Nov17: Finding a Whole New World Getting Out of My Disney Rut

momabaarjo

Rather Sail Away with Mickey than Run Now

I love the reaction I get when I tell family and friends that I am embarking on my next Disney vacation. While my Disney loving friends get it, others give me that look that ranges somewhere between totally clueless and shear disgust, after all why would anyone keep going back to the same place over and over again. I have often wondered if I would ever get to the point that the magic would fade, but with this recent trip I experienced Walt Disney World through a whole new perspective…

dpetfydse-07.jpg

This latest trip was a “working” vacation for me and although it did not start out as a solo trip it became that way due to that pesky thing called real life obligations. While I love my family and girlfriend trips, there is something to say about spending a week in Walt Disney World doing exactly what you want to do and not having to compromise with anyone else. And since this was also a “working” vacation I challenged myself every day to break out of my “Disney Vacation Rut” of doing the same things and experience NEW adventures that normally would have gotten lost in the compromise.

rutt.jpg

Come along as I share my “working vacation” through this new perspective that renews the magic by creating a WHOLE NEW WORLD.

1c.JPG

Covering all the W’s

Who: Me (Tammie), along with a few runDisney friends (Jan & @lovingeire), a longtime DIS friend @lovethattink & “work” friends (Amanda, LeAnn & @ashw100 )

What/Why: A runDisney & Working Vacation to Walt Disney World

When: November 3-10, 2017

Where: 3 Split Stay

POP Century

Coronado Springs
Board Walk Inn

IMG_3667.JPG

Last edited:
Cast of 1 Character

Hi, I am Tammie, an almost (I SAID ALMOST) half century old Disney Queen who tries to act like one except for when I am guzzling chocolate (and watching cute Italian boys) at Via Napoli or when a Lapu Lapu is spraying from my mouth in laughter.

1a.JPG 1.JPG 1b.JPG

For the most of this trip I will be a solo traveler and without any shame admit that I went on another WDW trip without my family, mainly cause they don’t get why I keep going back…getting lost from the demands of the REAL world in a world (or land) where following your dreams, never giving up and happy endings are the norm. I will admit that seeing Cinderella’s Castle covered in holiday twinkle light with Wishes Fireworks going off behind it and hearing the lyrics “Star Light, Star Bright ,” tears of happiness tend to flow and I forget everything in my life at the moment might not be so great. At Walt Disney World will find me hanging out on the PeopleMover, perusing my inner foodie cravings or trying to see how many times a middle aged woman can ride Expedition Everest back to back.

2.JPG 2a.jpeg 2b.JPG

I love to scrapbook & take pictures (duh, you need those things for scrapbooks) in addition to planning and dreaming of Disney trips (okay really dreaming of Disney food and drinks). My favorite leading man is Killian Jones, sigh (you knew that he was going to come up if you have ever read any of my PTR/TR).

3.jpg

3a.JPG 3b.JPG

However, I would love to request a slightly older version Captain Hook because at this stage in life I do not have the patience to train another man…with DD off to college I am home with my 3 boys (husband included) and they are enough to deal with. During the day I work in education, in a position I between a rock and a hard place but by night I am using my love for planning and Disney to pursue a new adventure which is the real reason (or excuse) for this trip. runDisney is also an addictive habit of mine, something I found in the middle of my life that I use to shock people…cause it is fun to do the impossible.

4a.JPG

Well enough about me, let’s get this Trip Report Started...

Last edited:

Friday, November 3:
Let’s Go “HOME”

1.JPG

Departure day at work seemed endless and like time was standing still, but isn’t that always what happens when you are excited and waiting for something great? Luckily, I had a meeting that afternoon that ended a little earlier than the actual work day and I was able to slip away to meet Mr. Grumpy to drop off my car for some repairs (darn hail from last summer) at the body shop while I was gone. We then picked up the #monsterchild from school and headed for the airport (which happens to be located between his school and our home). I said my goodbyes and received my last minute “bring me home” requests at the curb. I fly out of a regional airport, so there is not much hustle and bustle except for right before flights arrive…and I was about 2 hours early. I decided at the last minute to take a larger suitcase (in case I purchased more than normal thanks to my new adventures with my 2nd “job”, which was the whole purpose of this trip) and needed to check it, which unknown to me at the time would be MISTAKE 1 of the evening. With my bag checked I passed through security without much fanfare, although the new “snack” rule was now being enforced at my little airport…lucky for me I already knew about it and was prepared with unopened snacks in a location that I could pull them out when I pulled out my laptop. Another lady who thought of herself as an “experienced” traveler was not so prepared and decided to get grumpy with a security agent. Sigh…so not their fault. I breezed through security and headed to the bathroom to change my shirt! I needed to put on my glittery “HOME” shirt that I knew from experience that the security scanners would hate...

2.JPG

All ready to go, I sat down at my gate (okay like there are only 4 in the whole airport) and began my social media blitz. After I completed that, I looked around (because you always see people you know on your flight) and found a friend who happens to be an AP holder and her husband and she saw me! The next hour of waiting and the short flight to Dallas passed by quickly while we chatted about school and of course Walt Disney World, which she had just returned from a couple weeks before. As we pulled to the gate in Dallas, I gathered my things quickly because I knew my connection was tight, less than 20 minutes and according to SW app I had to make it completely to the other side of the terminal. I hastily said my goodbyes and exited as quickly as I could, passed by several gates to the nearest monitor only to discover that I just passed the gate I needed and actually had time to go to the bathroom! YAY! Scanning the SW boarding line, I happen to spot someone that I thought could be Ashley and her DH….I think we found each other about the same time and both hesitantly approached each other. We talked for a few minutes before she and her husband boarded and I waited for my time to line up. Boarding the plane, was tired…it had been a long day and I knew it was going to be a short night with my next day plans that I bypassed the aisle seat near the front of the plane next to Ashley @ashw100 for a window seat mid plane…

3.JPG

where I hoped to get a little sleep, which turned out to be MISTAKE 2, 3 & MISTAKE 4 of the evening because no sooner had I settled in then it was announced this was a full flight…darn no space between me and the teenager who took the aisle and clearly did not want to talk to me either. Yep, a rather chatty lady sat between us as well as a family with a couple of cranky active near 6 year olds…so much for sleep. I did my best not to be rude and engaged in somewhat of a conversation with my neighbor and not go full teacher mode on the mother/children behind me who continued to kick and pull on my chair while mom SLEPT with headphones on. You know it’s a lost cause when the teacher glare has no effect. A little grumpy & tired (OKAY, HONESTLY A LOT OF BOTH) looking out the window I located Epcot…

4.JPG

My mood instantly lifted, that was until DISASTER struck (LITERALLY) as I went to depart the plane not once but twice in the next 30 minutes…

Following along!
My favorite leading man is Killian Jones, sigh (you knew that he was going to come up if you have ever read any of my PTR/TR).

3-jpg.286146
I feel like we are kindred spirits! My family also doesn't understand my Disney obsession... so I decided to just plan 2 solo trips next year! But I think once I saw Killian...oh, you had me!

Following along!

I feel like we are kindred spirits! My family also doesn't understand my Disney obsession... so I decided to just plan 2 solo trips next year! But I think once I saw Killian...oh, you had me!

Oh Killian...if I were about 30 years younger! LOL

So glad that you are going along...some how I will slip the Captain again, just so WE can look at his picture!

Lucky you to get in 2 solo trips...I am thinking of getting an AP so I can slip way for Toy Story preview and make and solo trip. I loved the freedom...

7c654725e75405c02a4b91a5a8fcfa06.jpg

Friday, November 3
Hobbling Along and Trying Hard Not to Cry

This time of night flying into Orlando, I am a pretty patient person when it comes to getting off my flight and tonight was no different (after all it is midnight it’s not like I have to be in rush to do anything), I wish the same could be said about a fellow passenger from several rows behind me who was certainly in a hurry to make her way off the plane in front of everyone else because just as I stepped into the aisle, she and I collided and I fell back into my seat with my lower body and left leg twisting in different directions and pain shot through my leg enough to take my breath away (if you want a better detailed account of what happened, check out my blog linked below…Tuesday’s on the Run: November 28) Had I known she was coming, I would have let her by. It was all I could do to gather myself back together, hold back the tears and make my way to the “monorail”...

5 - Copy.jpg 6 - Copy.jpg

I was in some serious pain on a very unstable leg, but hey I was in Orlando and all my leg probably needed was to walk it off. Despite the pain I stopped for the traditional selfie at the Disney Store

7 - Copy.jpg

and then made my way to the baggage claim, chatted with Ashley and WAITED, and WAITED, and WAITED until the baggage carousel stopped and the door closed.

8 - Copy.jpg

I stood there looking at the now empty baggage claim area and knew right then that while I made the tight connection, my bag did not and tears were filling up my eyes once again as I found the baggage office. The SW agent was rather grumpy and was not affected by my emotional state as she handed me my new piece of luggage (compliments of SW airlines) and my lost baggage claim along with the parting words of “Your bag in not found in the system.”

9 - Copy.jpg

There was nothing I could do but hobble my way back up Terminal B, across the airport, down Terminal A to the Magic Express check in area.

10 - Copy.jpg

At this point I forgot about my leg until I stepped up into the Magical Express bus and it gave way, making me stumble in front of the packed bus full of sleepy passengers as if I was drunk. Thankfully I only had to make it a couple of rows and when I sat down in the darkness, the tears began to flow. I knew that when I got to POP Century that I was going to have to make my way clear to the 90s section, which is somewhat of a hike…so I decided to stop in at Century Hall and ask for help (along with reporting my baggage situation)…

11 - Copy.jpg

I was really hoping to find a little magic at POP Century, but I think that day’s magic quoted had been used, despite being the dark start of a new day. I explained my situation to the check in Cast Member, who directed to a baggage service cast member working on paperwork at the end of the counter. He was kind and took care of the paperwork/information needed for Magical Express once Southwest had found my bag. When I asked about getting a ride over to my room, he told me that it would be a bit of a wait because everyone was busy delivering luggage with the golf carts. I honestly could not take another moment of this day without having a full breakdown and decided that I would continue to hobble. I am glad I did even though each step was painful, the night atmosphere of POP makes me smile…

12 - Copy.jpg 14 - Copy.jpg 13 - Copy.jpg

I made it to my room in the 90s section and opened my door hoping to find a little magic...

Last edited:
I feel so bad for you for what happened on the plane! I'm guessing she didn't apologize or acknowledge that she knocked you over :sad2: What a rough start to your trip!

I'm hopeful the next day (and rest of your trip) was much better! pixiedust:

Oh dear, sounds like a very rocky start to, what I hope turns out to be, a fun vacation. It can only get better from here on out, I think?

Reburbished & Beautiful

This is what a POP room looked like the last time I stayed there…

1.jpg

My room was pretty easy to find and when I opened the door magic happened. I thought knew what to expect when I opened the door to my room at POP since I had gotten my room text even before I left my home airport. I had requested and hoped that pixie dust would prevail and I would end up in one of the newly refurbished rooms...

2.jpg 3.JPG 4.jpg 5.jpg

Despite everything that had happened in the last 2 hours this room made up for it (at the moment, anyway). I admit that when pictures first began surfacing of the POP room makeover I was really disappointed and felt like the room was now suddenly sterile and ordinary, but let me reassure you nothing could be further from the reality. The new POP rooms are AMAZING! (For my full review of the Refurbished Rooms at Pop Century check out my blog post: Siesta Sunday-November 26) linked below in my signature. I can't believe that I even had negative feelings for this room and wanted the old POP back!

I spent a little time enjoying the room before, unpacked (ever wonder what is in at SW Airlines piece of luggage)...

6.jpg

Did a little laundry (that will teach me to carry a change of clothes in my carry on, okay NOT…I hate to carry on), popped a few pain killers, called my husband (and cried, which totally freaked him out because I am not a crier) before crawling into bed with all those pillows

7.jpg

(cussing SW airlines because MY PILLOW, yes I am a pillow snob and take my own, was in my missing luggage) and ending the day with a little prayer to St. Anthony (finder of lost things) along with a makeshift ice pack…

8.JPG

I feel so bad for you for what happened on the plane! I'm guessing she didn't apologize or acknowledge that she knocked you over :sad2: What a rough start to your trip!

I'm hopeful the next day (and rest of your trip) was much better! pixiedust:

Nope no apology only a glare that was how dare you get in my way! She even knocked a few more people out the way according to a few fellow passengers that stopped to see if I was okay. Lucky for her she was not at baggage claim or I might have said something...tired, hurting and cranky are not a good mix with me!

Oh dear, sounds like a very rocky start to, what I hope turns out to be, a fun vacation. It can only get better from here on out, I think?

You would hope that it could be better from here!

What a crummy start!! So sorry for the rudeness you encountered and the lost luggage. Hopefully the room magic (love love it) gave your trip a much needed restart and things are smooth sailing from then on!

I confess that a solo trip is absolutely a dream of mine. My kids would be so sad if I left them home that I feel guilty even entertaining the idea!

Oh man, I'm so sorry about that horrible end to the travel day! I never understand people who decide to push other guests out of the way!

I hope you got more Disney magic on your trip!

I haven't seen any pics yet of the refurbished rooms at Pop Century but do love the changes! Glad to see a little magic at the end of your rough day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!