Nov 2020 or Nov 2021?

happymom2one

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
We are planned for the week before Thanksgiving (Nov 15-Nov 21). I am on the fence with all this craziness for lots of different reasons. I have read that 2021 is going to be a crazy year since it is the 50th anniversary with a few rides opening up. It has been 4 years since last time we visited as it takes us years to save. My question is do you think it would be better to take our chances with it being over crowded this year or just wait and go next November?
 

TarotFox

Mouseketeer
Joined
Feb 8, 2019
It's really impossible to predict what crowds will look like later in the year when we don't even know if there will be crowds... at all. Even if the parks are open, we don't know if they will be open to full capacity or what kind of cuts will need to be done -- a half empty park running with half staff is going to feel just as busy as a full park running with full staff. Personally, I would favor going later if I were picking right now. For one, you're almost guaranteed to be safer since we are not terribly likely to have a vaccine by November but are fairly likely to have one by next November (though anything's possible). For two, I'm generally more than happy to let someone else be the guinea pig on these sorts of things. Trying to ride a ride the week it comes out is always going to be more miserable than trying to ride it a year later. For all the people who are desperate to be in the parks as absolutely soon as they open, there's also going to be a lot of enraged posts and complaints at City Hall when they do.
 


happymom2one

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
It's really impossible to predict what crowds will look like later in the year when we don't even know if there will be crowds... at all. Even if the parks are open, we don't know if they will be open to full capacity or what kind of cuts will need to be done -- a half empty park running with half staff is going to feel just as busy as a full park running with full staff. Personally, I would favor going later if I were picking right now. For one, you're almost guaranteed to be safer since we are not terribly likely to have a vaccine by November but are fairly likely to have one by next November (though anything's possible). For two, I'm generally more than happy to let someone else be the guinea pig on these sorts of things. Trying to ride a ride the week it comes out is always going to be more miserable than trying to ride it a year later. For all the people who are desperate to be in the parks as absolutely soon as they open, there's also going to be a lot of enraged posts and complaints at City Hall when they do.
Thank you for responding. I really like and appreciate your advice.
 
  • kimbodisney

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 8, 2017
    Personally I am just now planning to Nov. 21-28, Thanksgiving Break from school (I am a teacher). As far as DVC Resorts, a lot of choices are gone/booked. I cancelled April Spring Break. Scheduled for August 5-18. But now am feeling like August might not even work. I have no idea. So I am going to try to set something up for November, just in case August does not work. I am determined to go in 2020 if at all possible. Even if things are different at the resorts and parks. It is still Disney World. Good luck.
     

    DisneyStarWisher

    Love My DVC!!!
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2008
    We cancelled our early November trip and plan to go November 2021. We just don't want to take any chances. We were planning on activating our APs this November and going again next October. So we weren't worried about the crowds next year anyway. We just shifted everything back a year. Good luck making your decision.
     

    pooh2001

    been there, done that, TRYING to go back
    Joined
    Feb 16, 2000
    We are November 2020 - but depending on what is open and COVID-19 - we may move our WDW vacation to November 2022
     
  • Bubble123

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Apr 28, 2020
    I'm booked with my friend to go in November 2020 too.. Hoping we can still go, it's too early to tell as yet. If we have to reschedule we'll plan to go in the early months of 2021..
     

    WDWTRAVELLER

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Feb 4, 2020
    I am sure praying that we can still go this December, we have 2 weeks booked with Disney and Rented DVC points for the 3rd week. The Virus I would hope would be gone in 7 motnhs.
     

    pooh2001

    been there, done that, TRYING to go back
    Joined
    Feb 16, 2000
    I would do November 2021 - best for the great 50's anniversary - just be careful of your ADR's and FP+ and you will be fine.
     
  • tguz

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 6, 2018
    We are skipping this Summer and going either next Summer or Christmas time 2021. The first reason is because we are going for our honeymoon in 2021 but with the Covid situation, we would have skipped this year anyway. I'm not really willing to go and pay that kind of money for WDW to be operating partially. I want all the parks open and all the rides staffed when we go in 2021. Hopefully that is the case.
     

    rascooby

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Nov 30, 2007
    We are booked for Nov 27-Dec 5 this year. If I didn't have a kiddo who is graduating at the end of the 20/21 school year, I would switch to next year. If things go as planned she'll be at college Nov 2021, and she was the one who really wanted to do the trip, so I can't reschedule. If we have to cancel we'll just do a different vacation and put Disney on hold for another couple years.
     

    Disnut+

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    May 12, 2020
    We are in the same boat! Travel restrictions may leave us with no choice. However, we are hanging on to hope that we can go this November and that if they open in summer then they will hopefully have adapted to the situation and have more offerings available by November as they learn and adapt from earlier months.
     

    Yzma The Cat

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Sep 19, 2016
    Hi There! Right now I have plans for Disney World for the first week of November 2020. I was originally scheduled to go the first week of May and after a little family meeting we decided to give November a go. I hope that by then the Covid situation will be a bit more calm. I expect there will still be restrictions in place but maybe they will not be so strict as they are now.

    Great points have been made with weighing the different options of choosing to go this year or wait. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here since the global situation is still just very 'wait and see' so to speak. As long as you and your travel party are aligned on which pro's and con's you are willing to face together, you will have a great vacation!

    Wishing you all the best! :earsboy:
     

    Shelly F - Ohio

    Disney Extraordinaire
    Joined
    Feb 22, 2004
    I would do next year. You have no idea what the virus will do later this year. We don't know what capacity Disney will be at for Nov. Right now the talk is that they will follow Shanghai and open with 20%. But then again Disney always raises their prices for tickets in Aug & Feb so you need to factor in 3 price increases (Aug20, Feb 21 and Aug 21) when you budget for your trip.
     

    pooh2001

    been there, done that, TRYING to go back
    Joined
    Feb 16, 2000
    I saw on the news the vaccine is in stage 2 testing - but will take a year to prove out.
    That makes it May 2021 and may not be available till Summer 2021
    But at least it is hopefully
    :cheer2:Hurrah - thumbs up:thumbsup2 - for all the scientists 🔬
     

    Orion Nebula

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Jun 2, 2020
    We book (and still are) for Sept. 90% sure we will be re-booking. Like you we are on the fence on when the best time will be. A lot of the things missing are not a huge deal to me, mostly due to two of my gets having ASD and hating loud noise (fireworks, parades). Which actually becomes a bonus, but that was the only reason for the 10% chance, and well the room discount also. Anyways we were actually considering late Nov / Early Dec. But without he dining plan will probably be pushing it back into next year. I want to go in Jan / Feb but my wife says it's too chilly in the evenings. I think if the masks are still required it would be a good idea, but whatever. So it seems we may move our trip to March if I had to throw out a month.
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top