November/December

ClareH

Earning My Ears
I was originally going to Disney for Christmas/New Year but unfortunately have had to cancel as my father is unwell and it's going to take him a long time to get well (we were staying at GF & YC). We're now planning on going next year (2003) either during the 2nd and 3rd week of November or the first 2 weeks of December at staying at the YC & Coronado Springs (don't want to go the GF after all the negative reports I've been reading). Can anyone advise which would be the best time to go out of the dates above? What are the crowds like? What's the weather like? Also, what would be the best area of Coronado Springs if we want peace and quiet but not too long a walk to the restaurants? Thanks.

Hi Clare-

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope that his road to recovery is a smooth one.

My DH and I were at Coronado Springs last December. We were there 11/30-12/7. We found it to be an incredible time of year to be at WDW! The decorations were incredible, and MVMCP was fantastic! The weather last December was unseasonably warm, and we were able to swim comfortably to our hearts content. We are trying the first week in November this year, and I know that it will be a completely different experience without the decorations. I am a Christmas lover, so I am hoping that I will find as much magic in the World as I did last year!

Have a wonderful trip!!!

Erin :D

We were there in early December three years ago and it was wonderful: NO long waits, minimal crowds, pleasant weather, BEAUTIFUL decorations spread all over The World. :p You could spend a full day or two just visiting the different resorts and checking out the trees!

The only downside is shorter hours, and several attractions are usually in rehab at that time of year.

But with fewer people -- we never had more than a 10 minute wait for anything, and often just WALKED ONTO the rides! -- that doesn't really matter.

On a hunch, I'd guess you'd find fewer people in the first two weeks of December than you would in November, but that's just a hunch. One upside to November: the weather might be milder, and you could possibly go for a swim. (In December, that's hard to do -- too cold :eek: :eek:

Go and enjoy!

We've been 6 times in early December (we prefer the second week) and have been able to swim as much as we wanted. It's a truly wonderful time to go.

Early December is our favorite time to visit WDW for the reasons mentioned above. We weren't there 3 years ago - though my brother was, but that was an unusually cold year (and wet if I remember correctly). We've never had any problems with the temperature being too cool for swimming in December. Ususally the daytime temps have been in the 70s, possibly a few low 80s and upper 60s, but Disney heats the pools anyway.

November has the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, but Veteran's Day is Nov. 11 (a Tuesday in 2003). MANY people from New Jersey descend upon WDW around that time (due to school holidays). IF their teacher's convention is the first week, going the second and third weeks shouldn't be too bad. However, if it will be the second week, I can't recommend going then. We spent the weeks before and after Veteran’s Day at WDW one year and will not be there during ‘Jersey Week’ again.

We spent a week in early December at Coronado Springs. The weather that week was a bit chilly (hats, coats, gloves in the mornings -- jean & t-shirts by mid-day). But the week before and the week after our trip were very mild and lovely. It's anyone's guess what will happen with the weather at that time of year.

Coronado Springs is a beautiful resort. If you plan on walking from your room to the front desk/restaurants very often, try to avoid the Rancho section (rear of resort). The walk from there seemed to take forever (especially when we took a wrong turn and got lost LOL). However, I thought the rancho section decor was the most beautiful of the three themes.

Have a wonderful trip!

My wife and I were down at YC in 98 during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November. We lucked out as Orlando was having a record breaking warm spell at that time...85 to 90 most days although the humidity wasn't too bad.

We were able to get to the parks around 12:30ish and basically hit all the major attractions and rides by 5:30. Lines were at a minimum.

If you want to see some holiday decorations though, your best bet would probably be early December. IF you do decide to go in November, make certain to avoid the Soap Opera weekend. I hear its a zoo down there.

I have gone to Disney in Nov/Dec. Have gone the first week of Dec twice and NJ week once. Will be there again for NJ week this year. (Think it is pretty funny how the people on these boards have dubbed it NJ week - LOL- because MANY people from NJ go- give me a break!!). I prefer Nov because it is warmer. Both times in Dec it was pretty chilly - had to buy hats and gloves one Dec. We did go swimming once. In most of our pictures from Dec we are wearing light coats. I think everyone should see Disney decorated for the holidays at least once though. Crowds weren't bad either time of the year. I did not notice it being too crowded for Veteran's Day. I think a lot of people have to work on Veteran's Day - it is not a major holiday. If you want to go when there are no crowds go in Jan!! We went one Jan and the MK was a ghost town!!! The MK has always been packed whenever we have gone except for Jan!!!

Thanks everyone - I think it's going to have to be December with the Christmas decorations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter