Not Welcome

mickeyway

Mouseketeer
I recently went to WL to eat at Roaring forks. I heard that mickey loaded waffles were back and i wanted to try them out. I am an annual passholder and was turned away at the gate. I was told they no longer let anyone park without reservations. Roaring fork does not need or take reservations. I showed my annual pass and was told politely sorry still no. I left and went off base to eat. In order to get the mickey waffles I would have had to park at MK taken the monorail or Ferry to the gate walked down to the bus stop wait for the bus and ride over that way. After eating repeat backwards. I was hungry and disappointed at how long it would have taken so I left went off base and spent my money there. Why is Disney turning away money and how can I get mickey waffles with chocolate chips quicker?

I noticed that WL puts out a sign at their gate house that says "Guests and Dining Reservations only at this time" when their parking lot is nearing capacity. With the Storybook Dining at Artist Point being so popular, and the conversion of a section to DVC (whose members often drive), I expect that they have little excess capacity.

If you want those waffles, you'll have to get there some way other than driving.

Disney has had a policy for many, if not all their resorts, that if you are not staying there, or had ADRs, you can't park there. I have seen this frequently at Boardwalk, Beachclub, the Poly. When we spent a day visiting different resorts, some would let us park there and some wouldn't.
I suspect, some guests may try and park at a resort without staying there to avoid the parking fees at the parks.
Unfortunately, this makes it difficult for those who are trying to follow the rules and just want to visist the resort or eat at a non ADR restaurant.
Not sure there is an easy answer.

I love having Tables in Wonderland for the free valet parking at resort restaurants. They will usually never turn away valet customers. But this won't work for QS locations. That's too bad because the deluxe resorts have a few nice places that don't take ADR's or offer TIW discounts.

Yes, I recall I was staying in a magic kingdom area resort around the time they institute the policy and it was because off-site guests would park at the resort for free and then take the boat (in the case of WL lodge) or monorail (for the monorail resorts) to and from MK to get free parking. It does seem odd they wouldn't have an exception for AP holders like OP since they park for free anyway, but I can see how it is easier just to limit the policy and keep it to hotel and ADR guests.

I recently went to WL to eat at Roaring forks. I heard that mickey loaded waffles were back and i wanted to try them out. I am an annual passholder and was turned away at the gate. I was told they no longer let anyone park without reservations. Roaring fork does not need or take reservations. I showed my annual pass and was told politely sorry still no. I left and went off base to eat. In order to get the mickey waffles I would have had to park at MK taken the monorail or Ferry to the gate walked down to the bus stop wait for the bus and ride over that way. After eating repeat backwards. I was hungry and disappointed at how long it would have taken so I left went off base and spent my money there. Why is Disney turning away money and how can I get mickey waffles with chocolate chips quicker?
Just to clear up your confusion, since you mention being an AP holder, that doesn't give you any rights to park at a resort. Being a paid guest of the resort does, by paying for a room or booking a dining reservation. Unfortunately, that's the only way you get in to park at a resort. Your 2nd best method would be to Ride Share.

OP, we have started to eat offsite more and more because of parking issues. We have wanted to stop into a favorite resort QS meal before/after a visit to the parks and it's a no-go these days without reservations (which, of course, aren't possible). Clearly not trying to circumvent parking fees since we're AP's, too, and we'd be in and out in less than an hour. I hear the parking space argument but have never seen that first hand (esp not mid-day) but I do think the crackdown is to stop people from getting around park parking fees (which I know is a big issue).

It is frustrating, and we've definitely have seen a huge shift in it in the last year, but the upside is that offsite food is usually better and cheaper ;) I'm not a Mickey waffle person so it wouldn't be worth the hassle to get over to them for me but maybe plan to park at T&TC and take Disney transportation the next time you're hitting MK in the morning?

Disney has had a policy for many, if not all their resorts, that if you are not staying there, or had ADRs, you can't park there. I have seen this frequently at Boardwalk, Beachclub, the Poly. When we spent a day visiting different resorts, some would let us park there and some wouldn't.
I suspect, some guests may try and park at a resort without staying there to avoid the parking fees at the parks.
Unfortunately, this makes it difficult for those who are trying to follow the rules and just want to visist the resort or eat at a non ADR restaurant.
Not sure there is an easy answer.
As someone who has driven to BWI and had a very hard time finding a parking spot I'm very glad they do crack down on parking there. It must have become a problem at WL in recent times too, since it's now part of the resorts they've extended the parking restrictions to.
All that said, we still never have any issues with Ride Shares dropping us off. We went up to BWI twice last week, no ADR, no resort stay. Just being dropped off by Ride Share. No questions by the guards

Loaded Mickey-Shaped Waffles
Mickey-shaped Waffles with Strawberry Sauce, Chocolate-Chips, Banana Foster Sauce, Caramel Sauce, Chocolate Syrup and Whipped Cream

i was thinking they were stuffed, but I guess its just lots of toppings.
That's BREAKFAST!?!?!?!?! Blech!
But it seems like something you could have them make up anywhere using various ice cream toppings, no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter