• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Norweigan cruise line kids club?

andrews_dad

DIS Veteran
After 5 Disney cruises we are priced out of the market. Looking at saving $3000 vs Disney for same October week. We can take a second vacation with that $, looking at Costa Rica. Kids are ages 7 and 9 at time of sailing. Who has experience with the kids club on nlc.

Are you locked into NCL? They would be my last choice. I've tried them a few times and hated it each time. RC is far better and even Carnival was better than NCL.

You might like NCL though. My parents really like them.

No. Have not booked. Have been on 5 DCL. Loved all, but just can't stomach the cost anymore. One Carnival (before kids). One Princess. Norwegian for October is amazingly cheap. With Southwest flying to Costa Rica for cheap, we can do Costa Rica trip for 4 plus a week on Norweigan for 4 for less than just a week on DCL. As much as I love Diz ships, it just does not add up for our vacation budget.

Wondering specifically about the kid's club for kids ages 7 and 9. DO they have fun, organized activities? Something where we can know the kids will come back smiling and anxious to go back the next day? Anyone know if they do any Halloween-theme things for kids of October trips? Was on Disney from San Juan last October for a Halloween on the High Seas trip.

I'll price out some RCCL, based on your post.

RCCL is not coming up with the same low pricetag. Norweigan $1600 all in for inside stateroom for 4 of us for a week to Western Car. $50 stateroom credit. Free drink package.

What did you hate?
Disney and RC have great service. NCL has... "service". A lot of the employees didn't even smile. The food wasn't in the same ballpark. On multiple occasions we got stale bread at dinner. They also have a lot of pre-made low quality foods.

If anything goes wrong, expect less than nothing. They have miserable customer service. On Carnival and NCL you are guilty until proven otherwise.

The entertainment was okay.

The ships were meh. We went on the Jewel and the Pearl and both were uninspired and frumpy.

Most of the time it felt like NCL was disorganized. It seemed like you were always waiting.

If you are going budget, Carnival has better food and slightly better service. At least they used to. We stopped cruising them about ten years ago. We stopped NCL shortly after. The most bang for your buck right now tends to be RC. It's really hard to put a price tag on service, but poor service will ruin your vacation in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your sharing your experiences. I'm still shopping and will take your thoughts into consideration. Anyone with thoughts on the kids club ability to keep kids wanting to come back for more?

Thanks for your sharing your experiences. I'm still shopping and will take your thoughts into consideration. Anyone with thoughts on the kids club ability to keep kids wanting to come back for more?
RC has a good kids club program. It's not as good as Disney, but it's still good. Carnivals isn't bad.

NCL is about on par with Carnival. Your kids would be in what they call "Splash Academy". They break that down even further. Both of your kids would be "Seals" (6-9) I only saw the area and one thing I noticed right away is that it's totally enclosed (at least on the Pearl and Jewel). They have no windows.

Depending on your kids they might really like it. NCL has the rights to Nickelodeon so they'll do all sorts of Sponge Bob and Dora themed stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter