Not So Teeny Tiny TR for a Teeny Tiny Trip Feb '16

tzeitel

Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda
I am pretty bad at writing TRs. I take the photos, and save receipts (to keep track of purchases and time line), and then I flake. For example - we went in Oct for a few days. Did the Halloween party (DD, DH and I went dressed as Kiki's Delivery Service), had dinner at the BTR BBQ for the first and (sadly) last time, watched all the parades, nighttime shows, and fireworks. Did some of the smaller things not usually mentioned in TR (I hit all the fortune machines - Ned, Red headed pirate, Esmeralda, plus the magic lamp), got a Jungle Cruise map after some banter with a skipper etc. One day we went to Hollywood. Had lunch at the farmer's market, toured the Tar Pits, and watched Nightmare Before Christmas 4D at the El Capitan theater. Great trip (I even Disbounded as Oswald), tons of photos (we had PP)...yep, you guessed it - no trip report.

75a9e099-ea09-40d7-9d88-07d3bc035a45_zps6eagr5mp.jpg

For some reason I felt we did not do everything in that trip (DH might disagree) so I thought - why not take DD for a couple of days during her mid-winter break. Mid-winter break you ask? yeah, it feels like she barely goes to school. They have a week off pretty much every month! Things at work have been pretty slow I have been getting 3 days off during the week (Tue/Wed/Thurs). It was perfect Disney storm, ok not so perfect since DH had to work. But it was ok as it would be our first girls only trip :)

Last edited:
With a month to go I had to hustle to get everything lined up - yeah I plan everything six months in advance (WDW vacations I plan a year out!).

First thing was finding a hotel. Since it was just us girls I wanted something super close to the park entrance and modestly priced. We have stayed at HoJo and this past Oct we stayed at Desert Inn & Suites. Would have loved the DI&S but it was $159 a night, the HoJo I like but wanted something closer. I found the Ramada Maingate (or what was soon to be known as The Grand Legacy at the Park) for $211 total (2 nights). I knew it was under construction since I noticed it when we went in Oct but it was just the front that would be affected and fellow Dis'ers had recently stayed there and said it was fine. Still I like to keep looking for a better deal and I found the Tropicana for $219 total (yeah, I know it is not cheaper, but it is closer ;)).

Then I had to find the flights. Love SW. Seriously, love it. DD and I had enough miles for 1 way tickets (had to pay $5.90 each for fees). The return tickets I got by using gift cards I earned from doing reward sites (each was $99). Found a flight arriving at SNA at 10:10AM. We would leave on the 25th at 3:25PM.

For transportation I researched several options. Uber (found a coupon for first time users), shuttles, taxi etc. DH would not hear of us using Uber since he had just heard on the radio about a driver murdering people in between rides (yikes!). Taxis were just too expensive. I figured a shuttle would be fine but was worried it would take forever if they had several stops to make. After comparing prices and looking at reviews I went with snashuttle.com. They are a few independent shuttle companies that got together. It was $10 pp, each way plus tip so I booked it. You have to book online and confirm the day before, although they will call you to confirm if you don't.

Disney tickets was actually the hardest thing to figure out. Was debating whether to do 2 or 3 days (I know I should have gotten an Annual Pass in Oct!!!!!). Plan was DCA on arrival day, DL on full day, and on departure day go to DtD and have lunch at RFC (with gift cards from reward sites). But, then I saw that DL has MM on Thursday so the park would open at 8AM, giving us 4 hours in the park before we would have to leave to get ready for the shuttle. Yeah, we got the 3 day ticket.
Got them from LMTClub.com which had the best deal $448.68 for 2 3 day tix. Bought them on the 18th and had them by the 19th. Received an immediate confirmation but the actual email with the tickets came the next day.

For food I usually budget $50 pp/pd (DD is usually less but I like to pad the budget JIC). I thought about doing the Aladdin's Oasis PTN package ($22 per person) but then decided against it since there were soooo many things to eat that we wanted to try. For souvenirs I budgeted $100. I kinda went overboard in Oct, what with the 60th stuff and some Halloween things. Plus we were traveling with just one 21" carry-on, DD had her backpack and I had a tote, so souvenirs had to be small.

Last edited:
Made it to the airport with plenty of time and I KNEW it was going to be a good day. Of course going to DLR is always a good day but even at the airport I knew. There was a Jamba Juice next to our gate! I had a gift card from years ago that I had not used up, still had $36 :). DD got a bottle of water and I got a Strawberry Whirl, which DD then decided she liked better than her water so I got stuck with water. Then the SW agents go on the speaker to say that there are 60 empty seats on our flight so if you don't like who you're flying with you don't have to sit next to each other :teeth:. If you looked down the aisle you could see every row had an empty middle seat! The cherry on top? We landed 20 minutes early. And it was not one of those times when you land 15-20 minutes early but then sit there and by the time you actually exit the plane it is actually the original landing time. We exited the plane 20 minutes early.

DD and I were on the 3rd row and we had our bags with us so no wasting time waiting for luggage. We booked it out of there and went to find our shuttle. It was super easy (the confirmation email has directions). You go past the luggage claim, after terminal B in section 5 (basically go out of the baggage claim and keep walking to the left). There is a crosswalk with 3 sections, one is just traffic, the second is hotel shuttles and the third is all the other shuttles. I went to the third section and immediately saw the guy I was looking for - how could I miss him he had a bright orange polo shirt. The shuttle drivers will ask everyone they see coming their way what you are looking for - so many people were in the wrong spot, they were all looking for rental cars. Our driver was there already and he asked me if we could wait 10 minutes for a missing passenger (you do not pre-pay so I am guessing they get a ton of no-shows). No problem, DD and I had time to chang from our stuffy sneakers into our well ventilated sandals. We left at the 10 minute mark and the drive took 15 minutes, I timed it. The driver did not speed or anything like that, there was just no traffic and we went on the carpool lane. The shuttle was a super nice (and clean) mini van. We made it to the Tropicana by 10:30.

Since we got there pretty early our room was not ready but they did store our bags. So I opened our suitcase, grabbed my park bag and a couple of little things plus DD's iPad and off we went. the Tropicana has a pretty nice lobby and the luggage room looks secure. Only the agents go in and they give you stubs for your bags.

Went through security and I got picked for a second screening. Got this twice this trip...I guess I have a shifty look about me :upsidedow But we went through the DCA gates by 10:50AM. Not bad since the park opened at 10AM. Oswald was not there or I would have taken another photo with him although the ones from Oct came out awesome (I wore a blue Oswald shirt and black pants, Oswald and his handler were so excited I Disneybounded as Oswald). Stopped by GS to get DD's DAC - pretty long line of people who all wanted buttons - and got a return time for RSR.

Our first ride was Little Mermaid, I steered DD that way since I was hoping to have lunch at The Cove Bar. Never been and had heard so many great things about it I wanted to try it. of course I had also heard about the long wait I was not really counting on it. DD has autism and she has problems understanding why we do certain things - why wait for food when we only rode LM once and the carousel is also close by and hey, there is TSM. But we rode LM and went towards Cove Bar...and what do I see? CMs just standing around and like 5-6 tables occupied. It was 11:30AM (so 12:30 our time) so perfect lunch time for us. The bar area was pretty full but there were plenty of tables. The seater tried to put us in a tall table in the middle of the room but I was like, no. I need a waterside table please. We sat next to the bar and had -

and this was the view -

Our server was super nice, the food was good and hot (watch that bowl, it was right out of the oven!). DD and I split the lobster nachos, she had a milk, I had a soda. Total was $22.11 plus tip

We went to Carsland and RSR had a wait time of 50 minutes and there were still FPs available. Mater had a 15 min wait and DD loves that ride so off we went to get whiplash. Then we went to RSR and used DD's return time. We passedthe FP machines and there were still FP available (last of the day) for 7PM so I grabbed some. This was 1PM so not bad.
After that we went to Monster's Inc. Was sad to see Aladdin gone. Meant to do Animation Academy but did not get around to it (I already started a list of must-do things to do on next trip). We hit Bug's Land - did all the rides and watched the extended preview of Zootopia. I wanted a soda so we went to Starbucks, I mean Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe. Another gift card from my reward sites - you can also find discounted Starbucks card for a pretty good deal. While there I saw these and had to have them -

They were each $12.95. They are espresso sized cups and look like they could be used for coffee or as ornaments. Meant to get the DL version but it was always crowded in there. In Oct I got my mom the big sized celebration one, the little one is just like it and comes in a nice box like the big one. After these two, water, soda and a Mickey cookie the total was $39.06. Leaving me $7.21 in my GC.

DD just happened to notice that next door was Clarabelle's. Of course she had to have one -

It was a milk chocolate bar covered in milk chocolate, with red and white hearts. Yes, DD is wearing a Mike Wazowski dress (got it on Amazon if anyone is looking for it). She got so many compliments on it from CMs and guests!

Last edited:
After refreshments we headed to the boardwalk - there is a GS podium across from FF&PC so I asked for a return time to TSMM. Again on LM (we did that ride 4 times in 1 day). DD loves carousels so of course we had to go on King Triton's carousel. TSMM had a 35 min wait but we used DD's pass. Then we went on The Golden Zephyr - another of DD's favorites. Right next to GZ there is a lemonade stand - this was the only place I saw the 60th DCA travel mugs ($8.75 with frozen lemonade or hot chocolate) - I did not find it in Oct so I was very happy to find it. My favorite souvenirs are the travel mugs!

By this time the parade was starting soon, DD loves to dance as the parades go by. I actually wanted to watch the lights come on in Carsland - another thing I missed in Oct. Sunset was 5:42, parade was set to start 5:15pm. See where I am going? I wanted to get as close to Carsland as possible and maybe we would make it. Most of the route was pretty empty - except for the entrance to Carsland :( we found a great spot across the "street" from WTC. No one even near us - so DD went to town dancing as the parade went by. When Lightning came by I grabbed DD and made our way to Carsland, where I missed it. I still got to listen to Sh-Boom (Life Could be a Dream) so knew we had almost made it - maybe next time!

We went on Mater again (10 min wait) and then had Cones for dinner. I had the chili cone queso and DD had the mac 'n cheese cone. With a water and a soda the total came to $23.50. I love this area but it is a pain to find a spot. A whole picnic table for 3 people (they all sat on the same side and spread out) who did not even have anything to eat. Then other people who do not bother to clean their own mess (sorry, I work in a cafe and it drives me bonkers how messy some people are and then they don't even pretend to try to clean up after themselves). I saw a messy table with 3 guys sitting there I asked if we could sit at the end and they said they were not sure if they were done. Some of their group where in the bathrooms - valid, but all they had on the table were empty food containers and dirty napkins.

While there Red was the character in the station. When he had to leave it was pretty hairy. People would not move out of the way, and Red is a pretty big truck.

After dinner we went on RSR again and got a couple of souvenirs at the RS Curios (total $17.22) -

And on the way out DD grabbed an Oswald and a glitter ball (total $24.73). By then it was 8PM. We were not going to watch WOC (saw it in Oct and had an unbeatable spot) and we had been up since 5AM so, while DD is like the Energizer bunny and can keep going (she wanted to hit Bug's Land again), I was done. We headed back to the hotel (was tempted to go to DtD but that would just mean spending more money). Grabbed our bags from the luggage room and found our room.

Typical room size and amenities. Liked it fine, only thing was that our room was pretty far back.

Last edited:
Wednesday was our full day at DL. Park opened at 10AM, but we usually get up by 7AM at home (which would make it 6AM in CA). We were ready to go by 7:30, DD wanted pancakes (iHop was on the way to the crosswalk) but we went in Oct and spent $50 for 2 stacks of pancakes, juice, coffee and soda - so no thanks. Anyway I had better plans. We headed to DtD. At security we told them where we were going and they let us pass - they were not letting anyone hang out between the parks at this time. We stopped at Jamba Juice and got a Strawberry Whirl ($6.89) and then kept going to Ralph Brennan's.

DD had French Toast Dippers and I got a large order of beignets. With a drink the total came to $18.72 and the beignets alone could have feed the 2 of us but I eat through my eyes. I took half of the beignets back to the room and had them that night as a snack.

We hung around DtD until 9AM when the WoD opened. I had bought a couple of things in Oct that did not quite fit so I wanted to exchange or return them. I had the receipt for one but not for the other so for that one I got a merchandise credit. It looks like a regular Disney card but says "Merchandise credit" and can only be used on merchandise in the parks/hotels. I was fine with that, sure that I would find something to spend it on ;)
It was like 9:10 when we left WoD and headed back to the hotel so I could drop off my beignets. This is what it looked like on our way out -

Last edited:

We came right back to DL and the park was supposed to open in 15 minutes. We spent another 20 minutes in line because so many people had to have their pictures taken or had the wrong ticket or had their tickets buried in their bag (even though they had been in line for over half an hour). It was ok, DD and I knew where we wanted to go (basically wherever DD wanted to go) and as usual our first stop was Star Tours. for years DD did not care about ST. Then, on our trip to WDW last May she got it into her head that she wanted that ride. And we have had to do that ride 3-4 times a day on every trip. After ST we headed to Nemo but it would not open for another 15 minutes. Trying to get away from the Nemo ride w/o riding is nearly impossible since it is her favorite movie. but I managed to get her to go into Tomorrowlanding which has SW stuff. She got a personalized Star Tours name tag (9.95) and an AT-AT 3D model kit (16.99) -

Nemo, Fantasyland (everything except Storybook Canal which always has a huge line), and then we headed to Indy. I got a pass for Indy and when we got there we were able to go right in. And that is where we stopped. The ride went down while we were watching the safety film. We waited for 15 minutes and decided to go to Pirates. Pirates has a 15 minute wait, DD wanted to go right back on it, but I persuaded her to go see the ghosts. HM had a 10 minute wait. I was worried it would be super busy since I had heard the week before had been very crowded. Not the case the days we went, plus the weather was perfect (mid 70's).

Lunch at Rancho Zocalo where I found something else I had missed in Oct.

A kids meal, large water, chicken burrito, bag of chips and the stein came to $37.96.

We did POTC and HM again. Went back to Indy. Did stand-by (just 15 minutes), got to the safety film....and the lights came on. The ride was down again. Waited 10 minutes, was about to walk out again - not easy to explain to DD, she loves Indy and did not understand what was happening - but then the lights went down again and it was all good.

We stopped to see what Ned had to prescribe this time -

We had to "boil one eye of newt, sprinkle on a thick paste of yak fur, spread on saltine crackers, and take twice a day until you get better (or your Yak ran out of fur)". I feel much better now. Stopped by the Pieces of Eight shop and got a HM luggage tag (13.99) and with the merchandise credit I got the Schweitzer Falls shirt.

We went back to the hotel, since it was a little toasty for us (we just came from the snowy mountains of CO). I got a soda at The Cove shop at the Tropicana ($1.95). Took showers, got dressed and went back to DL - seriously took less than 45 minutes.

More rides (mainly ST) until dinner. DD just wanted a burger so I thought we would try the Galactic Grill which has SW themed stuff. DD had a kids cheeseburger and fries. I should have had the same. I got the Jedi Order Chicken Sandwich. I think it was the pickled onion or the wasabi mayo (which tasted like plain mayo to me :crazy2:) but I could not eat it. It was so bad! DH called while we were eating and he was laughing his head off at me describing this sandwich. Ate my fries and thanked my lucky stars I had beignets waiting for me back in the room. Total for the meal (with large drink was $22.86

We went on IASW one more time and then it was time for PtN. We just got off the ride and stood behind a couple of moms with strollers - the moms sat with the kids so we just stood behind the strollers. Perfect view and DD did not smack anyone with her dancing :) The dining package ppl where right across from us and they were packed like sardines.
After PtN we decided to got to Adventureland. DD is iffy with fireworks and has to wear noise reduction headphones (which we had with us JIC). We really tried to go to Adventureland but Disney was against us. We made it to the hub after many detours. At the hub a sweet CM tried to get us across but he was not strong enough! The tide kept us on the right side of the Partners statue. So we (me since DD is non verbal) said "what the heck", we had not seen the 60th fireworks and we had tons of space - seriously, there was no one near us!

It was a bit windy and CM told us they might cancel the fireworks but they went off fine, but I did not see anyone flying. Tink? Dumbo? When the fireworks were done everyone tried to leave at the same time. So DD and I sat on the curb and took some photos of the castle -

After Main St thinned out a little we headed back to the room. Next day was our half day and an early one!

On our departure day we were ready to go a little after 7AM. DL opened at 8AM (MM) and we wanted to be there when it opened. Took our bags to the front desk and stored them in their luggage room. By 7:30 we were standing in line at the gates. Did not take a pic of this line, but it was nowhere near as big as the regular opening one I took the day before, and that one was 1 hour before opening.

I am a WDW vet and have been to DLR 3 times now and I have never made it to a MM before. When I read about ppl doing so much in that one hour I was a little dubious, but since our flight was not until 3:25PM I figured we could squeeze 4 hours in the parks before leaving for the airport. I can now confirm that you can do so much before the park "officially" opens! We went straight to PP and waited maybe 10 minutes in line. Then Dumbo, Mr Toad, Carousel, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice and Tea Cups before 9AM.

DD going on Dumbo by herself for the first time-

After doing all of those rides we headed towards IASW. On the way there I saw a small group gathering by Storybook Land Canals which we have never done. It was 10 minutes to 9AM so I figured this would be our chance to get on this ride without a huge line. By the time they opened the line was getting pretty big, but we did get on the first boat. After SLC we made our way to POTC, Indy and HM. On our way to Tomorrowland we got some "breakfast" -

That was around 10:20, a whip and a float came to $10.24. I keep meaning to get the bowl but did not want to carry it around for the little time we had left. So off to Star Tours and Buzz. At the Star Trader shop we stopped to get DD some Star Tour stuff since she loves it so much.
We got a shirt and some socks (DD loves socks!). I do not have a photo of the socks but they have Princes Leia on them and are very soft. This came to $50.65.

On our way to Nemo we stopped for another DL classic - churros! One churro and a bottle of water = $7.50. By then it was almost noon and while I wanted to do Big Thunder we did not have much time left. So we headed towards Main Street, took some photos and headed back to the hotel to pick up or bags and wait for the shuttle. On our way out we decided to get McD's for lunch so went there and grabbed a couple of cheeseburgers, large fries and a chocolate milk ($6.65). Went to the Tropicana, got our bags and ate on a bench right outside their front desk while we waited for the shuttle. We had just enough time to finish eating when we saw our shuttle pull in.

We used the same service and they called us the night before to confirm our pik up time. Since our flight was at 3:25pm they picked us up at 1PM which was super early considering we made it to the airport by 1:20. So we had 2 hours to kill. We got a couple of snacks and waited for our flight. One thing that still bugs me? Our flight was oversold and they called for 2 ppl to take the later flight, guess there were no takers at first so they kept saying how you'd get tickets to anywhere SW flies and they now have some international flights! I almost got up to take them up on the free tickets but I could not make up my mind fast enough and then they were gone. I still think of those free tickets!

Anyway, that was our teeny tiny trip. We had fun but really wish we had had another full day - maybe next time ;) also, next time DH should be with us since I cannot do spinny rides anymore ...

Loved your report! I've never thought to do a half day on a departure day but I may have to rethink that! Especially since it costs hardly anything to add a 3rd or 4th day and add to that the bonus of MM...definitely worth it!! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for reading my ramblings! We did have a great time, and got so much done in the little time we had. I'm already thinking about doing short trips more often as opposed to one longer trip every couple of years.

Sure sounds like you had a wondeful time...and did so much! Loved reading! Thanks for sharing!

That was fun to read! Looks like you two had a blast!!

Loved your report! I've never thought to do a half day on a departure day but I may have to rethink that! Especially since it costs hardly anything to add a 3rd or 4th day and add to that the bonus of MM...definitely worth it!! Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed reading your report and how you pulled this perfect little trip together last-minute and on a budget to boot! Woot! And dressing up as Kiki's and Oswald? Awesome. I totally understand not putting together TRs; you spent a lot of time taking everything in and then to go back and document it can be considerable work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter