• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Notes from my trip to OKW...

Jecca

DIS Veteran
Just back yesterday after a 16-hour drive home from OKW. We spent our first night in WDW at the All-Stars Sports, a last minute reservation we made as we arrived in Orlando. I was glad to have the room, but also glad it was only for one night. The only way I can describe it is... depressing. It was kinda dark and loud and small. Blah... and no offense to anyone who loves All-Stars; this is my opinion only.

We then moved onto 3 nights at AKL Concierge, and we literally stayed in the resort for all three days. No parks, no Downtown Disney, no nothing. Just lounging at the pool and in the Concierge Lounge. That is a level of pampering that I can definitely get used to.

Finally, we moved onto 5 nights at OKW, our first stay there. Our room wasn't ready for a few hours after we arrived, so we had a lovely lunch at Olivia's and then took a drive to Celebration. Cute town. Anyway, we were in room 4611, a one-bedroom a quick walk to the South Point bus stop. It was lovely, really. Very quiet and I loved the view of the waterway behind the building. Also, huge compared to what we're used to at BWV and BCV. The bus transportation was very good, I thought. We never waited more than maybe 10 or so minutes. However, we did hear some complaints from other guests who had waited more than a half hour for a bus on more than one occassion.

Our room was in good shape, all things considered. There were a few annoyances, though. I use a wheelchair, but always ask for a "normal" room because I prefer not having a roll-in shower. That said, I'm used to a certain level of "Universal Design" that was just not present at OKW. The towel bars were ALL (all 3) out of my reach. Also, some of the doorways - like the ones into and out of the laundry room - were too narrow for my chair to fit through. Although I didn't stay in a specifically wheelchair accessible room, I have to say that these were disappointments to me. I DO expect some Universal Design and I don't think it's too much to ask for. As a completely separate issue, our unit felt very dark at night - like all the light bulbs were 5 watts or something. That's just a preference thing, though. Also, it was incredibly easy for bugs and other creatures to pop into our room. I know it comes with the territory of a door to the outside, but it was irritating. We had a baby lizard come in and it was like a comedy of errors for my dh and I to get him back outside safely. I finally cajoled him onto a sheet of paper and out he went. Meanwhile, he was probably freezing his little lizard butt off...

The parks were great as always. We were very lucky to have dry weather, but it was hot as all get-out. My review of two new attractions: Lights, Motors, Action! - HUGE let-down (not that I was expecting a lot here, but it was just so blah. Plus, stand-by wheelchair seating was abysmal, but that's another story); Soarin' - FABULOUS! What a fun fun fun ride. We waited for it - stand-by - three times, once for 40 min, once for 60 min and once for 90 minutes. Worth it each and every time.

Overall, it was a great trip. We tried new restaurants and loved them all, and really enjoyed the parks. I was very glad to have tried out OKW, and while we really liked it, I think we'll be sticking to BWV and BCV. They're where we feel at home. Good thing we're all set at BWV in November for the F&W Festival!

Enjoyed reading your report - thanks for posting it.

Best wishes -

You waited over 3 hours total for Soarin' :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: I cannot imagine using that much time of my vacation to wait for anything. You do know about FastPass, right?

Next time you need just a one-night stay, try Pop Century. Even though it is a budget resort, I prefer it hands down to the AllStars.

Sounds like overall you had a good trip. And yes it has been really, really hot down there. I know you did appreciate having that washer and dryer. As often as I was changing my clothes, I would have run out of clothes last week without it.

I read in the Orlando Sentinel today that this year has been the hottest, dryest July on record for Orlando.

Tom

we used FPs to get on Soarin but i totally agree with you that it's one attraction that would be worth waiting standby for....
and i also agree about the car stunt show...
well...it was interesting, but the stands were so incredibly hot i don't think it was worth it cooking out there to see it...

we also thought the bus service at OKW was good...though we had a car, we used the buses as well and never had to wait long for anything...

T.E. Yeary said:
I read in the Orlando Sentinel today that this year has been the hottest, dryest July on record for Orlando.

Tom

that makes sense....it was HOT for sure...but we also had several days without any rain at all, which is really weird for july...

Yep, I know about FastPass. It's just that we were never in one place long enough to wait the FastPass out. Didn't feel like trekking all around the park and back. Oh, and the time we waited 90 minutes the fastpasses were gone. Plus, believe me when I tell you that it wasn't SUCH a hardship waiting in the air-conditioned line. Yeah, that ride is probably the only one I'd wait so long for.

My first choice for that one night would have been Pop Century, but it was a last minute reservation and we were lucky to get the room at All Stars. We drove for the first time and were thinking we'd spend the night somewhere in Georgia and get a room wherever, but we ended up driving the whole way so I thought it'd be nice to stay on property somewhere. It was fine for one night, but in the future I'll plan ahead and book Pop Century.

The first time we stayed at OKW(1994), we were in the building next to you and also had the canal running by the the outdoor patio. My younger kids enjoyed waving to the passing boats.
The trouble you had with the doorways was regretful. Do you think that the rooms were constructed in the early 90's had anything to do with it? I don't know, just throwing it out there.
Were you rolling in the car 16 hours or did the whole trip take 16 hours door to door? if so, you made good time and probably avoided hassles around DC. Our mile count is usually around 1,030 miles counting pulling over for gas, eats, stay-awake-coffee, and rest room stops.
Glad you liked OKW, and if me and my spouse-who-loves-the-mouse ever stay at BW or BC DVC (this only will happen when the kids and their SO's are left home), I hope we will like them as much.

Yeah, I do think the fact that the rooms were built so early was a factor, and there are other places around WDW that have less-than-ideal accessibility (ever used a wheelchair accessible (NOT just "handicapped", wheelchair accessible) bathroom in the Beach Club lobby/pool area? I bet not, 'cause there aren't any.). But they do such a good job overall with regard to accessibility that it was sort of disheartening to be so limited at OKW, a hotel that was built a while ago, yes, but still in the era of Universal Design.

Our 16 hour drive included a couple of pit stops. We stopped for a quick lunch and twice for gas and a stretch. There was remarkably little traffic in the DC area, particularly for 7pm on a Friday night, but we did have a heckuva detour in MD as 95 was closed northbound following an accident. Even though it took about 90 minutes to get through all that, it honestly didn't hold us back much. We had been making excellent time up to that point.

I remember staying in one of the rooms in that building that was very dark, too. At 10:00 a.m., the room looked like twilight! Little sunshine, which was very depressing. I enjoy the foliage, but it had become way too overgrown and was not letting any sun in the rooms.

The ADA requirement for dor width is only 32 inches wide, although most doorways in accessible rooms are usually 36 inches. I never measured the doorways of the laundry room at OKW in the regular rooms, but my guess is that they might be only 30 inches, which was a pretty standard door width in the 90s. We can get my DD's wheelchair thru all the doors (including the laundry) at OKW, but she has a rather narrow wheelchair for an adult.
The wheelchair accessible rooms would have all doors of at least 32 inches wide. In the 90s, there wasn't very much thought of Universal design, so I guess I'd be happy if they have wider doorways, but not too surprised if they don't. I would expect wider doorways in places built by the later 90s.l

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter