NYE at MK, First DVC Stay at Poly, Rise of the Resistance and Much More 12/30/19 - 1/6/20 TRIP Report. Updated 1/14/2020

avincent

Earning My Ears
Hi we just got back from a 7 day split stay over New Years and beyond. I love reading people’s trip reports and learning about their experiences, wait times, restaurants etc. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in hearing about ours we had some old experiences but many firsts on this trip which was our 9th since 2010 and my 10th overall.

This trip included DM (me)
favorites include:
Park: MK
Ride: Tower of Terror
Restaurant: Ohana
Fun Fact: Fireworks on Main Street with my kiddos make me cry everytime!

DH:
Park: MK
Ride: Safari or People Mover
Fun Fact: He has terrible motion sickness and we say he uses the “daddy” pass but sometimes toughs a few rides out for the joy of the kids.

DS (16)
Park : HS
Ride: RNR
Fun Fact: He is my oldest and behind the big jock exterior loves all the characters and still wants their autographs.

DS (14)
Park: AK
Ride: Expedition Everest
Fun Fact: Loves Manatees and could sit and watch the Manatees at Epcot’s for hours.

DS (9)
Park: Epcot (Probably really HS but says Epcot for the big “golf ball” and to be different)
Ride: RNR
Restaurant: Chef Mickeys
Fun Fact: He is 9, whenever everyone agrees on a plan be prepared for him to want to do the complete opposite! Lol
Also really loves Spaceship Earth🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Definitely interested in reading - particularly dining adventures! Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

I was there around the same time 12/28 to 1/4, and I was thinking about writing a report as well. They are so helpful for planning, and I felt there weren't that many that covered the craziness around New Years. Interested to see how our trips compare.

So let me start this trip report off by saying that I started planning this trip last year as soon as we got back from our short 2 park “Christmas Trip” the week before Christmas 2018. We always like to go to Disney every year but some years have been longer than others and with buying a new house last year we could only do the Christmas party but at the last minute decided to add a day at Hollywood Studios. We decided to do all things “ Christmas” so having a short trip we obviously missed out on all our other favorites and Disney fever kicked in by January. So in February I got the idea to try to book the Polynesian through renting points. Our reservation came back and a week later we had a 5 night stay from January 1st thru the 6th. It was our dream resort, this was going to be one big shebang and wouldn’t it be great to spend NYE at the Magic Kingdom? While I could not afford a deluxe for those nights I booked 2 nights at the All Star Sports we were going to Disney for 7 days, our longest trip ever!!

I say this to say for a trip that I had a year to plan this was the worst planned trip of all. I thought we have all year to pay and we are going to do dessert parties and dinner shows and anything we want..well you know what they say about best laid plans..😂. All year went by and we had one emergency after another and didn’t pay on our trip by November I was starting to panic. The only thing I knew for sure was we had our Polynesian stay payed for. We had purchased 4 day tickets and we were told we could upgrade by phone but then when I called to do this was told no you can’t do it by phone but you can do it in person and it would be more than the original quote. I didn’t like it but after talking to 3 people I realized this was how it was going to be and the original agent was wrong. So for 2 days of our trip we had no fast passes and no real plans.

Day 1
I watched flights for months but nothing really cheap out of Knoxville for the day I was leaving ever materialized. After much debate I found a $18.00 flight on Frontier out of Atlanta and took it. The flight left at 2:59 it is a 3.5 hour drive from our house..no problem right? 😂

The problem with vacationing around the holidays is sometimes you have family you are trying to make time to see so of course we added a quick breakfast with my sister and her family before they dropped us off to get our free rental we had such little time with them the past couple of days. So 9:15 we are on our way to Atlanta. We can do this. My brother lives in Chattanooga and of course I have a few minutes to stop and see him and his family on our way through since we didn’t see them for Christmas. It is 11:15 and we are pulling out of the Chick-fil-A in Chattanooga..we are fine, there is never any traffic in Atlanta right? 🤞Well there is traffic and I am watching the time and watching the miles and trying not to show fear to my family but secretly freaking out. But alas we make it to the airport and drop the car. Anyone ever notice how big Atlanta airport is? I get to the counter and drop the bag whew we made the first deadline the agent thanks me and tells me oh your flight is on time in fact they are going to start boarding early like in 15 minutes. I thank her and say great, it is great, everything is great, we’ve got this!! Cue me freaking out inside because there is a huge security line..why do I do this to myself, my parents always taught me to be early!! But we make it to our gate and we may or may not have been among the last 10 people to board the plane but we made and we are off! Our plane pulls into the gate at 4:15 and after bathroom breaks and dodging all the holiday crowds at the airport we make it to the Magical Express line at 4:40. There is only one other family there and no buses waiting outside, not sure if we just missed some depart but I think I was expecting there to be crowds lined up. It seemed like we waited longer for a bus this time but maybe were really lucky before. I know there is great debate on whether it is faster to Uber or Minnie Van from the airport but we bypassed the luggage and we loaded the bus by 4:50, we left the airport at 5:10and were walking into the resort at 5:35 after one stop at the Coronado Springs. To me the extra money is probably not worth it but I know that is a personal choice. I looked to see if our rooms was ready once on the bus and had gotten no notice so I checked in online again (I had done this days before) 5 minutes later I got a message our room was ready and we got the touchdown building which my kids love. We were on the backside which was really nice for the noise and right by the side next to the main building it was shaping up great. After a few moments of rest we were off to the parks.
We talked to the kids and said let’s wing this, we were either going to go to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios we said whichever bus pulls up first that is where we would go, they loved this idea. Which parks did we go to....

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo

Day 1 continued
Which bus showed up...Animal Kingdom!!
Secretly this was the one I was hoping for because I could not get FOP as a fast pass even 60 days out and I knew the only chance for the kids to ride it was before closing.

So after a lot of stress and a moment I thought I might cry over mix up with our tickets 35 minutes and a manager later we leave guest services with a 6 day ticket with an added water park day. It wasn’t what I intended to get but the manager did the best she could to match the pricing I was quoted and she gave us 3 fast passes not good on FOP. It was about 7:20 by this time and AK was open until 11:00. When I walked in the park I was still very upset with the encounter and AK is very dark at night, there were people everywhere and I was disoriented as to where we were in the park. Was I over estimating by ability to deal with the crowds?

I pull myself together we are here as a family and we are on vacation at our favorite place. We did not have dinner reservations because I booked Whispering Canyon and although my kids really like that restaurant they wanted to head to the parks. The plan was to do a counter service. We walked by a couple with really long lines on our way to Expedition Everest when we go by Yak and Yeti and I stop to ask if they have anything available for 5 she says yes but about a hour wait. (It should be noted that no reservations were available on the app) I ask if we have to stay in the restaurant and she said no come back by this time. Great we are off to ride Expedition Everest. The one thing I found this week is be prepared to wait in line even if you have a fast pass. The fast pass lines were very long compared to our trips in the past. I would say 15-30 minutes consistently all week. After riding EE twice we head back to the restaurant where we waited about 5 minutes before being seated. This was our first time at this restaurant and unfortunately we didn’t order a really diverse dinner. Three of us had the Korean Beef with fried rice and one had the Korean Fried Chicken with fried rice, the youngest had the Stir Fry noodles. The food was good, it had alittle kick to it but not bad and we had some left over to take back. I had read reviews on this restaurant being cold and I thought “what an odd comment” I did notice it was cool but my oldest was sitting across from me and had long sleeves on and maybe he was under a vent but mentioned several times he was really cold. I have to say the food was good, our server was good, and the restaurant was themed well. The only negative I felt was that it is a “Landry” restaurant and maybe because we were not on the dining plan and we had no discounts our waiter kept trying to sell us the Landry card and asked us several times, something about this made it feel less “Disney” to me, but other than that I would come back and the portion sizes are large. Our bill was around 120.00 for 5 people.
When we walk out of the restaurant I feel like there is less people around we ride Kali River Rapids and then head to Dinosaur, the youngest wants to ride Primeval Whirl but I forgot they don’t take fast passes (The line is not long but the kids want to get in line for FOP and I am not sure when they cut off the line) so we should have used the last fp at EE instead of getting in the single rider line and waiting 25 minutes. We get out of line at PW and talk to the CMs they say they are not sure when they cutoff the line at FOP and tell us the shortest way to get there. We head to FOP and get in line at 10:35 the posted wait time is 140 minutes. Are we really going to wait 2 hours and 20 minutes for this ride? We get in line hoping for the best. We have never rode this ride. We didn’t know what to expect with the queue and kept winding around and around with hope we were at the end but finally after waiting 1 hour and 5 minutes it was our turn to ride. We loved it! I care nothing about Pandora but this ride is great and breathtaking and my husband that has motion sickness even liked it. We got off the ride and strolled through an empty park and was back in the room by 12:15 with our luggage already in the room. It seemed we had packed a lot in our first day! So yes the wait times were exaggerated.. will this be a trend for the week?

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo

Definitely interested in reading - particularly dining adventures! Can’t wait to hear about your trip!
I know I love reading about the different restaurants. We didn’t eat as many buffets or character meals like we usually do but did a few different things.

I was there around the same time 12/28 to 1/4, and I was thinking about writing a report as well. They are so helpful for planning, and I felt there weren't that many that covered the craziness around New Years. Interested to see how our trips compare.
It was crazy wasn’t it? Lol I was prepared for the crowds up until after New Years but I hoped they would slow down afterwards..no such luck on our part.

Day 2 NYE at MK:
Let me say that spending the New Years at MK has always been a bucket list item of mine, I know it will be crazy and I know there will being millions of people but I am excited!! That being said I know what I am about to say will go against anything anyone has ever said about NYE at MK. “Go early and be prepared to stay” is the advice I had always heard but I had no interest in doing this because I knew my kids would not make it all day and we really wanted to stay until midnight. I had debated back and forth what time I wanted to to the MK, I really love the Christmas parade and the last showing was at 2:00 that day so I set all of our fast passes after 2:00 with the intent on getting there for the parade. We started off the morning sleeping in but something about Disney makes me the first riser which is not like that at home. I woke up around 8:30 that morning and my husband soon followed. He is a caffeine addict so we were off to buy a cup and get him some caffeine in him, we left the kids sleeping and headed down to the food court. One thing I have to say about the holidays at the resort is while the parks may be busy the resort was very quiet (It was the same way when we were there on Christmas Eve) we decided to split an omelet and buy our cup when we were standing in line and noticed the cup was cracked so when we went through the line we showed the cashier and the manager was talking to her, they thanked us for bringing it to them and gave us our cup for free as a courtesy for our trouble (no trouble for us but always nice to save $20.00!!) The All Star food court is not the best food in the world so we don’t usually eat here a lot but the omelette was $10.99 and came with potatoes it was good for a morning snack. We realized we had left our bag with the toiletries in it at home so off to spend that $20.00 in the gift shop on toothpaste and deodorant! It was a very pleasant morning and we went back to the room and my 9 year old was ready to swim. Lol it was in the 60’s so not quite warm. It was around 9:30 so I told him to wait until 11:00. They went off to play football on the football field which is one of their favorite things to do while the hubby and I rested in the room. Soon they wanted to swim so we all went off to the pool. It seemed to be a relaxed day at the resort with people hanging in their pjs either not planning on doing anything or getting a late start. The kids swam and then we went to feed them with the family pizza deal at the food court for lunch, $29.99 and comes with bread sticks and a salad. When we got back to the room the kids said they wanted to wait until later to go to the MK. I looked on the MDE and tried to move around our fast passes but nothing we had was still available so I told them we needed to keep our plans and get ready to head to the park.
The whole time in planning this vacation I worried about how long we would have to sit and traffic and wait to get to the MK. I can’t remember exactly what time we made it to the bus stop but we waited a few minutes for a bus that was not crowded and then we were off, I did see the bus on a different road that was bypassing all the traffic lined up to get into the MK. It was definitely long but not miles like I had seen in photos. We got to the MK and basically walked right up to the scanners with less crowds than we would experience all week. I can hear the music from the parade going on and we make it in MK at 2:15 right as the parade is about to make it to the end of Main Street. We stop on the steps in front of Tony’s to watch and boy did we find the crowds!!

You hear about the crowds but I can honestly say I have NEVER seen the lines for all the attractions as long as they were. I have felt crowded at WDW and the crowd for the fireworks back in October a few years ago might have rivaled the crowdedness feeling but have never seen the lines for Pirates stretch out to the Tiki room and that is just one example. Our first fp was for the Jungle Cruise and the line for it with fast pass was out of the building. About that time we got a message on our phones that said they were not letting anyone else in MK. It said it came out at 1:00pm but we didn’t get it until around 3:00pm. I know this is why people say go early but I had also read the phase of closures and knew we would be among the last to not be let in because we were resort guests with multi day tickets, fast passes, and dining reservations. We waited about 20 minutes with our fp to ride Jungle Cruise and then we were off to our next one which was Splash Mountain. I think the wait time for Jungle Cruise, Splash and Pirates were all about 2 hours at this point. We walked around just kind of marveling at how many people were here but not too worried because this was just our fun day and we knew we had more time the rest of the trip to do rides. We waited about 10 minutes for Splash Mountain with the fp and the we saw Chip and Dale without a huge line so my oldest wanted to get in line for them. We probably waited 20 minutes or so no more than a usual day for characters all the while Face Timing family showing off the crowds. We started seeing a lot of people with their party hats and horns so we were off to find those and found them at the back end of Frontierland (I noticed on this day they open a lot of the backstage stuff which makes it a lot easier to navigate the crowds) we stopped to see the bears at Country Bear Jamboree with no wait. When we got out they were starting the music up in Frontierland and the park was definitely getting a festive vibe. We had dinner reservations at the Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:15 and it was about 4:50 by this time so we have never been to the Hall of Presidents so we decided to pop in there to kill a few minutes. We had no wait and in fact I wish I had more time to look in the lobby of this attraction because it is truly beautiful. I enjoyed this attraction a lot more than I expected to and even my kids liked it. We were finding ways to sit and entertain ourselves without having to wait on attractions we normally skip over. By this time it is exactly our reservation time so I check in at LTT and she said it is about a 20 minute wait with a reservation so we all head to the restroom. If you have been to this restaurant you realize that they only have a small bathroom so there was a wait nothing like the wait outside for the restrooms.
They end up calling our party before we all make it back but they seat them anyway. I did hear the “announcement” of your party and it is cute. We had ate here on one of our first trips but I didn’t remember a lot about it. It is family style and they bring you pork, turkey, and pot roast along with mashed potatoes, stuffing, Mac and cheese, and green beans. Dessert is ooey gooey cake with ice cream which is sort of like a blonde brownie imo. I felt like we sat for a few minutes before our waitress acknowledged us and the it took a few more minutes to get drinks and the first round of food. When I looked at the first platter of meat I though there is no way that will feed all these boys so I quickly asked her for more pot roast and pork so we wouldn’t be waiting for along time. That was probably a mistake because while we were waiting on the food they brought out rolls and salad and you don’t realize how full you get until you start eating a few bites. This was a good meal, it is not exotic and there are no characters but the food tasted good and you can eat as little or as much as you want. It was 188.00 for the 5 of us (39.00 per adult 21.00 for kids) considering it came with a drink and dessert it wasn’t outrageous by Disney standards. By the time we left it was 6:30 (I was still in the restaurant waiting on the bathroom) but the hubby and kids made it out on the steps in time for the fireworks, I made it by the end. I know everyone likes to stop and watch on Main Street but you could see them great from Liberty Square. This is where it gets hectic, they have stuff roped off and basically sending everyone in one direction ( still not sure which direction that is) but basically you can only go back around through Fantasy land not Frontierland or Adventureland. It is dark and shoulder to shoulder people. I thought to myself there is no way I could push a stroller or a scooter through these crowds. We stop and do Mickeys Philharmagic with about a 15 -20 minute wait because they say they have to reopen the attraction after the fireworks (which I did not know). After that we head for our fast pass at Space Mountain. My husband does not do this ride so we send the kids off to ride because frankly I ride everything but Space Mountain I have to be in the mood for. The fast pass line was backed up to the speedway! I think they waited for about 40 minutes with the fp while my husband and I went over to do Carousel of Progress which we did actually wait maybe 5 minutes and then we went to relax and watch the dance party. It was about 9:30 and this was the part of the night I started dragging. Maybe because of the big meal or maybe because you are not going from attraction to attraction but I thought I am going to need some caffeine. The kids meet up with us and I drag them over to dance to a couple of songs. We sort of hang out watching people and enjoy the music before heading over to Monsters Laugh Floor. The line is definitely longer than we usually see and we wait maybe a couple of shows but not too bad maybe 20 minutes. We go to get in line for the people mover but after standing in line and it not moving we noticed the escalator is broke (again) so we get out of line and head to Buzz it says a 60 minute wait but we only waited 17 minutes. The people mover was up and going so we hoped back in line and a after about 10 minutes got to ride. About this time it was around 11:15 so I thought we should head to Main Street and check out if there was anywhere to stand my plan was the train station. They had the backstage area open and were sending you to Main Street via backstage behind Buzz which made things a lot easier and you bypassed all the crowd. We went to the bathroom on Main Street and for the first time there was no line. We headed over to the confectionary for snacks and the headed up to the train station. Well forget that plan they had it marked off for media and filming but we did have a great chat with a cast member from our home town that notices my sons football shirt and it was his alma mater also. So we sat on the curb outside of Tony’s listening to the music and dancing along. I was perfectly content to sit there but about 11:50 my son said he wanted to be on Main Street so we get up and squeeze into the back of the crowd by the Christmas tree where you can see the castle and wait. The fireworks are great and then the countdown and Auld Lang Syne (which always gets to me) with snow falling on Mainstreet with my kiddos is truly a moment I will always treasure. #NO REGRETS
After the song and all the fireworks are done we are at the end of Main Street so we quickly try to make it to the bus expecting the worst but the bus is there we are on it and back at the resort at 12:30!!

My advice to people about NYE at MK is go and have fun but don’t go to accomplish rides. The lines for everything including bathrooms and food are outrageous. One person shared their experience with me that they went at 5pm and had a dinner reservation and made their 3 fast passes and then enjoyed the atmosphere that is the exactly what I would do if I had to do it over again. But again you have to make sure if that is your plan that you are on-site with dining and fast passes so you don’t have to worry so much about the phase closures and honestly if they get to the last one you don’t want to be there. 😂

* Although a note on that a lot of people we talked to that were there for NYE were not resort guest and had come for the day. We ran into a lot of locals.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter