Not a big deal to some I'm sure but...

Michelle Carter

Disney Mama of 4
I am taking my 14 year old transgender son to Disney World in September for his 15th birthday. He is super excited bc we got our stuff in the mail and it all says MISTER Kyle Carter instead of MISS Mikayla Carter. His face lit up and he was so happy bc it's his first time at Disney AS KYLE instead of his dead name. We've been 5 other times but it was before he was out publicly. It just felt good and I wanted to brag :) Do you know if they have LGBTQ in the free celebration buttons??? LOL

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to Kyle! My oldest daughter who is now 6.5 is transgender and Disney World was the first place she went as a girl (when she was 4). We have gone many times since, but that trip remains very special and a great memory for the whole family...

And just a note, if Kyle or anyone else in your group wants one of the hats, I would order it now. They had a different baseball cap last year, and they sold out on line prior to gay days, and also sold completely out of Rainbow Mickey Ears. Since your going in September, and some GayDay events have shifted to August, they may not get items back in stock prior to your trip.

And just a note, if Kyle or anyone else in your group wants one of the hats, I would order it now. They had a different baseball cap last year, and they sold out on line prior to gay days, and also sold completely out of Rainbow Mickey Ears. Since your going in September, and some GayDay events have shifted to August, they may not get items back in stock prior to your trip.

Thank you! Very helpful info. We make our own Mickey ears, so I was considering just making him some rainbow ones if I can find the correct stripe pattern fabric. But I will have to look to see what rainbow merch they have available. Hopefully WDW will see just how popular it is and start having more on hand.

Thank you! Very helpful info. We make our own Mickey ears, so I was considering just making him some rainbow ones if I can find the correct stripe pattern fabric. But I will have to look to see what rainbow merch they have available. Hopefully WDW will see just how popular it is and start having more on hand.

Here are the ears that are available in the parks for $20. You can't order them online, according to the app, they are a store item only.

rainbow%20ears.png

Here are the ears that are available in the parks for $20. You can't order them online, according to the app, they are a store item only.

rainbow%20ears.png

Oh wow! Those are cool. Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes peeled while we are there!!

Enjoy your trip. Can you post how your trip goes? My daughter is transgender as well although she came out after our last visit so I have no experience. Enjoy your celebration with Kyle.

I am taking my 14 year old transgender son to Disney World in September for his 15th birthday. He is super excited bc we got our stuff in the mail and it all says MISTER Kyle Carter instead of MISS Mikayla Carter. His face lit up and he was so happy bc it's his first time at Disney AS KYLE instead of his dead name. We've been 5 other times but it was before he was out publicly. It just felt good and I wanted to brag :) Do you know if they have LGBTQ in the free celebration buttons??? LOL

You and Kyle have an amazing trip! :-):-):-)

They don't have any lgbt buttons mostly to keep things neutral between people. They do have merchandise with rainbows on them, they are not advertised as lgbt, again for the sake of being neutral.

They don't have any lgbt buttons mostly to keep things neutral between people. They do have merchandise with rainbows on them, they are not advertised as lgbt, again for the sake of being neutral.
Well, that used to be completely true, but if you go to shop disney (the Disney store website, not shop disney parks) and use the search term "pride" all the rainbow stuff pops up, along with Lion King stuff. I guess because lions live in a pride. :)

And for the first time, a Disney park officially recognized Gay Day...in Paris. So hold onto your ears, it will likely be headed to all the parks, worldwide, eventually.

Last edited:
came across this thread in the New Posts filter. Im not LBGQT but I know someone who just came out as trans last year. She is in her 40's and had to wait until her parents died to come out as she is from an uber conservative family. To see how happy she is now that she is finding her true self is just amazing, so all you parents with trans kids are just very special people. Like most Trans people, my friend knew from childhood, but had to wait over 40 years to be her true self. You parents with trans kids are giving your kids such an amazing gift and I wish my friend had parents like you :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!