Not a word (peeve thread - what's yours?)

Delish
Yummy - should not be used by adults

Anything with a creative spelling. For some reason those drive me nutz! ;)
I see what you did there.
Pacific instead of specific. Pacific is an ocean!
Interestingly, the common noun version means peaceful. But, "Is there a particular...?" and, " Is there a peaceful ... " do not mean the same things.

Dictionaries are full of these garbage definitions of words. I still count "shame" up there with the misuse of "literally" of "axing" someone something

1200 years of Middle English and Southern US speakers saying "axing" outweighs your opinion.

"Yow loveres axe I now this questioun." - Geoffrey Chaucer, "The Knight's Tale", line 489 (my favorite of the tales, by the way)

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/19/opinion/la-oe-mcwhorter-black-speech-ax-20140119

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...n-saying-ax-instead-ask-1200-years-180949663/

Sequence for sequins. I'm on some prom swaps and I let it pass when the girls use it, but when a professional prom/bridal store does it, I correct them.

Defiantly instead of definitely.

And learn how to use ellipses. "..." should not be used 25 times in two-three short paragraphs.

You are so right. It's so difficult to read anything when it's written that way.

I personally dislike the use of "legit" by adults (since they are mainly who I speak to :hyper2:). A grown women actually told me she couldn't attend a meeting because she "legit can't make it there."

"Utilize" and "Price Point."

Nine times out of ten, "use" would make more sense instead of utilize. And simply saying "price" would work just fine instead of "price point."

In both cases, people are just trying to sound fancy and intelligent. Key word: trying.

Edited to add: HA! I just wrote down a grammar pet peeve and I realize these are not "made up" words. Oops.

Last edited:

I used littles all of the time, dd22 and ds20 were my bigs, dd17, dd15 and dd15 were my littles. It wasn’t to be cute, just easier (although I rarely referred to my 15 years olds as the twins).

I can’t stand preggers or hubby, and dislike dinning (which rhymes with winning).

I know someone who says alsom instead of awesome. I thought I was just misunderstanding her until she texted it. :sad2:

The ones I see frequently on the DIS are: taters (totally cringe-worthy and almost always used by posters that are obviously too intelligent to not know the word potato) and b/c, which I presume by the context is supposed to mean because. :sad2:

I only use "littles" in one context: sports coaching. This is because the children prefer it to their sport's technical term for under-6 athletes, which is Tots. They HATE being called Tots. DS is a skater, and it is common for teen skaters to gain some work experience helping to coach "the littles."

"Shaming" however, is a completely legitimate word that has existed for centuries. Didn't you read The Scarlet Letter? Being required to wear that "A" was an act of public shaming. Hester Prynne was not being made fun of or mocked, she was being shamed. Having to stand in the public stocks was the same sort of punishment, as is having your face plastered all over the web under the title "Pedophile" or "Batterer." The purpose of public shaming is not merely to make the person being punished feel bad, such as mocking might. The purpose of public shaming is to make that person a pariah; to force them out of society and to make a public example of them so as to dissuade other people from committing the same sins or crimes. Unlike simply being made fun of, public shaming is deadly serious, and it swiftly ruins lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!