November 2017 Car Rental Watch

I just got an Intermediate car from Nov 26 - Dec 2 for $220 total with that code. Everywhere else I looked was in the high 200s up to the 400s.

Just got a new reservation with Alamo for the same dates. Had an upgrade code for Insiders members (AU5224JAB). Compact upgraded to mid-size for $225. I've only ever had good experiences with Alamo, so I was hoping I could get a reasonable rate with them rather than trying Budget with their awful reviews.

Normally Costco is my go to car rental site because of prices and the free extra driver but due to some last minute changes to our Thanksgiving trip itinerary, I no longer could use the $198 full size rental I had reserved months ago. Moving my week over from 11/18-25 to 11/17-24 made our car rental about $350. Fortunately, we have a RCI account that you can book rental cars through and I was able to get a full size at Alamo for $227 (no extra driver and it's a non refundable prepay rental).

Normally Costco is my go to car rental site because of prices and the free extra driver but due to some last minute changes to our Thanksgiving trip itinerary, I no longer could use the $198 full size rental I had reserved months ago. Moving my week over from 11/18-25 to 11/17-24 made our car rental about $350. Fortunately, we have a RCI account that you can book rental cars through and I was able to get a full size at Alamo for $227 (no extra driver and it's a non refundable prepay rental).
If you join Alamo Insiders you can get free extra driver.

Anyone having problems entering Alamo coupon codes? I've been getting invalid value errors for a couple days.

Car rental rates for November are CRAZY!! I have used every code and coupon combonation and cannot come close to my midsize September 19-26 $124 rate. (Alamo with Costco & AD2365FDN coupon) The best I can do Nov 13-17th is Budget Midsize SUV for $192 that I booked a few weeks ago. I don't want to use one of the "off brand" agencies.
Does anyone have any ideas???

Car rental rates for November are CRAZY!! I have used every code and coupon combonation and cannot come close to my midsize September 19-26 $124 rate. (Alamo with Costco & AD2365FDN coupon) The best I can do Nov 13-17th is Budget Midsize SUV for $192 that I booked a few weeks ago. I don't want to use one of the "off brand" agencies.
Does anyone have any ideas???

It's been really get worse the last couple years. I used to get Midsize SUVs for <$200 easily, and the rates would always drop closer. Now you have to start looking 3-5 months ahead of time because you never know when the low time will be. I haven't seen an suv for <400 for my trip in months. I locked a standard SUV $265 back in July.

But no, NEVER EVER use an off brand. You may save a $100 or so, but there's no way the hassle is worth it, not to me. Skip the alamo counter and your on you way after bag pickup. I'm sure 1+ hours faster than an off site agency. My vacation time is very valuable, I'd rather waste it in line for space mountain.

From what I have been told, the rates are really bad because of the hurricanes. A lot of rentals went to Texas after Harvey. When Irma hit a lot of people used rental cars to evacuate because they couldn’t get a flight. The cars are in other states and not a lot of one ways back. Rental agencies are scrambling trying make the reservations they have with the stock they have. Some locations depending on availability any given day are not able to provide cars for the reservations they have. If they don’t have a car for you all they can do at the counter is apologize because they can’t make a car appear out of thin air.

How is it possible that the "last minute deal" from Alamo is nearly twice as much for my current rental? I am 8 days out and was hoping to drop below $350. . . 11/1-11/10 $385 for a mini van through Costco. Anyone have any luck for these dates? I booked this over 3 months ago and haven't found it cheaper.

I booked last spring and the price keeps rising for me in mid december...... I'm sticking with $302 for a minivan for 9 days....

How is it possible that the "last minute deal" from Alamo is nearly twice as much for my current rental? I am 8 days out and was hoping to drop below $350. . . 11/1-11/10 $385 for a mini van through Costco. Anyone have any luck for these dates? I booked this over 3 months ago and haven't found it cheaper.

That's crazy. Some "special". :) I would have thought early November would have been a better time to rent, but our Thanksgiving rental keeps going down. Every day for the past 5 days, it has dropped between $5-10/day. We're down to $289 today. 9 days of minivan.

I got our 15 passenger van for $510.00 11/23 to 12/2 back in February and it hasn't gone down since. Right now its at almost $1000.00 to book.

From what I have been told, the rates are really bad because of the hurricanes. A lot of rentals went to Texas after Harvey. When Irma hit a lot of people used rental cars to evacuate because they couldn’t get a flight. The cars are in other states and not a lot of one ways back. Rental agencies are scrambling trying make the reservations they have with the stock they have. Some locations depending on availability any given day are not able to provide cars for the reservations they have. If they don’t have a car for you all they can do at the counter is apologize because they can’t make a car appear out of thin air.

I've heard that rationale too but it's been work to get decent rates for my trips from May on this year out of MCO

They will charge what the market will bear, plain & simple.

What i have noticed is that even if i find a good rate to begin with, going back in & modifying pickup time is triggering large rate increases (anywhere from $100 to nearly double the rate!). Even if the actual length of reservation stays the same.

In the past I was often able to email them or call & they'd accommodate me. Have been told no by both Alamo & Hertz last two reservations. This week was offered an approx $100 increase to pick Nov rental up 6 hours earlier. I let it sit. Yesterday was able to modify the time for slight increase, now...

Alamo
AP discount
$25 coupon
Standard
11/25 for 7 days
$228

Still high but I can live with it, for now.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a rental from mco to the dolphin resort, just for a few hours. Is this cheaper than taking a cab or shuttle?? It's 2 kids and 2 adults. We would need to do it again for a ride back to the airport...any advice for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter