$ Now or Later??????

Inside Ball

Mouseketeer
Just wanting some opinions. We are due to go in October but should we change some money now or wait and see. The dollar does seem to be dropping and apparently if interest rates go down as predicted then it will drop even more. Any advice PLEASE.

I know the rates have been very good since before Christmas ( a TEN year high) but I think the rates are set to drop over the next few months the big question is how far :confused3 . I have been watching the rates and buying £500 worth as and when I can spare it. The best thing to do is look on the bright side :banana: . I can remember a few years ago when you would be happy with $1.50 to the Pound. Hope this helps

Another one for buy now. Prediction is that they will continue to drop slowly until reaching about the $1.70 mark before settling again.

can't really afford it, but off in july, just purchased £2000 travellers cheques from onlinefx...same as yourself- worried that the doller would plummet and we would lose out, so feel happier now ...if not a lot lighter for it!!!!!

The rest of the money will have to be purchased july/aug or on plastic so probably break even in the long run depending on the dollar!!! :confused3

sharon

Can someone tell me the best place to get my Dollars?? Is onlinefx the best rate at the mo - I am going to bite the bullet and get as many as I can afford now!! :flower:

I just logged on to my OnlineFX account and there was £500 worth of USD$ in my basket......at a rate of $1.87! Presumably this is from last time when I logged on and did not complete the transaction, but still added the currency to my basket.

It seems to be allowing me to proceed with the purchase at the $1.87 rate :confused3 so I am definitely going to order! I'm too scared to push up the £500 though incase it reverts to todays exchange rate of just $1.79.

:cheer2: I love onlineFX !! LOL

:wizard:

sharon-o said:
The rest of the money will have to be purchased july/aug or on plastic so probably break even in the long run depending on the dollar!!! :confused3 sharon

You are probably aware of this but I haven't seen mention of it so ...

If you obtain a Nationwide credit card, they treat foreign transactions without charge (except hole in the wall). The best bit is that they give you the bulk Visa rate without loading. The hole in the wall attracts a £1.50 or 1.5% charge, whichever is the greater (plus interest - so preload the cc with some cash to avoid this).

This isn't advice. DYOR.

Regards,
Francis.

itsfja said:
You are probably aware of this but I haven't seen mention of it so ...

The hole in the wall attracts a £1.50 or 1.5% charge, whichever is the greater (plus interest - so preload the cc with some cash to avoid this).

This isn't advice. DYOR.

Regards,
Francis.

Open up a nationwide flex account too. That way you can use the CC for purchases and the Debit card you get with the flex account for withdrawing cash. No fees at all then :)

what rate did you get with the nationwide CC, was it the official rate as oppose the tourist rate.

heatherbelle said:
what rate did you get with the nationwide CC, was it the official rate as oppose the tourist rate.

I was in New York in April and was getting rates of $1.905 - $1.92, that was full bank rate and not the tourist rate.

Is there any information about the NationWide CC online? Can you apply for it online?

Thanks!

Yes Frances there is, I applied last week online. If you go to Google and key in Nationwide Credit Card, you can access the site from there. Sorry cannot remember the url.

I'm hoping it's here by Friday so that I can pay for my room reservations with it and not be penalised when they convert from $ to £ :)

Twinks

Thanks Twinks!

Twinks said:
I'm hoping it's here by Friday so that I can pay for my room reservations with it and not be penalised when they convert from $ to £ :)
Now that is one great idea :teeth:

Twinks said:
Yes Frances there is, I applied last week online. If you go to Google and key in Nationwide Credit Card, you can access the site from there. Sorry cannot remember the url.

Twinks
hmm - wouldn't count on it - their rates are great but their service isn't. My boyfriend lost his card the other week and we had to cut up both cards (they have the same number printed on them for the account holder and additional) and wait 10 days for a new card to be posted out!

Which leads me to my tip - if you and your partner have two credit cards on the same account check that the numbers are different, otherwise if one of them gets lost or stolen on your trip you won't have a back up as you'll have to cancel both.

We're going to take our nationwide cards because of the great rates - but also one form a different supplier as back up just in case. You can always leave it in the safe!

rosiejo said:
We're going to take our nationwide cards because of the great rates - but also one form a different supplier as back up just in case. You can always leave it in the safe!

I always assumed everyone would do this for the reasons you've already mentioned! We certainly do. The other thing we do is apply for cards seperately and don't have them linked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter