Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of these are big stories here though. I hadn't heard of either until this thread. It doesn't really seem like people are all upset over it.

The Walpole school has also cited safety concerns as a reason for the changes.
I had seen it on both local and national news before this thread.

The issues with "Christmas" have been huge locally in recent years, as well. That's what I took from the title.

You keep mentioning the teachers but honestly who cares what they want. The class parties are about the kids, not the teachers.

Yeah give the kids what they want. None of that boring math or english or history or all that other learning garbage. It's all about the kids. More parties. It's what they want.

In order to understand this "being news" you'd have to go way back to understanding Boston and its colonial roots: fiercely proud, willing to put lives on the line for independence, the start of the American Revolution and all that, and steeped in strong tradition ever since. It doesn't mean that we're not progressive, necessarily, because we absolutely are, but - put it this way - many people here don't like having things taken away from them.

That's as simple as I can get.

Beautifully spoken description of the roots I mentioned. ::yes:: Brought up visions of a famous colonial flag that my ancestors served under....

images

Well, in truth I don't think A Charlie Brown Christmas would be made today. Or at least it would be minus Linus' Bible reminder on the true meaning of Christmas.

Yeah give the kids what they want. None of that boring math or english or history or all that other learning garbage. It's all about the kids. More parties. It's what they want.

I don’t remember in any of my classes learning anything new on days before school vacations. Teachers planned either parties or fun type of lessons. I remember on Halloween, most of my classmates couldn’t care less about lessons and was anticipating going trick or treating. That didn’t mean we were behind in what we were to learn that year. My school district is considered one of the best in the country at that time, still is. Our high schools today are in the top 200 nationally.

Well, in truth I don't think A Charlie Brown Christmas would be made today. Or at least it would be minus Linus' Bible reminder on the true meaning of Christmas.

When they proposed the idea years ago to the network, the network was totally against it, and suggested they make it more commercialized. They convinced Bill Melendez enough that he discussed with Charles Shultz that maybe they should. Charles Shultz basically said if we are not going to make it about the right message then why make it at all. So I am figuring if Charles Shultz was alive and making today have feeling he would have had same message in the story.

Heard his house burnt down in fires in Calif. Anyone here if thats true I wonder how much memorbila was lost.

When they proposed the idea years ago to the network, the network was totally against it, and suggested they make it more commercialized. They convinced Bill Melendez enough that he discussed with Charles Shultz that maybe they should. Charles Shultz basically said if we are not going to make it about the right message then why make it at all. So I am figuring if Charles Shultz was alive and making today have feeling he would have had same message in the story.

Heard his house burnt down in fires in Calif. Anyone here if thats true I wonder how much memorbila was lost.

It is true. Some memorabilia was lost, but most drawings and other stuff is at the Charles Schulz museum.

I've hated Halloween ever since I was a kid. I always thought it was the absolute worst day of the school year having to suffer through it. My only beef with it was flat out disinterest. I pretty much felt that way as a teacher too. I'm so happy not to have to do that this year since I'm retired! Nothing to do with religion or anything else, I just didn't like how people acted and it just didn't "fit" with school IMO. We always "did" Halloween in my classroom, but it wasn't over the top. I always discussed how some people "do" Halloween and others don't and that's okay and the kids knew that whether they dressed up or not was okay too. I preferred fall type activities for celebrating, but it wasn't "anti Halloween" it was just about a season not a day. The only Holiday we celebrated at school that was more about a day than a season was Valentine's Day and even that we turned into a wider celebration of friendship etc. As a teacher, I always felt it was my job to reach the kids who were "disenfranchised" from any holiday due to poverty, neglect, disinterest, or disbelief and make sure they still felt part of our community during those seasons.

That said, on Halloween there were always kids in tears because they didn't have a costume, etc. It's a whole lot of drama and just another pointing out of the haves and have nots at school that I would rather avoid. In my school (with a very nonreligious staff) the majority of teachers wanted to minimize school wide Halloween celebrations and have the big events happen outside of school hours. Teachers came out on their own time to support the carnival though.

Last edited:
I've hated Halloween ever since I was a kid. I always thought it was the absolute worst day of the school year having to suffer through it. My only beef with it was flat out disinterest. I pretty much felt that way as a teacher too. I'm so happy not to have to do that this year since I'm retired! Nothing to do with religion or anything else, I just didn't like how people acted and it just didn't "fit" with school IMO. We always "did" Halloween in my classroom, but it wasn't over the top. I always discussed how some people "do" Halloween and others don't and that's okay and the kids knew that whether they dressed up or not was okay too. I preferred fall type activities for celebrating, but it wasn't "anti Halloween" it was just about a season not a day. The only Holiday we celebrated at school that was more about a day than a season was Valentine's Day and even that we turned into a wider celebration of friendship etc. As a teacher, I always felt it was my job to reach the kids who were "disenfranchised" from any holiday due to poverty, neglect, disinterest, or disbelief and make sure they still felt part of our community during those seasons.

That said, on Halloween there were always kids in tears because they didn't have a costume, etc. It's a whole lot of drama and just another pointing out of the haves and have nots at school that I would rather avoid. In my school (with a very nonreligious staff) the majority of teachers wanted to minimize school wide Halloween celebrations and have the big events happen outside of school hours. Teachers came out on their own time to support the carnival though.
There is no reason a kid should be in tears without a costume. I never had a store bought costume, and my mom was not crafty. I was a baby or a bum most years, throw in a cat every now and then. Goodwill is great for costume ideas, and with the internet, you don’t even need to be clever, tons of cheap ideas. And all kids, rich, poor, get the same right to ring doorbells and ask for candy, the more work you put in, the more candy you get.

I disagree. Most kids aren't really able to do this on their own until about fourth grade. Primary students without parental support for holidays have a difficult time. Teachers help them, but that's not the same when you see your friend dressing in the beautiful ice princess costume you were wishing you had. Young kids just can't decide to go trick or treating without their parents.

Spoken as someone who doesn't have to worry about organizing the costumes and making sure the kids are all looking good.

And lets not forget, they're still having the parties. So what exactly are the kids missing out on?

Last but not least, if it's "about the kids", don't you want ALL kids participating?

Nobody is stopping all kids from participating

They'll have to move it to FoxNews:rolleyes1

Actually, the Peanuts themed Halloween and Christmas cartoons have previously migrated. Both first appeared on CBS, but then moved in 2001 to ABC. Frankly, I don't care what network they may go to next, as long as it isn't "Nothing But Commercials." :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!