Not enough pool chairs?

Agree with the two PPs. We're from Texas and can't imagine flying all the way to Hawaii & not exploring the island we're on.

But I'm aware that there is a long history of mainland Americans flying to Hawaii & not exploring. A lot of people who go to Oahu never leave Waikiki. A lot of people who go to Maui spend their whole trip around Lahaina. And it's been that way for decades. In the past, before Internet & more people traveling, it used to be even more that way.

A lot of people saw and still see Hawaii as a place to go and just hang out at a resort/nearby beach, not a place to explore natural wonders or absorb the culture. Nothing wrong with that, but for me it's just too far to go and too gorgeous a place for that kind of vacation. We go to Florida or on a cruise for that kind of vacation.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people report over the years that when Disney was building Aulani, they never conceived of it as a destination in and of itself. That is to say, they didn't plan that people would travel all the way to Hawaii just to sit around a resort pool area--hence the reason for underestimating the number of chairs needed.
Nonetheless they created an inviting environment that people love.

Apologies if I'm repeating, but its been said that Aulani was designed with the thought in mind that tourists would use the resort as a home base while touring Hawaii. Instead, Aulani has become the destination itself for many people, where people stay at the resort without leaving. This was apparently underestimated during the planning process, and the result has been a lack of pool chairs, limited capacity at Aunty's, lack of activities in the evening, etc etc.

We were there in mid-late September around the time they started the folding the towel method of policing the unused pool chairs. Being familiar with the pool chair game from other resorts and cruise ships, I reserved the upper veranda by Ama Ama for our three resort days. After sitting there for about an hour on our first day, we hated it. It was mostly shaded, off the beaten path, and isolated. Not a close walk to the restroom or dining, and we were on the very edge of the resort. Would be nice if you want total peace and quiet and to feel alone, but we frankly didn't like it. They canceled our remaining days there, and moved us to a beach casabella that first day, which we also didn't care for. The awning did not shade us enough from the afternoon sun, so we felt forced to leave it around 3-4pm. Beach waiter service was SLOW and we weren't given any extra attention even though we paid for a casabella. In our experience, beach chair and umbrella availability was ample. In retrospect, it was silly to pay for the casabella which really only provided us an upgraded cushion.

Our last two days, we came down around 9am and had no trouble getting two loungers in front of Ama Ama. This was our favorite spot. Not busy, and pool chairs were available there almost all day. It faced the beach so we had a nice view, and it was close enough to the beach or the pool where we could walk to either. This would not be ideal for someone with young kids because you can't keep an eye on them from there, but a good option otherwise. We also thought the beach was close enough where you could walk up to the pool, so we decided beach chairs would be our backup plan. But it was never a problem to get chairs near Ama Ama.

We went early to mid April and the chair situation was really bad but if you are up early and have someone sit at the chairs you want and then other go get the towels , you will be fine. You snooze you lose.

Mid sept was better.

The chairs in front of ama ama are nice but don’t have umbrellas and the deck gets VERY hot to walk on barefoot so you will need your shoes to walk to the pool.

The chairs in front of ama ama are nice but don’t have umbrellas and the deck gets VERY hot to walk on barefoot so you will need your shoes to walk to the pool.
The chairs in front of Ama Ama had umbrellas when we were there. Almost every other chair in fact. Definitely could have changed since then, but that would surprise me.

I’ve run into this at other resorts and as far as I’m concerned leaving a resort towel on a chair doesn’t save it. If there are no other chairs I have no problem taking those.

A pair of flip flops, a book, or any personal item that indicates someone is actually nearby is the only way to save a chair (for when your swimming, or the rest room or getting a snack etc). Or one person is there and saves chairs for others coming soon is fair within reason.

A simple towel doesn’t cut it. And what if someone shows up after you take “their” chair? What are they going to say? My towel was there? You mean this one? The one that looks like every single towel at the resort? Good luck making that argument.

I’ve run into this at other resorts and as far as I’m concerned leaving a resort towel on a chair doesn’t save it. If there are no other chairs I have no problem taking those.

A pair of flip flops, a book, or any personal item that indicates someone is actually nearby is the only way to save a chair (for when your swimming, or the rest room or getting a snack etc). Or one person is there and saves chairs for others coming soon is fair within reason.

A simple towel doesn’t cut it. And what if someone shows up after you take “their” chair? What are they going to say? My towel was there? You mean this one? The one that looks like every single towel at the resort? Good luck making that argument.
Can you bring your own personal beach towel to the pool?

Can you bring your own personal beach towel to the pool?
You could, but it would be one more thing to pack and take up space in your luggage. We definitely did not have room for that.

The resort's policy (assuming its still in effect) is that if your chair hasn't been touched within an hour, they fold your towel on the back of the chair. If they come by again and the folded towel hasn't been moved, they will remove the towel and any personal belongings to free up the chair. Personal items will be stored at the towel station and then sent to lost & found if not claimed. I can't speak to how close to an hour they actually do this, but I know it was new when we were there and we did see CMs walking around with clipboards to monitor it. I would have to imagine that when Aulani re-opens, attendance will be low and they won't have the staff to spare to keep an eye on this, and would think it would be low priority.

was there in dec for 2 weeks and while sitting on the beach many people had no bracelets and we would over hear that they need to get back to there hotels soon or how nice that hotel was compared to theirs no one enforced the rules of beach chairs being for guests only which also added to the problem on the beach.

guests pay a lot of money to stay there and enjoy the perks so Disney should have security willing to enforce the rules

was there in dec for 2 weeks and while sitting on the beach many people had no bracelets and we would over hear that they need to get back to there hotels soon or how nice that hotel was compared to theirs no one enforced the rules of beach chairs being for guests only which also added to the problem on the beach.

We went during the end of May/beginning of June a couple of years ago and they were very diligent about checking wrist bands. They were even telling people, that were using the chairs on the beach, that they needed a wristband. We saw them tell several people from other hotels that they could not use the pool. Frankly, I don't know what is wrong with people. Idk how someone can go, with no shame, and just use the pool at a hotel where they are not staying.

My Wife, teenaged Daughter and I stayed at Aulani a few years ago over Easter.

After being shut out on chairs the first few days, I ended up just going to the fitness centre for an early workout every day (5-6) and then staking my claim to three loungers around 6 (even though the pools didn’t open until 8 (9?).

I was getting up much, much earlier than I would have wanted to on vacation, but I just ended up putting on podcasts and snoozing on the lounger for a few hours until my family came down around 8:30/9.

I felt bad about being one of ‘those people’, but with our pale wintertime Canadian skin, we would have fried had I not staked our claim to umbrellas.

After being shut out on chairs the first few days, I ended up just going to the fitness centre for an early workout every day (5-6) and then staking my claim to three loungers around 6 (even though the pools didn’t open until 8 (9?).

I was getting up much, much earlier than I would have wanted to on vacation, but I just ended up putting on podcasts and snoozing on the lounger for a few hours until my family came down around 8:30/9.

I felt bad about being one of ‘those people’, but with our pale wintertime Canadian skin, we would have fried had I not staked our claim to umbrellas.
I dont think you’re “those people” if you’re in the lounger.... Even just one of you! Those people save it with a flip flop.

I hear ya, natural red head here and I am the color of a corpse. I might actually get in the tanning bed a bit before this trip. And I rarely ever do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter