Occupancy issues with renting home or townhouse?

mamato3girls

Mouseketeer
Just curious if anyone has run into this issue. We are looking to go with another family. In total we would have 11 (4 adults and 7 kids- 11, 10, 9, 6, 5, 3, 3). The two 3 year olds are my twins, they will sleep with my husband and I. The 5 year old is our friends youngest who would also prefer to sleep with them. The 3 older are our older girls who would prefer to probably share a room and then the 6 year old is ours who would sleep on our floor likely. We are finding lots of houses and townhomes that say occupancy of 8 (3 or 4 bedrooms). Logistically I know we would have more than enough room but we were concerned there may be issues when we checking at the guard shack with our numbers. I know about fire codes and all that but still with kids this age we just don't need anymore space (we are all Disney open to close people so it would really just be a place to crash at the end of the day). We are looking at properties at Windsor Hills. Any experience rom anyone? We definitely don't want to get there and have them turn us away.

I can't answer for where you are going, but we have a home in a Florida community where there are active rentals. There are actually two levels of occupancy. The owners determine the number of beds so they may say "sleeps 6" because they have beds for two in all three bedrooms. The owner has determined that is all the people they want in their home. The community says that size home can hold 8 ... because they will allow for a sofa bed, and because it is the occupancy LAW in rental units.

The stated occupancy for your unit may be what the owners want to offer or it may be the maximum allowed by law. Knowing our 3 bedrooms legally allow 8, it may be the legal occupancy in a 4 bedroom is 10 ... which still doesn't help your numbers. I would do more research on the community, maybe talk to the rental company about your situation for suggestions.

I would think if you show up with too many, and they object, you could be without a place to stay and out your money.

Last edited:
I would say you need to book a place at which you fit the listed occupancy. Otherwise you are taking a chance on being turned away.

I've actually seen this thing on an afternoon court show. The judge was very stern with the people who over-filled their unit. Also, it is rude to the people who's unit you are renting. 11 people are more wear and tear than 8.

Don't try to convince yourself otherwise. Go by the listed occupancy. It may be that you have to rent 2 smaller units.

All of the above advise is excellent. I would suspect the owners are insured and licensed for a specific number of guests and exceeding that violates those terms which could put them in jeopardy.

In our rental experience we were required to agree to a set of terms and conditions set forth by the owner. Violating the terms would probably be cause for eviction and forfeiture of your payments and security deposits. Many of the WH properties have camera systems and the owner or manager could easily see who and how many are coming and/or going. If it were me, I woudn't take a chance without approval from the owner.

Windsor Hills does have 5 and 6 bedroom houses for rent. You might want to check some of those out since the max occupancy should be higher for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter