Norwegian?

Just curious if anyone who has been on both lines can tell me how the internet compares. I understand each individual ship may be different but DH and I would always get by with the free 50MB on DCL because we only check for emails from parents and our house watcher and check CC balances. NCL sells by the minute. I am starting to plan/budget the extra costs for our cruise later this year and am wondering if the 250 minute package will be enough. I guess my concern is if the internet is slow will it eat up the minutes faster. We are going on the Breakaway and are used to the Fantasy's service.

My experience with NCL internet is basically the same as on DCL - it stinks :P . It's cruise ship internet and it's really dependent on where you are located. For example, last fall we were cruising in the Eastern Med. We had pretty decent service when we were near Italy, but it was basically not even usable when we were near Greece. But then I had the same experience with my Verizon cell service. Italy was fantastic, but cell service in Greece was often nonexistent.

That said, I think 250 minutes should be fine for what you are talking about for a week. The fact that NCL sells by the minute does affect things, so you are correct that it's something to be aware of. You'll know pretty quickly if the internet is going to function properly when you log in. If it's just spinning and not working, log out and try again later. Once on an NCL cruise off the coast of Canada, the internet was so awful it wouldn't even allow me to log out and it ate up a ton of minutes. I went down to see the internet manager and he immediately restored my minutes from the time I logged in on the last session. No questions asked - took all of about a minute. I think they are used to it.

Well, DH and I just returned from our first Norwegian cruise this past Saturday. We sailed on the Breakaway out of PC on a Western Caribbean. We had a great time and found many things to be comparable, it not better than Disney.

Embarkation - was organized and easy - we arrived at the port at 10:39 (time on parking ticket) dropped off our luggage, parked, got through security and check in and were on the ship eating lunch by 11:15. And they apologized for taking so long because they were doing a more in depth passport check.

Food - we found the food to be as good as Disney if not better. And we found that we really enjoyed the freedom to each when we wanted and not being tied down to a specific day and restaurant. We felt like we actually ate less this cruise because we went to the buffet or other location when we were hungry. And all the options (pay/or included) were great. We didn't do any of the pay options but will be next time.

Staff - they were friendly and helpful just like Disney

Cool Activities - I really loved that they offered the painting classes. I got a chance to do one, but would have loved to do more- they offered 5 different pictures to paint on a 7 day cruise. I have been waiting for Disney to offer this on the Fantasy but no luck. The ropes course was something DH enjoyed (I'm afraid of heights) and he would have done it more than once but high winds closed it on the day he wanted to go back.

The Room - we had an inside stateroom. It was small, much smaller than a Disney room, but it didn't bother us. They could use some drawers to put stuff, but we new they didn't have that and used packing cubes on shelves instead which worked fine. They need to add an outlet or USB charging spot near the bed. The shower was great - roomy and DH who is 6'4" didn't have to hunch over to get clean... he had plenty of head room. And the Breakaway used a lighting system over each door to show if you were in the room (white), do not disturb (red) and please clean room (green). And we found with so much to do on the ship we were hardly ever in the room - and on Disney we would retreat to the room to watch a movie on demand because we had times with nothing to do.

Pools - DH and I do not do pools or sunbath. I might get in the pool for an hour on the Fantasy and maybe do the hot tub for an hour too. WTS the pool deck was always busy, with almost 4000 people on the ship (we sailed full) it seemed crowded so I didn't bother trying. I did see later on during the cruse that dinner/shows time would have been a good time to try because it was much quieter but I had other things to keep me entertained.

Shows - we normally don't do shows and did not go to any of the theater shows on the Breakaway so I can't comment, but I loved Howl at the Moon!

Debarkation - NCL has this down to a science and puts Disney to shame! They work off a color coded time system where you pick your time to get off the ship and they separate times by individuals and those with transfers. We chose 10am, and were called to get off the ship at 9:20. There were no long lines, no cues at the terminal like with Disney. They also used a new Facial Recognition customs and border protection check. They actually were on the ship, you walked up to the screen, looked at it and if it turned green you were clear to leave. If it turned blue you had to present yourself to an agent. We walked right off the ship, into the terminal, grabbed our suitcases and walked to the car. We were on the road to home in about 20-25 minutes from the time they called our color. Very impressive how efficient the process was considering there was almost 4000 people on the ship. And the ship was full. They had signs at check in that said do not ask for an upgrade we are at capacity.

Private Island - We could not get to Great Stirrup Cay - the Caption made the announcement at 8am - it was unsafe to tender so we had an extra sea day.

Internet - with the exception of 2 late nights the system was down for a short period of time the internet was great. It was so much faster than Disney (for what I used it for) and I like having the usage track by minutes not megabytes. 250 minutes gave us plenty of time for what we needed to do (Thanks @Pens Fan ) and we ended up with 30 minutes to use up on the last night. We only used it for checking emails and FB messenger to communicate with friends we were meeting up with at different ports and researching items we wanted to purchase on ship to compare pricing.

To sum it up... We are so glad we branched out and tried something new. So much so that we have decided that we are going to cancel our next Disney cruise (and loose a place holder with OBC) and book another one with NCL instead. We can get a longer cruise with all the perk included plus an on board credit and save over $1000 than we have paid for a comparable room on Disney with zero perks.

We did Norwegian Bliss to Alaska last summer. We enjoyed it and noticed few differences. I really enjoyed their equivalent to DCL's rainforest spa package because their beds were in front of a wide panorama of windows that allowed you to take in the gorgeous scenery. I will say that we did not take the kids on that trip, and I think it is more adult-oriented. My kids would have been bored on the boat, I think. They do have kids clubs, but they didn't seem very busy. And, while the singing was excellent in "Jersey Boys", there was a lot of foul language that wouldn't have been appropriate for kids (and wasn't really necessary to the storyline?). It irritated me, but I had to remind myself that I wasn't at Disney :)

As long as you didn’t use your placeholder, you can get a refund, I believe. We sail mostly NCL now because how crazy DCL prices are. Our daughter is also getting out of the princess phase and much prefers the laser tag, go carts, and rock climbing walls that NCL has to offer. We are now paying a third of the price of Disney for twice as many onboard offerings. Good for you for branching out!

My experience with NCL internet is basically the same as on DCL - it stinks :P . It's cruise ship internet and it's really dependent on where you are located. For example, last fall we were cruising in the Eastern Med. We had pretty decent service when we were near Italy, but it was basically not even usable when we were near Greece. But then I had the same experience with my Verizon cell service. Italy was fantastic, but cell service in Greece was often nonexistent.

That said, I think 250 minutes should be fine for what you are talking about for a week. The fact that NCL sells by the minute does affect things, so you are correct that it's something to be aware of. You'll know pretty quickly if the internet is going to function properly when you log in. If it's just spinning and not working, log out and try again later. Once on an NCL cruise off the coast of Canada, the internet was so awful it wouldn't even allow me to log out and it ate up a ton of minutes. I went down to see the internet manager and he immediately restored my minutes from the time I logged in on the last session. No questions asked - took all of about a minute. I think they are used to it.
We found NCL to be better than DCL internet only because they are based on minutes and not Megabytes. It’s so much easier to keep track of. Plus they have an unlimited plan and a streaming plan which is much faster. Overall though Royal Caribbean’s Voom internet runs all other cruise lines up a tree! 😂 It’s amazing.

Well, DH and I just returned from our first Norwegian cruise this past Saturday. We sailed on the Breakaway out of PC on a Western Caribbean. We had a great time and found many things to be comparable, it not better than Disney.

Embarkation - was organized and easy - we arrived at the port at 10:39 (time on parking ticket) dropped off our luggage, parked, got through security and check in and were on the ship eating lunch by 11:15. And they apologized for taking so long because they were doing a more in depth passport check.

Food - we found the food to be as good as Disney if not better. And we found that we really enjoyed the freedom to each when we wanted and not being tied down to a specific day and restaurant. We felt like we actually ate less this cruise because we went to the buffet or other location when we were hungry. And all the options (pay/or included) were great. We didn't do any of the pay options but will be next time.

Staff - they were friendly and helpful just like Disney

Cool Activities - I really loved that they offered the painting classes. I got a chance to do one, but would have loved to do more- they offered 5 different pictures to paint on a 7 day cruise. I have been waiting for Disney to offer this on the Fantasy but no luck. The ropes course was something DH enjoyed (I'm afraid of heights) and he would have done it more than once but high winds closed it on the day he wanted to go back.

The Room - we had an inside stateroom. It was small, much smaller than a Disney room, but it didn't bother us. They could use some drawers to put stuff, but we new they didn't have that and used packing cubes on shelves instead which worked fine. They need to add an outlet or USB charging spot near the bed. The shower was great - roomy and DH who is 6'4" didn't have to hunch over to get clean... he had plenty of head room. And the Breakaway used a lighting system over each door to show if you were in the room (white), do not disturb (red) and please clean room (green). And we found with so much to do on the ship we were hardly ever in the room - and on Disney we would retreat to the room to watch a movie on demand because we had times with nothing to do.

Pools - DH and I do not do pools or sunbath. I might get in the pool for an hour on the Fantasy and maybe do the hot tub for an hour too. WTS the pool deck was always busy, with almost 4000 people on the ship (we sailed full) it seemed crowded so I didn't bother trying. I did see later on during the cruse that dinner/shows time would have been a good time to try because it was much quieter but I had other things to keep me entertained.

Shows - we normally don't do shows and did not go to any of the theater shows on the Breakaway so I can't comment, but I loved Howl at the Moon!

Debarkation - NCL has this down to a science and puts Disney to shame! They work off a color coded time system where you pick your time to get off the ship and they separate times by individuals and those with transfers. We chose 10am, and were called to get off the ship at 9:20. There were no long lines, no cues at the terminal like with Disney. They also used a new Facial Recognition customs and border protection check. They actually were on the ship, you walked up to the screen, looked at it and if it turned green you were clear to leave. If it turned blue you had to present yourself to an agent. We walked right off the ship, into the terminal, grabbed our suitcases and walked to the car. We were on the road to home in about 20-25 minutes from the time they called our color. Very impressive how efficient the process was considering there was almost 4000 people on the ship. And the ship was full. They had signs at check in that said do not ask for an upgrade we are at capacity.

Private Island - We could not get to Great Stirrup Cay - the Caption made the announcement at 8am - it was unsafe to tender so we had an extra sea day.

Internet - with the exception of 2 late nights the system was down for a short period of time the internet was great. It was so much faster than Disney (for what I used it for) and I like having the usage track by minutes not megabytes. 250 minutes gave us plenty of time for what we needed to do (Thanks @Pens Fan ) and we ended up with 30 minutes to use up on the last night. We only used it for checking emails and FB messenger to communicate with friends we were meeting up with at different ports and researching items we wanted to purchase on ship to compare pricing.

To sum it up... We are so glad we branched out and tried something new. So much so that we have decided that we are going to cancel our next Disney cruise (and loose a place holder with OBC) and book another one with NCL instead. We can get a longer cruise with all the perk included plus an on board credit and save over $1000 than we have paid for a comparable room on Disney with zero perks.

Thanks so much for your review! I just booked the Norwegian Encore last night for Alaska in 2021 and am excited to try something new. We have only sailed Carnival & Disney but decided to go a different route for Alaska. And we couldn't pass up the "kind of" Free at Sea perks, the OBC, and the room discount that the price included.

We're pretty easy going cruisers, but it's always interesting & a little nerve wracking to branch out of your cruising comfort zone!

Has anyone cruised Norwegian?
My mom and her BFF are trying to talk us into going on one in 2021, we've only done Disney and I really don't know what I think. Thoughts? (And no the trip would not be free for us, we would be paying our own way.)
We have never been on Norwegian, but friends of ours just got back from a cruise on a Norwegian cruise ship. I don't know which one though. They had only good things to say about their cruise, and were very satisfied. They only had one port that was cancelled this past week, and it was too windy, apparently, to go to their private island. All in all, they loved it:)

Thanks so much for your review! I just booked the Norwegian Encore last night for Alaska in 2021 and am excited to try something new. We have only sailed Carnival & Disney but decided to go a different route for Alaska. And we couldn't pass up the "kind of" Free at Sea perks, the OBC, and the room discount that the price included.

We're pretty easy going cruisers, but it's always interesting & a little nerve wracking to branch out of your cruising comfort zone!
We actually have Alaska booked with Princess. We booked during their big sale in Jan/Feb - 7 day out of Seattle, Glacier bay, drink package, internet and ALL gratuities. NCL was $1200 more than Princess for the same itinerary same week. We did Princess 15 years ago when MIL gifted us a trip. It was a good cruise but we were younger and weren't ready to give up the Kool-aide yet. We have a totally different attitude about it for the upcoming trip.

We did the third Alaska sailing will the NCL Bliss when she was a brand new ship in 2018 and it was amazing. We had a great time and my girls loved the kids club there. They do a carnival show in the main theater with all the acts the kids work on over the week onboard, it was really cute. We chose the NCL Bliss because for 7 of us it was $12k for two mini suite cabins with all the free options vs $18K for our family of 5 on DCL. So thankful we made the switch because we took my in laws with us and my father in law died unexpectedly a couple months later so it was nice to have had such a nice last vacation full of great memories with him. If we chose DCL they would not have come with us due to the cost.

We did the third Alaska sailing will the NCL Bliss when she was a brand new ship in 2018 and it was amazing. We had a great time and my girls loved the kids club there. They do a carnival show in the main theater with all the acts the kids work on over the week onboard, it was really cute. We chose the NCL Bliss because for 7 of us it was $12k for two mini suite cabins with all the free options vs $18K for our family of 5 on DCL. So thankful we made the switch because we took my in laws with us and my father in law died unexpectedly a couple months later so it was nice to have had such a nice last vacation full of great memories with him. If we chose DCL they would not have come with us due to the cost.

That's awesome you got to spend that trip with him! Glad you have great memories of it!

It's just DH and I sailing and it was about $5K for our balcony. That also included all of their "Free at Sea" perks, taxes & port fees and a $200 OBC. DH and I always purchase a beverage package so just having to pay gratuities for said package was an added benefit for us. DCL was about $7K for the same dates and verandah stateroom with no extra perks or OBC. So not a HUGE difference, but enough that it matters to us. Plus, our itinerary goes to Glacier Bay which unfortunately, DCL does not do.

That's awesome you got to spend that trip with him! Glad you have great memories of it!

It's just DH and I sailing and it was about $5K for our balcony. That also included all of their "Free at Sea" perks, taxes & port fees and a $200 OBC. DH and I always purchase a beverage package so just having to pay gratuities for said package was an added benefit for us. DCL was about $7K for the same dates and verandah stateroom with no extra perks or OBC. So not a HUGE difference, but enough that it matters to us. Plus, our itinerary goes to Glacier Bay which unfortunately, DCL does not do.
Use that 2k savings towards great excursions. If they offer the excursion in Ketchikan still that gives you a whale watching boat ride to the rainforest to see the biggest tree with a crab boil after pick it!! It was the best experience, saw 4 whales bubble feeding, the rainforest was so beautiful and the crab boil was so delicious. The white pass railroad was a nice relaxing experience too.

The math on those “gratuities” seemed sketchy to me though. When I priced NCL, the “free” drinks came out to $100 a day in gratuity, which if that was really a 20% gratuity, would mean drinking $500 per day in booze. My DH and I like drinks, but that would kill us!

I agree about the “free” drink package gratuities. It’s way more than 20% that why we declined the free drink package on our pride of America hawaii cruise next summer. I’d rather just pay for what I drink as we are not big drinkers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter