NRC vs race tracking

Livelovedance

DIS Veteran
I use the Nike Running Club app to track my runs. I’m not ready to buy a running watch, and I wear a Fitbit regularly.

The past couple 5Ks I have done have tracked me at more mileage than the actual 5K, thus skewing my pacing. For example, the last race I did NRC said was 3.19 miles, so my pace was almost a full minute different on the app than the pace from the race tracking.

I’m not sure if the app is just that far off, or if I’m actually adding more mileage in my runs. I know mileage can vary due to weaving, or running on the outside of the paths, but I’m not a fast runner and I have to run/walk at times. I tend to run closer to the right to stay out of the way of the other runners. I’ve tried starting in the back so I can stay more on track, but then I can’t run as I’d like to either due to the majority of people walking in groups in front of me.

I’m trying to improve my pace so I can put in a POT for the princess weekend. I’m just afraid with such a discrepancy that I’m not going to reach the POT I need. Any advice?

I use the Nike Running Club app to track my runs. I’m not ready to buy a running watch, and I wear a Fitbit regularly.

The past couple 5Ks I have done have tracked me at more mileage than the actual 5K, thus skewing my pacing. For example, the last race I did NRC said was 3.19 miles, so my pace was almost a full minute different on the app than the pace from the race tracking.

I’m not sure if the app is just that far off, or if I’m actually adding more mileage in my runs. I know mileage can vary due to weaving, or running on the outside of the paths, but I’m not a fast runner and I have to run/walk at times. I tend to run closer to the right to stay out of the way of the other runners. I’ve tried starting in the back so I can stay more on track, but then I can’t run as I’d like to either due to the majority of people walking in groups in front of me.

I’m trying to improve my pace so I can put in a POT for the princess weekend. I’m just afraid with such a discrepancy that I’m not going to reach the POT I need. Any advice?
Assuming you are using a Fitbit with GPS, the difference is probably due to you not taking the best tangents through the course. If the course is crowded and has lots of turns, it is unavoidable. If the course doesn't have a ton of people you can be aware of tangents and run a wise race. If the course is fairly straight, you should not see this kind of discrepancy.

Assuming you are using a Fitbit with GPS, the difference is probably due to you not taking the best tangents through the course. If the course is crowded and has lots of turns, it is unavoidable. If the course doesn't have a ton of people you can be aware of tangents and run a wise race. If the course is fairly straight, you should not see this kind of discrepancy.
Yes, there were a lot of turns and it was very crowded. I’d just hate for my 10K pace to be so far off. In any other circumstance it wouldn’t bother me, but I am aiming for a good POT! Thanks for the information!

Are you able to find a couple of potential POT races so that if you don't do as well as you'd like on the first, you can have a re-do a couple of weeks later? That's what my best friend is going to do for Princess. We have a 10K picked out in September with a backup in November in case she isn't happy with her time on the POT the first time. If you aren't able to find a "backup" POT race, I would train to run faster than you need to. If you want a 1:00:00 10K, train as if you're going to run a 55:00 10K. That way, you're over-prepared on race day and you'll still be close to your goal even if there's a lot of weaving and detours.

I have the same issue with NRC, and I know it's because of the way I run. Courses are measured for the shortest possible distance - taking the inside of every curve, etc. They don't account for the extra distance of running straight up the middle, veering off to the side at a water stop, weaving in between people, etc. Those will be definitely be factors both on race day and during your POT race.

Just out of curiosity, how large are the discrepancies in your distances? Mine tends to be within about 0.1 on 5Ks, within around 0.2-0.25 on 10Ks, but sometimes the margin can be much larger on half marathons (up to 0.4). From what I've read, phone GPS is supposed to be accurate within about 8-15 meters, which can definitely add up over the course of a long run. I'm guessing that the culprit is some combination of cell phone GPS not being exact and also the added incidental mileage during a race.

The Proof of Time uses the race time from the race results website, not your nike training club time. It might be worth it to buy a $15 sports watch with a stop watch feature and you can watch the mile markers and time yourself that way. I've found during races, my Garmin is usually about .05-.1 over the race distance. It's not really a huge deal for 5k races.

I just checked my Garmin data out of curiosity and for the Princess half it was 13.35 miles (there was a LOT a lot a lot of weaving during this race) and for a different half marathon race it was 13.30. That is .25 and .20 additional I "ran" for about an extra 2 and a half minutes added onto my race time.

Last edited:
Are you able to find a couple of potential POT races so that if you don't do as well as you'd like on the first, you can have a re-do a couple of weeks later? That's what my best friend is going to do for Princess. We have a 10K picked out in September with a backup in November in case she isn't happy with her time on the POT the first time. If you aren't able to find a "backup" POT race, I would train to run faster than you need to. If you want a 1:00:00 10K, train as if you're going to run a 55:00 10K. That way, you're over-prepared on race day and you'll still be close to your goal even if there's a lot of weaving and detours.

I have the same issue with NRC, and I know it's because of the way I run. Courses are measured for the shortest possible distance - taking the inside of every curve, etc. They don't account for the extra distance of running straight up the middle, veering off to the side at a water stop, weaving in between people, etc. Those will be definitely be factors both on race day and during your POT race.

Just out of curiosity, how large are the discrepancies in your distances? Mine tends to be within about 0.1 on 5Ks, within around 0.2-0.25 on 10Ks, but sometimes the margin can be much larger on half marathons (up to 0.4). From what I've read, phone GPS is supposed to be accurate within about 8-15 meters, which can definitely add up over the course of a long run. I'm guessing that the culprit is some combination of cell phone GPS not being exact and also the added incidental mileage during a race.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely look into some additional backup 10Ks. I’ve been working on getting faster, but now I’m just concerned that with the pace noted by the race, I’m farther away than I thought I was.

I’m glad to hear from someone else that uses NRC, because I was wondering if it was just the app or a combination of things. My results from the last run I did was a 5K, NRC said I ran 3.19 mi. The pace was a difference of 54 seconds, which was initially discouraging because that’s almost a whole minute slower. I’m sure you’re right though, I know there are so many unavoidable factors like the cell phone GPS, the crowds, running outside of turns, etc. I can’t let it stop me, I’ll just have to train to get even faster. Thanks again!

The Proof of Time uses the race time from the race results website, not your nike training club time. It might be worth it to buy a $15 sports watch with a stop watch feature and you can watch the mile markers and time yourself that way. I've found during races, my Garmin is usually about .05-.1 over the race distance. It's not really a huge deal for 5k races.

I just checked my Garmin data out of curiosity and for the Princess half it was 13.35 miles (there was a LOT a lot a lot of weaving during this race) and for a different half marathon race it was 13.30. That is .25 and .20 additional I "ran" for about an extra 2 and a half minutes added onto my race time.
Yes, that’s was why I was concerned. I don’t have great times and I am pushing myself to get faster. I know for sure I’m running more than the distance set by the race because I’m getting the alerts for the miles before the mile markers come up. I guess it’s just frustrating because, for POT purposes, it puts me further behind than I realized. Thanks for the information, at least I know it’s not just the app. I’ll just have to keep pushing myself!

One factor to remember is that a FitBit with GPS still may not measure the distance accurately. My FitBit with GPS shows that I only ran 12.89 miles for the 2018 Dark Side Half Marathon.

One factor to remember is that a FitBit with GPS still may not measure the distance accurately. My FitBit with GPS shows that I only ran 12.89 miles for the 2018 Dark Side Half Marathon.
(Edited because I forgot to add the quote!)

Thanks! I actually don’t use the Fitbit to track my runs - I only mentioned it because I already wear a Fitbit as a watch, so I wasn’t looking for another watch to wear in addition. I should’ve made that more clear in my previous post lol. That’s an interesting discrepancy!

I use the NRC app on my phone when I run. I know it won’t be 100% accurate, but I was just curious if the app was known for being very off. Based on what I’ve read here I’m going to keep using it, because it doesn’t seem terribly off for a phone GPS, and I think the unavoidable factors are also playing a part in it. I’m going to try to stay more on the tangents next time (if possible) and see what difference it makes.

Last edited:
have you tried mapmyrun instead of nike run club? nrc really benefits from being aided by a tracking device like a watch or a footpod.

I'm a little confused by your post.

You mention that you 5k measured at 3.19 miles which is only .08 long, not very much at all.

Then you mentioned that extra .08 altered your pace by almost a minute. Are you talking pace or time? Pace is per mile so I'm not sure how an extra .08 of a mile can alter your race time by almost 3 minutes ( minute of pace times miles in the race). If it is time a full minute seems too much for only .08 of a mile. I'm trying to picture taking a fill minute to go down the straightaway on a track and don't think that sounds right.

Lastly, the distance in your app and any pace calculations are moot. All that matters is the final time from the race.

Maybe I'm missing something but I am lost based on this post.

have you tried mapmyrun instead of nike run club? nrc really benefits from being aided by a tracking device like a watch or a footpod.

No, but I can try it out. I used to use the footpod, but I got rid of those shoes years ago. Thanks!

I'm a little confused by your post.

You mention that you 5k measured at 3.19 miles which is only .08 long, not very much at all.

Then you mentioned that extra .08 altered your pace by almost a minute. Are you talking pace or time? Pace is per mile so I'm not sure how an extra .08 of a mile can alter your race time by almost 3 minutes ( minute of pace times miles in the race). If it is time a full minute seems too much for only .08 of a mile. I'm trying to picture taking a fill minute to go down the straightaway on a track and don't think that sounds right.

Lastly, the distance in your app and any pace calculations are moot. All that matters is the final time from the race.

Maybe I'm missing something but I am lost based on this post.
Sorry, I guess I didn’t explain myself well. I’m talking average pace for the entire run. The app said I ran 3.19 mi, in 35:27, with an average pace of 11:04. The stats from the race said I ran the 5K in 35:26, with an average pace of 11:59. The difference in average pace is what confused me.

I know that all that matters is the time of the race, but I’ve been personally using the pace to gauge my improvements each run. If my pace is better, that would make my time better. I’m not a great runner but I’ve been working at it and I’d like to be able to finish a 10K with a time that’s decent enough to put in a POT for corral placement. (I know a 12 min mile isn’t terrible, but I’m working for better.)

I’m sure I’m probably making a bigger deal than I need to for something small, but I figured average pace was a good way to gauge my runs each week. Maybe I was wrong :confused3

Sorry, I guess I didn’t explain myself well. I’m talking average pace for the entire run. The app said I ran 3.19 mi, in 35:27, with an average pace of 11:04. The stats from the race said I ran the 5K in 35:26, with an average pace of 11:59. The difference in average pace is what confused me.

You're overthinking this, I think. Your average pace for the distance you ran is probably very close to the 11:04. A race only counts the distance at which it is measured. If you had run 2 miles and then stopped for a beer for 10 minutes and then kept running, your average pace for the distance you ran would still be 11:04, but your official race time would now be 45:26 with a drastic slowdown in pace.

You're overthinking this, I think. Your average pace for the distance you ran is probably very close to the 11:04. A race only counts the distance at which it is measured. If you had run 2 miles and then stopped for a beer for 10 minutes and then kept running, your average pace for the distance you ran would still be 11:04, but your official race time would now be 45:26 with a drastic slowdown in pace.
Interesting, I didn’t think it worked that way. Thank you for the explanation!

I know that all that matters is the time of the race, but I’ve been personally using the pace to gauge my improvements each run. If my pace is better, that would make my time better. I’m not a great runner but I’ve been working at it and I’d like to be able to finish a 10K with a time that’s decent enough to put in a POT for corral placement. (I know a 12 min mile isn’t terrible, but I’m working for better.)

I’m sure I’m probably making a bigger deal than I need to for something small, but I figured average pace was a good way to gauge my runs each week. Maybe I was wrong :confused3

Ok, average pace. I was going to essentially type the above response so I'll just quote it and agree with what FFigawi posted.

My Garmin calculates average pace based on time elapsed unless I pause my run. With Strava I no longer have to pause my run on my Garmin. Strava can tell when I have stopped to talk to someone and pulls that time out of my average pace. I am really learning to love Strava. Wish I had tried it sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter