NYE 30th MK Fireworks

tvsdisney

Mouseketeer
We have reservations at the GF during the 6pm fireworks. These are different from Happily Ever After as there are no projections correct? Is it a better experience to see them in the MK vs the resort. (I'm fully expecting and prepared for crowd chaos) We've never been in the World for NYE just want to experiece it all. Thanks for any thoughts!

I haven't been but I've read and asked LOTS of places.

Apparently it is a different experience. We'll be inside for the 30th fireworks, and outside from the Contemporary on the actual 31st.

Both are recommended. You'll be more relaxed from outside than from inside, that's for sure!

We have reservations at the GF during the 6pm fireworks. These are different from Happily Ever After as there are no projections correct? Is it a better experience to see them in the MK vs the resort. (I'm fully expecting and prepared for crowd chaos) We've never been in the World for NYE just want to experiece it all. Thanks for any thoughts!

Not sure about projections, but Fireworks are much more expansive. Additional Fireworks are shot off further to the left and right of the castle (almost 180 degrees). We've actually watched from the Poly (which on NYE is for Poly guests only) that allows you to see the whole sky light up. I think at GF is a great choice, while being at the Park is always fun, the crowds will be overwhelming.

For 12/30 and 12/31, both the 6:30pm and 11:50pm shows are the “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks show which is immediately followed by a New Years “countdown” tag. There are no projections, only castle accent lighting changes.

Assuming they do the same thing this year that they did last year, the 6:30pm show is the “180 degree” version and 11:50pm is “360 degree” version. The only difference in the two is for the 11:50pm/360 degree version they shoot fireworks off from an island in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The fireworks shot here effectively simulcast/mirror those shot from the traditional behind the MK launch point.

For example, this is one of the “180 degree” segments from the 6:30pm show from Poly. If this were the 11:50pm you’d also see fireworks from the island just to the front/right in front of Poly.

To summarize, in my opinion the viewing of either show from places outside the park like GF is a valid alternative than being inside the park - just depends on your personal preference (and crowd tolerance level).

IMG_2848.jpg

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Last edited:

It’s pretty cool experiencing Dec 30 inside MK.
In the evening they have DJ’s playing in Frontierland, Tomorrowland and infront of the castle, it’s a completely different vibe in MK than any other time of the year.

I agree with this too. We watched the 12/30 6:30pm show from inside the park last year. It's fun/different when they crank up the music in the park... it's a party vibe you only get a couple of nights of the year.

So, the djs and party atmosphere will be duplicated on 12/30 in the park as well? I knew the fireworks were the same as 12/31 but I didn’t realize that everything was an exact duplicate. That’s awesome!

Will they still do the holiday castle lighting these two nights?

Is there anywhere you can watch the 12/30 fireworks outside the park besides the Contemporary with a reservation at CG?

Last edited:
So, the djs and party atmosphere will be duplicated on 12/30 in the park as well? I knew the fireworks were the same as 12/31 but I didn’t realize that everything was an exact duplicate. That’s awesome!

Will they still do the holiday castle lighting these two nights?

Yes (assuming it's the same as last year) the DJ/party atmosphere in the MK happens both 12/30 and 12/31. I can't exactly remember what time they 'start' the party.... I know we were in the Hub on 12/30 waiting for the 6:30pm fireworks last year listening to "Feels" by Pharrell Williams & Katy Perry... because I remember thinking "this isn't something you hear in the MK every day!"

Last year, A Frozen Holiday Wish (castle lighting) was done at 6pm both 12/30 & 12/31.

Thank you! Sounds really fun. If it’s overwhelming for us, will any of the monorail resorts allow access on 12/30?

Thank you! Sounds really fun. If it’s overwhelming for us, will any of the monorail resorts allow access on 12/30?
I assume you mean without a reservation of some sort?
The viewing areas at the given resorts will be for Resort guests only.
You can park at TTC and watch from there

One year we went to the lounge at the poly and then walked on the beach with our drinks. Do you think that will be allowed? Or with a reservation at Kona? We usually do California Grill but couldn’t get it this time.

One year we went to the lounge at the poly and then walked on the beach with our drinks. Do you think that will be allowed? We would be technically dining at the poly.
Things have changed year to year so what you did in the past is likely of no bearing to what they'll do now. If they are checking MB (which is what they often do), probably not. They've also done like they do at SAB at YC/BC and given out wristbands, which you'd also not be able to get. So, either way, if they are checking then you won't be allowed. Just being there because you had a drink appears to them no different than someone who just hopped off the monorail and walked up. Your band won't show any reservation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter