Not knowing is so stressful: My mom might be sick...

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
She went to her Dr with some digestive troubles.
They did one test and saw nothing wrong with her digestive system but did notice something abnormal so followed up with another test and discovered she had an enlarged lymph node next to her kidney.
They did a biopsy and the initial report just said there were "atypical cells" so he wanted her to follow up with a Hematologist.
She was given an appointment for this Wednesday.
Her Dr had also said he'd call her with the final report so she'd know what she was walking into on Wednesday.
He had not called so she called the office and he's out of town for weeks!
So basically for 5 days we have all been stressing and the closer this appointment comes the worse it is getting for us because we fear the unknown.
She wanted to be prepared and not have it sprung on her at this appointment that she has something like lymphoma.
She has been talking about every day life in terms of "if I'm sick..."
We just can't stop thinking about it.
Sorry this really was not a question or anything more just a I need to let the stress out somewhere.

Last edited:
Aw, I'm sorry. I hope that it isn't anything major. No matter what, I think the waiting is always the hardest; hopefully getting answers today will help.
Pretty awful of the doctor to say he'd call then go out of town (unless that was for an emergency)--that must be adding to the frustration for sure.

Who is she? A firend? mother? child?

:hug:

Aw, I'm sorry. I hope that it isn't anything major. No matter what, I think the waiting is always the hardest; hopefully getting answers today will help.
Pretty awful of the doctor to say he'd call then go out of town (unless that was for an emergency)--that must be adding to the frustration for sure.

Who is she? A firend? mother? child?

:hug:

Sorry my title apparently went missing. I'll try to fix it.
Its my mom.

I'm sorry. Must be very hard to worry about her and be her support while she herself is so stressed and concerned. Sending all the best for her today.

Thank you.
I'll report back when I know something.
We're hoping that its less serious then where our minds have been going.

Thank you.
I'll report back when I know something.
We're hoping that its less serious then where our minds have been going.
thanks---I WILL wonder and worry now. And i am just waking up enough to realize it is still Tuesday night for most posters---you are probably up late and worrying. I hope you can get some sleep. Are you able to go with her tomorrow?

Hey take a deep breath. I know it's hard not to worry over the unknown but try to calm down. If it was terrible I think he may have made more of an effort to get in touch. You can't control whatever the outcome is but you can control your reaction to it. I bet you are a strong woman and so is your mom! You ladies must be close based on your post and your obvious care for your mom. I was a care giver for my mom for five years. After time you just take a deep breath and look at each day with a fresh set of eyes. Each time my mind would wander To the what if's I would refocus on how much I loved her and take the opportunity to make a new memory. I thought I would have one year with her and I had five. What a blessing!! This is not doomsday, you ladies keep positive and I will be thinking and praying for you both until we hear back!Hugs!

thanks---I WILL wonder and worry now. And i am just waking up enough to realize it is still Tuesday night for most posters---you are probably up late and worrying. I hope you can get some sleep. Are you able to go with her tomorrow?

Well actually its only Monday night/Tuesday morning haha but I just thought you had a typo at first.
My dad and older sister will be goin with her on Wednesday.
I watch a family friend's child a couple days a week and this week its Wednesday and Thursday so I'll be unable to go.
At least with my sister going I'll get the news told to me straight where as my parents would probably hesitate to say how bad it is.

That was pretty much us last November. Mom had a minor stroke, and I mean minor. (no noticeable damage from it, only reason we knew it even happened was that her arm started going numb at the time) But they wanted to keep her in the hospital until they figured out the source. Took blood and said it could be anything from an infectious disease to cancer. Wednesday (about 3 days later) she got the diagnosis of Primary CNS Lymphoma. But the waiting was the most stressful part of it. She's doing okay now at least (treatment's done, she's now in the long process of recovering from a BMT). Hope for the best for your Mom. :hug:

Hey take a deep breath. I know it's hard not to worry over the unknown but try to calm down. If it was terrible I think he may have made more of an effort to get in touch. You can't control whatever the outcome is but you can control your reaction to it. I bet you are a strong woman and so is your mom! You ladies must be close based on your post and your obvious care for your mom. I was a care giver for my mom for five years. After time you just take a deep breath and look at each day with a fresh set of eyes. Each time my mind would wander To the what if's I would refocus on how much I loved her and take the opportunity to make a new memory. I thought I would have one year with her and I had five. What a blessing!! This is not doomsday, you ladies keep positive and I will be thinking and praying for you both until we hear back!Hugs!

Thank you.
Yes we are about as close as you could imagine.

Well actually its only Monday night/Tuesday morning haha but I just thought you had a typo at first.
My dad and older sister will be goin with her on Wednesday.
I watch a family friend's child a couple days a week and this week its Wednesday and Thursday so I'll be unable to go.
At least with my sister going I'll get the news told to me straight where as my parents would probably hesitate to say how bad it is.
Gah! This is what happens when I post before I drink my Coke. I swaer it felt like it must already be Wednesday. OK, so you have to get through yet another day first----I hoep you got some sleep eventually. I'm glad your Dad and sister can go with your mom tomorrow. Maybe you can go to lunch or somehitng with your mom today, help keep her mind off of it?

When my mom went to her primary with a lump on her side, she was sent immediately to have an ultrasound that day. She was scheduled for a CT scan the next morning. She ended up being diagnosed with cancer, and besides the long wait after the biopsy, they were quick to schedule her.

My point is, the fact that she wasn't rushed back in makes it less likely it's something super serious, at least I hope so, for your sake. My mom was my best friend, I saw her every day and we spoke on the phone several times a day. She passes four months after her appointment, a couple of days before her 70th birthday. I pray you have many more years with your mom.

It is so difficult waiting and not knowing :grouphug:. My thoughts are with your family. It is definitely good that someone is going who will give you all the information. My mom went through her cancer diagnosis, and most of her treatments without ever telling us, and I certainly don't think it made it easier for us.

I've been through some rough stuff with my mom, ovarian cancer, and it is so stressful. She was with me through all of my brain injury stuff. The only thing you can do is be there for her, which it sounds like you're doing admirably. I'll be thinking and hoping for the best for you all.

When my mom went to her primary with a lump on her side, she was sent immediately to have an ultrasound that day. She was scheduled for a CT scan the next morning. She ended up being diagnosed with cancer, and besides the long wait after the biopsy, they were quick to schedule her.

My point is, the fact that she wasn't rushed back in makes it less likely it's something super serious, at least I hope so, for your sake. My mom was my best friend, I saw her every day and we spoke on the phone several times a day. She passes four months after her appointment, a couple of days before her 70th birthday. I pray you have many more years with your mom.

My grandpa died of Non Hodgkin Lymphoma back in January 1998. He had a large lump on his side and one Dr said "its just fat". He went to another who diagnosed him and 3 weeks later he was gone. So no matter what it is I'm very glad it was caught relatively early for my mom.
BTW my mom just turned 70 a couple months ago. I'm not ready for her to go anywhere for a long time.

I hope you get good news and understand how hard the uncertainty is. It's impossible not to worry but hope everything works out for her.

OP back with an update... or lack there of really.

It's so frustrating because we know no more after the appointment than we did before it.
The biopsy said atypical cells but they couldn't figure out what it is.
She had blood work done today to see if it is autoimmune related.
She will also have a CT done to see if anymore lymph nodes are enlarged. If they are then they will remove a whole one and hopefully that shows the problem.
If not? I don't know and I don't think the Dr does either.

Thanks for the update. Did they at least rule some things out, like blood cancer?

Big virtual hugs to you and your mom. Not knowing is hard

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter