October 2019 Car Rental Thread

Over the last 10 years, we have rented from Alamo (75% of the time, at least), Dollar and Budget. Budget is the only agency we have had problems with in all of those rentals (once, telling us that they couldn't honor our pre-booked reservation because they ran out of cars.....it was Christmas week). They have sunk to the bottom of our list as a result.

It was such a mess. They only had one girl at the counter in the garage and even though we had Fastbreak and everything filled out as much as possible before hand (I was hoping for the same experience we have with Alamo) we still had to wait in the line of about 5 families who had been there a very long time already. After a good 45 minutes just waiting to get to the window we finally get to the car and go to leave the gate only to find out they had done the paperwork incorrectly at the counter so *every* single* car* had to return to the counter while the one agent fixed things. It was a solid 60-90 minutes. By the end all the waiting families had a sort of camaraderie and were congratulating anyone who 'made it out' with a car. LOL.

Meanwhile, my dad who rented thru Alamo (and didn't bail to save 7$ like we did :rolleyes1 )was to the rental house a good hour and a half before us.

I had a really bad Budget at MCO counter experience years ago and have never used them at MCO since. I do use them elsewhere, and now have Fast Break. I have seen slow FastBreak lines at other airports, but nothing as bad as my previous MCO issues. I love Alamo skip the counter.

Being Canadian, we sometimes use AirMiles for car rentals, and usually the cheapest deal is Budget. You get what you pay for.

Had issues both times using Budget at MCO. Both were Saturday nights, so if you have to use the counter in-terminal, the line is 45m-1h long. Most of the slowness of the line was caused by their system of very slowly looking up available cars to assign to people in the order they walk up, rather than things being assigned based on the reservation. Then also slowed down a bit by guests who hadn't thought things through ("what do you mean I can't use my prepaid Visa for the credit card security hold!?" -Actual person holding up line).

First time was fine, got assigned the fullsize I had booked. A couple days later, merging on I-4 to head to Tampa and TPMS light comes on. Pull over next exit and sure enough there was a slow-moderate air leak on one tire, and a bulge in the sidewall as well. Tires weren't in the best shape in general to be honest, despite only about 9000 miles on the car. Had to keep topping it up every two days for the rest of the trip. To Budget's credit, when we returned the car and explained the issues (and the coins spent on non-free Florida tire air... seriously how is free air not the law everywhere? It's a safety thing) we had a $40 credit issued to our card for our trouble.

Second time, Saturday night again, same long line. This time they were out of our fullsize. Four out of five counters were waiting for agents to pick cars in the computer that worked for them. No, I'm not taking a Kia Soul when I paid for a fullsize. No, I'm not paying $8/day more on a 7 day rental for a Dodge Journey. No, a Mazda CX-3 is even smaller than a Soul. Finally she offered a Jeep Grand Cherokee and we stood firm on no $8/day upgrade charge. It's not our fault they were out of our car. We get the Grand Cherokee and I do my walkaround. The car is good, but the rear tires were pretty bald. On the way out of the garage, I tell the attendant that it was fine for me but they'd need to order two new tires before it went back out to the next guest. In a Florida rainstorm, someone could easily hydroplane and flip the damn thing. Pretty sure they didn't even note that on the file though as when I returned it, I mentioned the tires again and was just blown off. Guy even argued with me when I suggested someone before me could have been doing burnouts with it because it's rear-wheel-drive; he insisted it was 4x4. The base rental spec ones aren't, no 4x4 badging or interior control.

So I'm not going to tell anyone not to rent from Budget if it's the best deal and makes sense for them. Just go in eyes-open. Check the tires and put your safety first, because they won't.

I just rebooked to save another $1.20 😂

But if I can do this once a day for the next 10 fats that’s equal to two Disney cupcakes 🧁

FWIW we have had a few bad experiences with Alamo so as much as I’ll miss picking my own car out from the aisle, I’m happy to go with budget. Clearly everyone’s experiences vary drastically.

Well, its looking less and less likely that there will be any more drops in rental rates before our travel date (we are currently 18 days from arrival in Orlando). I'm considering doing the online check-in and getting one more thing off my to-do list. I am very happy with our rate ($222 for a standard SUV, 7+ days with a free second driver) and beat my target of $250, so any additional rate declines would just have been a happy bonus at this point.

Everyone with early October trips: have a GREAT time! Happy vacations to each of you!

Yay, picked up the car yesterday, and used my ressie from two weeks ago, as that was the best deal I had found. Though a bit higher than I had at the same time, same number of days last year.

Standard row was full of white cars as far as you could see, at 8:30 am yesterday. Alamo was easy, and I was out of the airport in less than 10 minutes. Most of that time was deciding which car to take. And no, was not one of those mini vans in the line either. Camry for me, as there was a few, and there was also mostly Ford cars, and a couple of Kias, with one VW.

Hoping all will have as good a luck getting out if the garages quick.

Well, its looking less and less likely that there will be any more drops in rental rates before our travel date (we are currently 18 days from arrival in Orlando). I'm considering doing the online check-in and getting one more thing off my to-do list. I am very happy with our rate ($222 for a standard SUV, 7+ days with a free second driver) and beat my target of $250, so any additional rate declines would just have been a happy bonus at this point.

Everyone with early October trips: have a GREAT time! Happy vacations to each of you!
It looks like my rate has probably also bottomed out already. I ended up with $277 for 11 days with Dollar; they choose the car category.

Just checked again with Alamo. 2 weeks to go and the current price is $150 more than we have reserved for a week. Not expecting to see another drop.

Check budget rates for upcoming dates if you haven’t already. They dropped tonight compared to the last week or so. My existing rate is still about $5 less but this is pretty low.

I need a car Oct 15th (9:30am pick up) to Oct 18th (5:30pm drop off), any suggestions for offers or what day this week to book? its just for 2 adults so we are not picky!

Just looked at Alamo for our trip in 2 weeks and the prices are even higher than they had been. About $180 higher for the week than what we reserved.

Last edited:
Gina,
Please post what type of vehicles that you find in the STD SUV aisle for Alamo.

Hey there!

We picked up our rental yesterday. Got a Toyota Highlander (the only one of those on the standard SUV aisle).

There were also the following models: Nissan Murano, Ford Edge, Jeep Sahara, Dodge Journey, Kia Sorento.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter