten up the nerve to discuss with hubby. At least its only 10% deposit with our OBB! I'm thinking there's only a 50/50 shot we will actually get to book:sad1:

We're doing the Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this summer, but we're also getting there early and renting a car so we can really get to know Denmark. Perhaps you could rent a car and do a Norway pre or post visit?
All of Scandinavia (and Europe in general) is very easy to access via public transportation. You don't need a car to get most places. I highly recommend traveling to and spending a few days in Stockholm if you can swing it. Closer by, Malmo is just a train ride across the bridge from Copenhagen!

Which excursions did you go with if I may ask...? A little early to start our planning (we booked the 7 night for next year) but I do like daydreaming! :)

Here are our Excursions (We booked 3 of the 4 outside of DCL, saved us a bunch of $):

Geiranger - We booked the Panorama Bus Tour (10:45 a.m.) with Geiranger Fjordservice - $102 for family of 4
Stavanger - We booked the Lysefjord & Pulpit Rock Tour (10:00 a.m.) with Rodne Fjord Cruise - $158 for family of 4
Bergen - We booked the Fjord cruise Bergen-Mostraumen (10:00 a.m.) with Rodne Fjord Cruise - $183 for family of 4
Bergen - Mt. Floien Funicular - We will just buy tickets there - $25 for a family of 4
Alesund - We booked the Alesund Highlight Tour through DCL - $220 for a family of 4

All in all, the cost for the above was a total of $688 for the four of us, if we would have booked similar excursions through Disney, it would have cost us $1,330....so it is worth it to at least look at outside tour operators.

I've decided that we are cruising with Viking for Norway. It's called the Viking Homelands. I feel it has a better itinerary. If you don't have kids you may want to check them out.

We did but at the bottom, so no big view. The small cruise sails to right beneath and stays for a bit for photos.
Thanks, so you didn't hike to the top and walk on ledge. The video I watched said it was a 3 hour rt hike to the top.

MUN

Thanks, so you didn't hike to the top and walk on ledge. The video I watched said it was a 3 hour rt hike to the top.

MUN

There were some reports from the Pulpit Rock excursion from 2015. It generally said that it was a very strenuous hike and some people did not make it. Most people seem to feel that they were quite rushed. Maybe try a search with "Pulpit Rock" here on the DIS, that should bring up the reports... I don't have the time right now, otherwise I would do it for you, so sorry for being only halfway helpful! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!