Not a word (peeve thread - what's yours?)

There are so many...
Prolly, invite (as a noun), any of the "-ie" group, shortening "husband"
It really annoys me when people use "whom" and then improperly use the prepositions in the same sentence, usually using "of" or "with" twice, as in "with whom we are going with," for example.
Jelly, vacay, literally, adulting
There are more, but I have to go to work now!

"Adulting", or use of the word "adult" in any other form other than a noun.

I'm surprised that this thread made it three pages before someone mentioned 'adulting' - my pet peeve word these days.

And no offense to the OP, but I've never been a fan of using a period after every word in a sentence as an attempt to emphasize a point. It just seems unnecessary to me.

( Been gone for awhile, nice to be back)

Feels
adulting
legit
shipping(in reference to trying to get friends into a relationship)

K.....I don't know why it bothers me, but seriously how much time are you saving by typing that instead of OK?

One that makes me shake my head every time I see in on the Facebook yardsale page - chester drawers (chest of drawers). Again, I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.

shipping(in reference to trying to get friends into a relationship)

"Shipping", and "ship", in reference to rooting for a relationship, has been a term in fandoms since at least the Star Trek fanzine days. I've been using it since the early 90's

images

You're allowed not to like it, of course. But it's not particularly new.

"Shipping", and "ship", in reference to rooting for a relationship, has been a term in fandoms since at least the Star Trek fanzine days. I've been using it since the early 90's

Fandom is a kind of out-there place, though. There are a lot of "terms" in fandoms that are not truly words, and that probably includes the very word "fandom". (Gafiate, anyone?) I think these things fall into the category of jargon, the use of which really should be limited to conversations within members of interest groups.

Using 'shipping in a Dr. Who forum makes sense, but not so much on a Disney forum, unless you really want Belle to end up with Gaston. ;)

BTW, "chester drawers" always puts this unfortunate image into my head:
images
(That would be a young Dennis Weaver as Chester Goode in Gunsmoke -- in his underdrawers.)

Last edited:
I'm guilty of some of these, as I speak with a South Philly heavy working-class accent-and it gets even heavier when I'm in the old neighborhood. So I say probly, ditten, liberry, etc. The one that would probably be the most annoying to others not acquainted with the Philadelphia accent and usage is that I say "tret" instead of 'stepped,' as in "Careful, you might tret on a rock." It's a form of dialect I think, not laziness. :chat:

images

You're allowed not to like it, of course. But it's not particularly new.
That explains why its new to me :) My dd has used the term( and doesn't really like it either, she has been shipped in real life) and she is a big fangirl :) If I'm using that term correctly :)

Defiantly instead of definitely.

People who list items for sale on FB and use "I'm saling this item." No, you're selling it.

Anywho. For some reason, this drives me absolutely crazy.

I'm fine with legit and literally if they are being used correctly, but they never are.

Like many have already posited, all the "ie/ey/y" words get on my nerves. It's dumb, but ressie, and hubby are annoying. I suppose we are all annoying in some or many ways though, so there's that. But don't ask me what ressie hubby and I have for Saturday.

Dictionaries are full of these garbage definitions of words. I still count "shame" up there with the misuse of "literally" of "axing" someone something. You can find it somewhere in a dictionary but that doesn't make it any less stupid sounding.

"axing" is not used to be cutesy, it's a cultural thing. It is all over the place in so. LA.

Very few of the words mentioned bother me - what does bother/upset me is when people think using vulgar/curse words in their conversations think it makes them look/be cool.

Last edited:
More of a mispronunciation but mischievous is miss-chuv-us not miss-cheve-ee-us.

Reese's (Pieces or Peanut Butter Cups)... some people pronounce this name as "rees-eez".

I mean, the person who started the company had the last name Reese. It's pronounced "Ree-ziz." Of or belonging to Reese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter