Norway Ride & Rivers Of Light (Disappointing Progress Updates)

1) The ride is unique.
2) But, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
3) Sorry, but uniqueness does not count if you can't get on it to see/experience it.

Granted...the question is does it get worked out?

Does it become a technical problem child like test track?

Or worse...the fail of the yeti

Granted...the question is does it get worked out?

Does it become a technical problem child like test track?

Or worse...the fail of the yeti
I would guess at worst something like test track. If it became like the yeti they would have to shut it down and fix it. This isn't a ride you can just throw in a strobe light and call it a day.

1) The ride is unique.
2) But, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
3) Sorry, but uniqueness does not count if you can't get on it to see/experience it.
1) It is also only two days old
2) Patience is required for brand new rides
3) I'm pretty sure you can get on it if you're down there and patient
4) The numbered format for every post is annoying

I would guess at worst something like test track. If it became like the yeti they would have to shut it down and fix it. This isn't a ride you can just throw in a strobe light and call it a day.

Epcot is bereft of rides...and this thing will draw in the princess nut crowd.

It Needs to work...plain and simple.

Hopefully it does

I think the rides should be debugged prior to Grand Opening . . which is why there are Soft Openings.
Even soft openings don't solve everything though. Seven dwarves mine train had about a 2 week soft opening and still had a few issues after the grand opening. Even after a grand opening sure everything will be working but once in a while things will break down. I don't think there has ever been a ride that's never broken down or had mechanical issues. The potter rides at universal had technical issues, practically everything does these days.

How is the Frozen ride unique? I'm genuinely curious about that comment.

#makeepcotgreatagain

They could start by bringing back Wonders of Life.

I still contend that Innoventions at a minimum could be easily resolved by approaching a myriad of companies; Apple, Tesla, SpaceX, the Hyperloops, Virgin Galactic, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Google, IBM, Intel, etc, etc

I realize some are more flush with cash than others and perhaps I'm too optimistic. Get one in and I think others will want to follow, if done properly. SpaceX/Virgin Galactic overlay of Mission Space? I could see Facebook being integrated with Spaceship Earth on your return trip, linking it to your account and seeing some type of info on the globe (where your picture is now) when you exit? Bring back Wonders of Life with some biotech overlay?

Interesting trip report! Wish I wasn't so young so I could remember when I visited Nickelodeon Studios. I'm not one of those crazy people that think it should reopen but I wish there was more info on it. And Hanna really was just ok rewatching it. It's replacement, Nicktoon Blast was my favorite ride there but now that's gone. Haven't tried Minion Mayhem yet but I'm looking forward to it if I ever go back. I don't know why but old Universal just fascinates me so thank you for your update!

I do remember how everyone thought it was so cool that Mel's Diner and Schwab's Pharmacy was there...they weren't the real ones...lol.

I don't think there has ever been a ride that's never broken down or had mechanical issues. The potter rides at universal had technical issues, practically everything does these days.
Exactly! I remember going down a month after hogsmede opened and we were telling my great aunt and uncle we were visiting and they told us about how that forbidden journey had a mass evacuation a couple days ago. Gringotts was closed for technical problems for three days I believe it was last January? Point is frozen hasn't had anything to that extreme yet so a breakdown here and there and an animatronic not working for a couple minutes is nothing

Exactly! I remember going down a month after hogsmede opened and we were telling my great aunt and uncle we were visiting and they told us about how that forbidden journey had a mass evacuation a couple days ago. Gringotts was closed for technical problems for three days I believe it was last January? Point is frozen hasn't had anything to that extreme yet so a breakdown here and there and an animatronic not working for a couple minutes is nothing

The massive computer systems required to run some of these newer rides amazes me. Disney could create a tour for us geeky people just to see the ride control rooms. Plus these rides are so sensitive now that if one thing is off it shuts the whole ride down. Which can cause a reboot of the entire system. Think about when your computer freezes and you have to reboot. At Disneyland I was watching the computer screen that displayed Toy Story Midway Mania and it was fascinating.

How is the Frozen ride unique? I'm genuinely curious about that comment.

1) Graphics are really well done.
. . . the princesses almost look ALIVE
. . . it is a really good effect from the rear projectors
2) The ride sequence:
. . . board your log
. . . see goofy snowman Olaf and equally goofy reindeer Sven
. . . stop at Troll Valley
. . . Grand Pappy Troll tells the story of how Anna and Kristof met
. . . log goes up a ramp to find Olaf
. . . Anna and Kristof, are singing with Sven
. . . Elsa singing “Let It Go” in her ice castle. (HINT: the centerpiece of the ride)
. . . special effects of simulated snow/ice crystals soaring around the room
. . . ride by Marshmallow, formerly evil snowman from “Frozen” and his Snowgie pals
. . . Marshmallow yells “Let It Go” before the log travels through a mist cloud and reaches the final scene
. . . fireworks and a wave from Elsa-Anna-Olaf-Sven-Kristof
. . . end ride

NOTE: I do think it is a good ride. I just wish it was debugged before the Grand Opening. I can't imagine waiting 5-hours for ANY ride, not counting an extra 1-2 hours when the ride breaks down.

1) Graphics are really well done.
. . . the princesses almost look ALIVE
. . . it is a really good effect from the rear projectors
2) The ride sequence:
. . . board your log
. . . see goofy snowman Olaf and equally goofy reindeer Sven
. . . stop at Troll Valley
. . . Grand Pappy Troll tells the story of how Anna and Kristof met
. . . log goes up a ramp to find Olaf
. . . Anna and Kristof, are singing with Sven
. . . Elsa singing “Let It Go” in her ice castle. (HINT: the centerpiece of the ride)
. . . special effects of simulated snow/ice crystals soaring around the room
. . . ride by Marshmallow, formerly evil snowman from “Frozen” and his Snowgie pals
. . . Marshmallow yells “Let It Go” before the log travels through a mist cloud and reaches the final scene
. . . fireworks and a wave from Elsa-Anna-Olaf-Sven-Kristof
. . . end ride

NOTE: I do think it is a good ride. I just wish it was debugged before the Grand Opening. I can't imagine waiting 5-hours for ANY ride, not counting an extra 1-2 hours when the ride breaks down.

What are you hearing is going wrong with it? I think in one post you said you heard the boats were getting stuck (?). A lot of people are saying the AAs are acting up.

What are you hearing is going wrong with it? I think in one post you said you heard the boats were getting stuck (?). A lot of people are saying the AAs are acting up.

1) They did resolve the "boats rubbing" problems.
2) As for "what is wrong", there is a shopping list.
3) Hopefully, the issues can be fixed somewhat quickly. *

* This is unlike Rivers of Light. MANY of the CM's working on the project are saying they think it will be running next year.
In fact, some are spreading the RUMOR that they are shooting for Earth Day, 2017 (April) !

Last edited:
1) They did resolve the "boats rubbing" problems.
2) As for "what is wrong", there is a shopping list.
3) Hopefully, the issues can be fixed somewhat quickly. *

* This is unlike Rivers of Light. MANY of the CM's working on the project are saying they think it will be running next year.
In fact, some are spreading the RUMOR that they are shooting for Earth Day, 2017 (April) !

I thought it would be up by the end of summer? What will happen when Jungle Book ends? Hoping to see *something* along those lines for Princess Half Weekend in February!

Can anyone say for sure that they are working on ROL during this summer ?
My guess...when it didn't open in spring they had to have something "Jungle Book" to get thru the summer since they were having AK open at night for the busiest season.
Do they work on it after the park closes till it opens again in the morning?
Another guess...they might run the Jungle Book till end of summer and then fix or re-work ROL during the fall, of course that would mean no night hours for AK till it was ready.
I just don't see how they can get anything done in the middle of the night if the area is set up for the other show.

Another guess...they might run the Jungle Book till end of summer and then fix or re-work ROL during the fall, of course that would mean no night hours for AK till it was ready.
Not sure what you mean there. ROL wasn't the only thing planned for evening hours at AK. There is the Tree of Life lighting up, Nighttime Safaris along with music and other entertainment at night...

ETA:
Just checked and 9/28 the current hrs for AK is 7:30pm..in the past it would be like 5 or 5:30 from what I remember and they could always extend the Sep hrs especially with it being 3 months away. October 28th is 7:00pm.

Keep in mind this makes sense given the closer you get to winter the earlier the sun sets. On Sep 28th in Orlando suns sets around 7:14pm and on Oct 28th the sun sets around 6:43pm (based on my quick search).

Just checked and last time I was there in Sep 2011 AK closed at 5pm every day and so was October 2011 for a comparison.

Like I mentioned earlier they can always lengthen the time they are open. The fact that they already show hours past sunset 3 and 4 months in advance (albeit not too too far past) means they are already planning on keeping some or all of the stuff I listed in my 1st paragraph.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is.... When are they working on ROL ? If they are I assume they would need to do dress rehearsals. so do they work on it while the park is open?
Has anybody seen anybody working on it during the day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!