NY Marathon

How do you know you were rejected? I don't have an email and I don't have a charge either, but do we know the drawing is over? NM i found it on the profile. Not accepted either.

If you were rejected, remember it's NOT you, it's them (they don't have the space available, it's not that they don't like you)

Doesn't look like I am in either (no charges or email) - oh well, try again next year...do they eventually have pity on you if you try multiple years in a row and don't get in?

I
According to NYRR, 10,510 runners were chosen from a total of 117,709 applicants - approximately 9%.
https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Here's what confuses me - the marathon has about 50,000 people. Are there really 35,500 people who get in through guaranteed entry, time qualification, and charity? That seems like a lot...

That may be about right. Keep in mind Boston is 30 K and they have no lottery. What’s weird is I think I read where ny has more difficult qualifying standards in terms of speed

I’ll have to go back and look. I wonder what the number of applicants were prior to them removing the $10 fee to get in the lottery.

In 2016 before they removed the entry fee for the lottery. they took 23% of about 82,000 applicants or like 19000 from the lottery.

Didn't get in through the lottery, but I may be able to get a sponsor bib.

According to NYRR, 10,510 runners were chosen from a total of 117,709 applicants - approximately 9%.
https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Here's what confuses me - the marathon has about 50,000 people. Are there really 35,500 people who get in through guaranteed entry, time qualification, and charity? That seems like a lot...

The time qualification pool is smaller than Boston. Their Guaranteed bib pool is divided between Sponsor Bibs, NYRR guaranteed entry bibs, Time Qualification, Charity and Travel Partner bibs

That may be about right. Keep in mind Boston is 30 K and they have no lottery. What’s weird is I think I read where ny has more difficult qualifying standards in terms of speed

I’ll have to go back and look. I wonder what the number of applicants were prior to them removing the $10 fee to get in the lottery.

Yeah from the quick people at work NY is a much stricter than NY for me my NY time is 3:05 and my boston time is 3:25

I was rejected too. So now I don't have to run a marathon or spend the money to travel to NYC, so that's a win, I guess...

I have my fingers crossed I don’t get selected in the lottery. I tried to delete my credit card on Monday and it wouldn’t let me until after the drawing. I’d have to defer if I get selected and I would feel bad taking that spot from someone else. There’s no way I’ll be marathon ready after I’m cleared to start running again.
I've read you could have withdrawn your name if you couldn't do it anymore, doesn't help now, but for future just in case.

I've read you could have withdrawn your name if you couldn't do it anymore, doesn't help now, but for future just in case.
You can - I have done that twice. I believe that you can remove your lottery entry at any time up to the day before the drawing.

I claimed my guaranteed entry a few weeks ago--I'm a time qualifier. I was dead set against another fall double marathon (I'm doing Berlin), but here I am. NYC's time qualifications are tighter than Boston's, but NYC accepts half marathon times.

I claimed my guaranteed entry a few weeks ago--I'm a time qualifier. I was dead set against another fall double marathon (I'm doing Berlin), but here I am. NYC's time qualifications are tighter than Boston's, but NYC accepts half marathon times.

Looking at the numbers it would appear that ther has been a pretty large increase in time qualifiers given the reduction in the number of people taken through the lottery. There appears to have been about an 8k drop from 2016-2019 of entries out of the lottery. Although I also may suppose there is also an increase in people gaining entry through the NYRR program.

I also got in through the time qualifying standard and this year they must not have had as many runners submit times. I applied on the last day of time qualifiers and was notified within an hour! I ran NYC in 2015, and then got talked into running again with some local friends who were in general lottery. Two got lottery spots and the other is raising money for Team for Kids. My times are slower than needed for Boston, but that is because I am in a much older age group. My Boston qualifying time is 4:35 and NYC is 4:50.

Anyone remember that strava entry they did last year (I think you had to run a virtual marathon on the same day in NYC to get entry into the next year)? Any word on if that's happening again?

Anyone remember that strava entry they did last year (I think you had to run a virtual marathon on the same day in NYC to get entry into the next year)? Any word on if that's happening again?

Yes. It is. I can't find the link to it at the moment, but I know I got an email about it (I'm a NYRR member and I do a lot of their virtual races, so I get emails about all these things). I'll see if I can track down the info.

Registration opens June 19th. I think last year it sold out relatively quickly, so if you know you want to do it, I'd be prepared to sign up then.

Side note: 2020 is the 50th anniversary of the NYC marathon

Aaaah perfect thank you. Sounds like next year might be a year to skip though?
There's a local marathon by me this year the same day as NYC so I thought that could be a way in.

Wow with only 500 spots and how difficult it is to get into NY I'd guess it will be sold out in minutes.
Last year it was full in a few minutes. I got in, but I was clicking the link steadily before registrations opened, and I was the 42 entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter