NYE Fireworks at IOA were aweful compared to any other year or show...what happened?

jonathansullivan

DIS + IOA Veteran
I would love to hear from those who were in IOA New Years Eve for the fireworks, and have been there for prior holiday shows.

I would also love to hear from our IOA insiders...what happened? Was there a major technical screwup, or did the show go off with out a hitch, and it was design?

One of the things that has most impressed me about Universal Orlando is the INCREDIBLE FIREWORKS SHOW that they do for New Years, which tops everything they do all year (which is still awesome)...

In the past, all 3 parks were synched to one soundtrack, and all 3 lagons shot off the same show, and the parimeter shot off the big stuff. This created an unbelievable 360 degree show that mezmorizes you and thrills you with a moving musical score.

All I can say is, what happened?

Like usual, the count down began with each of the 10 being really small shots on the lagon. Everybody celebrates the new year to the traditional song, and wonders...was that it...of course not this is Universal Orlando!

Then the show starts...well normally. Most people thought that the fireworks that are displayed from another venue to the rear of the park (anyone know who's display that is?) was our show.

The music began, and some green lights came on the lagoon, and we sat there for half a song...From my perspective (just behind Green Eggs & Ham) I turned around to see some big stuff going at USF. Finally some things started to fire on our lagoon. The music was quieter than the normal "theme music" and was very difficult to hear over the explosions. From what I could hear, it did feel right for what we were seeing.

Nothing ever went off together with USF (like it was 2 different shows) and I never really saw anything from Citywalk (did they have a show?)

The best way I can describe it is, it was like many of the "shows" you see in cities where it is just the fireworks that are the show, no music, etc.

The other thing that always thrilled me was the synched Finale. In the past, the ENTIRE sky (from in park perspecitive) was COMPLETELY LIGHT UP WHITE...This year appeared very weak, and only from IOA.

So here is what I am basically trying to say, while the fireworks were pretty, they were aweful in the scope of what we have come to expect from Univeresal Orlando. I just want to know was it difficulties or design. If this is there 'new' blowout show...send it back where it came from, and I plan on talking to every guests relations person I can come across. (and as far up as i can go too).

If however it was just a catastrophic technical failure, I can and will understand that, and will wait for the next big show (July 4).

IMO this years 12/31 show was not intended to resemble anything from 7/4 or previous years.

One other thing universal is good at is destroying preconceived notions

I went there for the MYTHOS food and fun and the fireworks were secondary to me. we sat in MYTHOS eating our dessert while the fireworks were going on. :smooth:

I didn't think they were that bad, not as good as last years though. I enjoyed staying late despite the fireworks anyway.

To those who were there, could you hear the music?

Also, anyone who was in USF? How were they over there?

I definitely agree that Universal Orlando is well known for blowing away pre-conceived ideas, but in the past they have always "exceeded expectation"

This show was far inferior to the show they do on late eves in the summer and throughout the year.

So spill it: How was the food & deserts at Mythos???

I was right infront of one of the speakers. Every so often I could hear something but not too much. I heard the countdown and the start of the fireworks.

The two shows were were very different. The show at USF was incredible, with the finale themed to ET as it should be. Then again I had an aewsome, awesome view.

IMHO Universal Studios fireworks were far better than IOA's this past Summer. We stayed at HRH and had a great view of most of Universal Studio's (did not go inside park that day as we arrived to HRH late) and we were really psyched to see IOA's the next evening.
IOA would seemingly be a great arena to have a fireworks show with all of the Islands as backdrops but the show they put on mostly was on the lagoon and created so much smoke that you could not see much after the first few minutes. And what was shot off was pretty lame too. I've put on better shows with stuff from my local fireworks stand. During IOA's Fireworks we found ourselves looking towards Universal Studios trying to catch a glimpse of their much better Fireworks display and wishing that we had been there instead.
Does anyone know whether or not IOA's terrible Fireworks display has anything to do with the neighborhoods nearby IOA?
HAVE FUN

Originally posted by jonathansullivan

So spill it: How was the food & deserts at Mythos???

as most all MYTHOS food and desserts are: simply outstanding. I have to give the edge this time to the main course with soup as second and dessert at third. :smooth:

IMO we have been kind of spoiled by the extravagant fireworks displays everywhere due to 21st century occuring. I think what we saw at IOA was more in line with the normal changing of the year and the tightness of budgets due to the low attendence that has now gone on for 4 months. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter