October trip with 17 yr. old severe nonverbal autism son.Tips??

MommySue

Earning My Ears
:confused3 hello...I have began posting on these disboards, and I totally love them. We are planning a dw vacation in October and I have 3 boys with special needs, and need suggestions PLEASE!!~ My 17 year old son has severe nonverbal autism and adhd. My 13 year old has adhd and bipolar. My 6 year old has adhd and speech delays. Can any of you wonderful supportive informative members give me suggestions about doing DW for 6 days with these wonderful yet challenging children? Any tips would be totally appreciated! Thank you in advance! :wave2:

I have no personal exp. to offer...but only a suggestion that you make your needs aware to your hotel when you check in...and that you stop by guest services upon entering each park. They will be able to assist you with whatever questions you may have and offer some suggestions. You know your children best. If this is a first trip - I think I would (as a mom) consider getting one of those Disney videos that show the park etc. so that the children will be familiar with what to expect. Disney can be very overwhelming even for those without special needs. It can be visually and auditorily overloading.
Think back to how your boys have handled crowded/noisey situations in the past (like a mall at Christmas time) and that may give you some inkling as to how they will react at WDW.
Also- be sure to voice any needs you have to CMs as you enter various attractions so that they can better serve your needs.

WDW in October is perfect. It is usually warm, but not hot and the crowds are less. :)

Staying on the property is really nice. Port Orleans Riverside has rooms which can accommodate 5 people (with one child on the trundle bed). There are several pools. The food court can be noisy. I just picked up my food and took it to the quieter outdoor tables.

Look into getting a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) and using the Fastpasses if your sons have trouble waiting in crowded lines. You won't be able to "go to the front of the line" but may be able to wait outside of the crowd.

Most importantly, don't try to see it all at once. Take time to enjoy whatever your family likes best. :banana: :wizard:

Make sure you let the resort know of any special needs you may have. You can go to guest services at the first park you go to and get a guest assist card. Guest services can set it up for your whole stay there is no need to visit each and every guest services each day. Be sure to purchase your tickets ahead of time so there is no wait in the ticket lines. I usually recommend the packages. Practice with the children being around larger groups and allowing the children to get used to being around more people. I also recommend going over with the children what to do if you get seperated in the parks. Give them key things to look for... the name tag the castmembers wear are a good thing to key on. Also any sit down dining you want to go ahead and schedule ahead of time this will limit the wait at the restraunts AND you will be guaranteed someplace to sit. Make sure any dining reservations indicate any allergies the children may have.

First of all -
God Bless YOU! Your boys are very lucky to havce you!

Disney has just started free dining ending Sept 30 (as check in date) This would save you a SIGNIFICANT amount of $$, any chance of going a tad bit earlier? The Halloween party begins 9/28 I believ so you would still be able to do that!
What types of enviornments do your boys do well in? Quiet or stimulating? Do they need room to spread out or are they ok a bit cramped? You will be cramped at POR, but it is a beautiful resort, quiet, spread out, and GREAT water slides! At POR you can also take a boat to its sister resort POFQ which has an amazing pool slide! We loved both! Also - from POR you can take a boat to DTD.
If space is more important - you may consider two Value rooms, so there is space to retreat if necessary.
How are they with eating? WDW is wonderful, but for picky eaters - you MUST plan your food way in advance - or you will be stuck with three hungry miserable kiddos! WE did mostly buffets thinking that would offer greater variety, but in fact they did not. I would go to
www.allearsnet.com
and research the menus. I found Le Cellier, Kona Cafe, Spoodle's,and The Concourse Steakhouse to have the most varied menu for us. You would not believ how hard it is to get a simple grilled cheese or plate of spaghetti in DW! I would make planing your restaurants an absolute priority.
Do stop at town hall in WDW and request a GAC for your boys, it is invaluable. Ask if you are not familiar with the GAC!
If you think you or your boys would need to easily escape the parks, you may want to consider a monorail resort. More $$, but worth it if that is a necessity.
Tell us more - what do your boys enjoy? What are their particular challenges (crowds, noise,eating etc.) I would be more than happy to help you plan! I love planning! My oldest ds is autistic, my second has sensory/eating issues, so I know where you are coming from!

forgot to add - for your 6 year old I would rent a stroller, they are big and roomy, and he will not have to play so much catch up to the big guys! It is exhausting for little ones! In case you are worried there are lots of older kids in strollers. This also will give you better control over where your ds all are - hard to hold everyone's hand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter