NYC - Which airport?

Silvermist999

DIS Veteran
We want to do a quick 4 day trip to see the sights of NYC since our kids have never been. Which is the best airport to fly into, in terms of convenience. Any cons with flying into Newark? TIA!

I've always flown into JFK or LGA, with JFK always being my top preference.

Depends on the cost of flights, timing, and whether or not you are ok with public transportation. LGA is closest, but there is major construction going on. Getting a car service from Newark to Manhattan will be the most expensive, but there is a train. All 3 are among the worst airports in the country (and are by far the closest for us).

JFK is by far the best for public transportation. We used it our last time visiting NYC and we took the Long Island Railroad to Manhattan because we were in a hurry. On our return flight we had more time and took the subway, which was much cheaper and didn't take too long. NYC taxis has a flat rate to/from JFK, metered rates to/from LaGuardia, and several surcharges to Newark. Newark may be more convenient for someone with access to a personal car.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/taxi-fare.page
Newark has various ways to get to Manhattan by train including Amtrak or NJT, but those will be more expensive and not necessarily running on a frequent schedule unless it's commute hours.

Of course this is all assuming you're going to be staying in Manhattan. If you choose to stay somewhere else you may be closer or further away than the airports.

Depends on the cost of flights, timing, and whether or not you are ok with public transportation. LGA is closest, but there is major construction going on. Getting a car service from Newark to Manhattan will be the most expensive, but there is a train. All 3 are among the worst airports in the country (and are by far the closest for us).
I agree with this.

We (DW & I) just got back Friday from a four day trip. We flew into LGA because that was the easiest airport to get flights to from where we were coming from. I'm sure we could have arranged for JFK or EWR, but that would have involved a connection.

We used a car service to get to/from LGA to midtown. Traffic leaving LGA was awful (just getting off the airport grounds). It looked like when we returned the arrival side was backed up again.

We always use Newark. Honestly, stay away from LaGuardia for the next two years until construction is complete. It is really a nightmare there right now. Just read an article that says the traffic/parking/ride share p/u and drop offs are horrendous.

Stick to JFK or Newark

MJ

JFK all the way
LaGuardia is a nightmare. My dh refuses to use it for trips.
They just said here on the local metro news that Newark was rated the worst.

I would look at cost of flight and cost of getting into nyc (Manhattan). They all
Suck but timing and cost would be my determination.

I just saw Spider Man: Far from Home. It made Newark Airport seem like a run of the mill airport no better or worse than any other. However, I guess I've never driven in NYC area traffic before.

In order of preference: JFK, LGA, EWR.

Newark is last because we live in northeast Queens and it’s much further and way more expensive for us to get there.

I use JFK or EWR. Taxis from JFK are regulated for price to Manhattan. I heard you had to be more careful at EWR, but that may be different now. We always paid maybe a little more for a car from EWR, but not more than 10-20 dollars more. I use public transportation once I get there, but get a cab at first. Not riding the train with my luggage.

I lean to LGA but there is major construction going on, and have heard it makes getting out of airport diffucult.

We did the same trip, just a couple of weeks ago. Flew in and out of LGA and I was scared to death based on the horror stories. It wasn't bad. When we arrived meeting out Lyft in the correct place was confusing, but it figured itself out with communication. I would do it again.

No experience with the other two airports.

We used LGA in early May and it was fine. I arranged for a car service, so we didn’t have to take a shuttle to the taxi stand. We took a cab back to the airport and it was fine. We were on Delta. I will be in NY for one night in September and we are again flying into LGA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!