NY Marathon

I went poncho and midtown bus. Bus and ferry were equally easy for me to get to, and I didn't want to deal with having to take a bus to the start area after getting off the ferry.

Also, if anyone is in town a little early (or not) and is interested in volunteering, volunteer sign ups for marathon week events are available: https://www.nyrr.org/getinvolved/volunteer/opportunities (this is the page for all NYRR events, so you have to scroll down a bit or filter to find the marathon week events).

I'll be volunteering at t-shirt distribution at the expo on Friday morning - so if you're coming to the expo Friday morning, I may hand you your race shirt!

If you have family/friends who want to volunteer on race day, those sign ups are available too: https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/volunteers/opportunities

Has anyone run for a charity before? The bus that the charity (St Jude's) is providing leaves at 5:30am. I'm in the 11:00 start. This seems like such a huge amount of time to be tooling around the charity village and start area. Are there any amenities in the charity village?

My friend is on the 8:45 ferry...is this cutting it too close or is this a much more reasonable time?

Has anyone run for a charity before? The bus that the charity (St Jude's) is providing leaves at 5:30am. I'm in the 11:00 start. This seems like such a huge amount of time to be tooling around the charity village and start area. Are there any amenities in the charity village?

My friend is on the 8:45 ferry...is this cutting it too close or is this a much more reasonable time?

There is food and other stuff in the village. I just laid around and relaxed. It cracked me up that there were a lot of people who brought pool floats to nap on. I had never thought of that.

8:45 seems a little late to me but you can just jump on any ferry you want. They run repeatedly through the morning and there are no tickets or anything

There is food and other stuff in the village. I just laid around and relaxed. It cracked me up that there were a lot of people who brought pool floats to nap on. I had never thought of that.

8:45 seems a little late to me but you can just jump on any ferry you want. They run repeatedly through the morning and there are no tickets or anything
I will probably jump on the ferry at about 8:15-8:30. Thanks for the hint about the pool float. We have a pool and many floats. I may give that a try. Heck, I might start doing that at WDW. Easy to transport deflated, then blow it up in the corral.

Question - how do people know what time they're starting? Is it somewhere in the registration info?

Here is a link to the wave assignments from 2017. This year's have not been released yet, but they will be very close as 2018 was the same.

NYC 2017 WAVE start times

Thank you! I thought I was missing something somewhere ... this is very helpful. Assuming they keep the same assignments (not necessarily the case since they've changed start areas and times for a few other races), I should be in the 11am start.

I was fortunate enough to run NY in 2018. You guys are gonna love it. I'd recommend going to the opening ceremony in Central Park on Friday night as well as heading back to the finish line late Sunday to cheer on the final finishers.

Also, if anyone is in town a little early (or not) and is interested in volunteering, volunteer sign ups for marathon week events are available: https://www.nyrr.org/getinvolved/volunteer/opportunities (this is the page for all NYRR events, so you have to scroll down a bit or filter to find the marathon week events).

I'll be volunteering at t-shirt distribution at the expo on Friday morning - so if you're coming to the expo Friday morning, I may hand you your race shirt!

If you have family/friends who want to volunteer on race day, those sign ups are available too: https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/volunteers/opportunities

I'll be picking up my shirt on Friday after we land. I'm guessing you'll be the person in the volunteer shirt?

I will probably jump on the ferry at about 8:15-8:30. Thanks for the hint about the pool float. We have a pool and many floats. I may give that a try. Heck, I might start doing that at WDW. Easy to transport deflated, then blow it up in the corral.

Actually each color has a village to Hang out in. You can’t get into a Coral until about 15 minutes prior to the start. The village I was in had tents, food, port o potties and tv screens with race coverage.

One tip for those running

I’m not sure if it is still the case but when I ran in 2016, we went to the expo on Saturday to pick up my bib and a lot of the merchandise was pretty discounted. I think like 50% off +.

On the other hand if you are looking for finisher gear, get to the park early on Monday Morning.

Actually each color has a village to Hang out in. You can’t get into a Coral until about 15 minutes prior to the start. The village I was in had tents, food, port o potties and tv screens with race coverage.
Thanks - using the floats in a corral was more a WDW idea. Would beat the heck out of sitting on the wet grass or a towel for an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter