Not sure where to post - Retirement Communities near WDW

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
Love the Dis so felt best starting here.

I'm starting to help my dad figure out where to retire. Unfortunately my mom passed away about 2 years ago and he's in this alone. He'd be moving away from me/grandkids (northeast) and while heartbreaking, he needs warm weather and a community to keep him "going." My family (not him though!) loves all things Disney, so why not explore the WDW area with him, right?? He has a VERY limited budget.

I don't know where to start!

Well, I don't know if you'll find an "affordable" retirement community within a super close distance to Disney. I know they are building a Margaritaville.

My parents just moved to The Villages (about an hour away) several weeks ago. They have visited *many* retirement communities and this one won them over, hands down. Why? The social aspect, which is what it sounds like your father will need. Some retirement communities are smaller and the socialness of them is there, but much more minimal. My parents wanted a lot of support. Clubs, walkability, short drives to stores, actually having stores close by and not a 20 minute drive, and they like that there are frequent (very) charter busses to the MCO airport, Disney, and other places. They know that if their mobility get somewhat limited, there will be other ways to get around.

The community is HUGE with all price ranges. They got a 3-bedroom resale (only 3 years old) at a very affordable price in our perspective. Things can get even cheaper if you want smaller. They have a club for everything and enough residents to keep the clubs active.

I know sometimes The Villages gets a few laughs over the fact that it is HUGE and full of older people, but I can't tell you how many communities my parents went to and they loved this one. She was VERY resistant to even looking at it.

Does he like golf? My parents moved to Solivita in Poinciana (about 40 minutes from Disney) almost a decade ago.

With a very limited budget, Polk County should be a big consideration. Cost of living is far lower than other counties surrounding WDW and is only 45-50 minutes away...even closer if you choose a town located in the eastern part of the county.

wow - those responses came in fast! we are aware of the villages as he has one friend who lives there. most likely it will be out of his budget, but we can explore. his brother lives in leesburg. is that polk county?

If he doesn't like WDW, why suggest he live close to it? There are endless retirement communities all over Florida, maybe pick one not so close to WDW if he's not into it.

If he doesn't like WDW, why suggest he live close to it? There are endless retirement communities all over Florida, maybe pick one not so close to WDW if he's not into it.
b/c he knows his kids/grandkids will love it and that will make him very happy. it's a long shot, but since his brother is in leesburg and one friend is in the villages, it's def an area to consider. he knows southeast florida very very well though since his own parents retired in tamarac and my mom's mom was in century village in deerfield beach (which is where his "first" choice is right now).

wow - those responses came in fast! we are aware of the villages as he has one friend who lives there. most likely it will be out of his budget, but we can explore. his brother lives in leesburg. is that polk county?

1 1/2 hours directly north of Polk County.

around 100K - 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths is a must. i haven't searched beyond century village in deerfield beach, and there are tons of options under that price point. just not sure if that kind of community in that price range is in the general orlando area. thanks!

You might suggest that he look into renting a place before deciding. He may find that he would rather deal with the cold than to not being around family. Otherwise, I suggest he focus on areas where he already knows someone. Having a support system is very important.

I would not like to move my parent that far away with no close support. Yes, he could make friends, but he needs close family, if possible. You did not mention his age, or his health, which would be a big factor at this point. Loneliness for close family, just having lost his wife, could be huge.

around 100K - 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths is a must. i haven't searched beyond century village in deerfield beach, and there are tons of options under that price point. just not sure if that kind of community in that price range is in the general orlando area. thanks!

I spent almost every Christmas until I was about 18-years-old there! And a few Easters.

He may want to look at areas in Lake County since his brother lives in Leesburg. While not a retirement town like The Villages, Mt. Dora is a very lovely town with a lot of retirees. There’s usually something going on around town, with several large festivals happening throughout the year. Nearby Eustis and Tavares are pretty cute too, but Mt. Dora is my favorite. My dad and his wife lived in the area for 8 years and really enjoyed it.

Oh, I did want to point out, don't discount the time frame from Disney. As I mentioned, my parents moved to Poinciana when they retired, but that hour trip to/from Disney definitely impacted how we spent out time. One trip was all it took to realize it wasn't practical to stay at their place and visit WDW.

Also, how old are your kids? Let's be honest, once they're teens, WDW probably won't hold as much appeal as it does when they're younger. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't let proximity to WDW be a selling point unless HE wants to go to it.

My family (not him though!) loves all things Disney, so why not explore the WDW area with him, right??
Well, no, not necessarily right. The most important issue is where will HE be happy: Central Florida? Southern Florida? South Carolina? Arizona? Nevada?

This list https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ommunities-in-america-for-2015-300022954.html is a few years old, but a good jumping off point. I googled "best 55 plus communities united states". Also see what aarp.org has for suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter