October visit

kiwitinkerbell

kiwigirl
hi all, we have only ever visited wdw in January but may be meeting up with friends from the UK (we are coming from New Zealand) this early October. I would be very grateful if anyone who visits wdw during October could please tell us what to expect during this time (weather wise and crowds etc) also would love any tips on visiting at this time. I will do some research and search these threads too. Thanks in advance.

We typically love visiting in October. The temperatures are comfortably warm (without humidity). The crowds are typically manageable. However, this year, with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Fall, we are uncertain of how that will effect crowds, so we are actually skipping our usual October visit. There are wonderful Fall events though, such as EPCOT's Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time.

We are also concerned with Star Wars opening. All of our previous October trips have been beautiful and with manageable crowds. We stay about from EPCOT on the weekends because of the Food and Wine event.

October used to be my favorite time of year ( until I visited in September ) - the weather is wonderful ( 80s - with less humidity than you find in the summer ) and the Food and Wine Festival is my favorite event at Disney. MNSSHP is also a fun event. The parade is awesome! The crowds can be a hit or miss that time of year. It's been busier than it used to be 10 years ago but that's not to say it's not manageable. My advise - stay away from Food and Wine on the weekend as it draws locals as well as tourists and avoid Halloween for the MNSSHP ( it sells out every year ).

We went this past October. I did some research on weather in October and it seemed like it can really vary. We chose that time of year over the summer because we did not want it to be unbearably hot. Well when we went it was insanely hot....temps in the high 90s with feels like temperatures in the 100s....supposedly they were having a heat wave. The good news was it barely rained at all....just one day for about an hour. It was crowded but in my opinion the crowds were manageable. We loved going to Food and Wine and MNSSHP.

We’ve done early October several times and have always thought the crowds and weather were perfect. Not to hot or cold but worth having a sweater handy and the crowds are usually just right. Definitely be mindful of MNSSHP when planning your MK day(s) we prefer to avoid it :)

Early October weather in Orlando is hard to pin down - it's hurricane season, so that can affect your rain chances quite a bit even though you won't be on the coast. We buy several "dollar store" ponchos, carry one for each of us in our pocket (they're very thin and cheap) and pull those out if it does rain while we're in the park. We throw them away if we see the rain has passed and won't be coming back that day. I suggest lightweight clothes, it has very rarely been cold in the many October trips we've taken, and even then, the cool temps were only in the mornings. I also echo the advice about going to Epcot on a weekday rather than the weekends, the local crowd really impacts Food and Wine then. Drink plenty of water and pick the hottest time of the day to sit down to an air-conditioned meal - people want to save their table service meals for the evening, but we've found that if you spend some time relaxing while you eat lunch, you can avoid higher prices and bigger crowds in the restaurants. Crowds are manageable in October, but definitely take advantage of rope drop touring and using your fastpasses...and if you don't get a fastpass for the "must do" attractions, be sure to get to the park an 30 minutes to an hour BEFORE park opening...it will put you at the front of the pack and you won't waste precious park time waiting in line during the day! Have fun and enjoy every minute!

Thank you all so much for the tips! I really appreciate them and will follow your suggestions when doing our planning.

We've been the first half of October for 4 out of the last 5 years. It is shorts weather day and night and warm enough to swim in the evening. Usually it is warm, but not overly hot- but sometimes it is still hot (not July and August hot, but hot). It is hurricane season and we did hit a hurricane one year and got stuck at the resort with the parks closed for a day and a half. That is really rare, but it has happened twice in recent years. Food and Wine at Epcot is great, but I agree with the PP that said to try to avoid it on the weekend-- it gets really crowded. MNSSHP (requires an extra ticket) is great-- adults wear costumes too and one of our favorite things is to see what the adults are wearing. The crowds are moderate. We were going in December (before the Christmas rush) before we switched to October, and October is more crowded than that, but definitely manageable. We have also been in May, early June, and the week between Christmas and New Years. I would say for crowds, October is more comparable to early June. Of course, the question will be whether Star Wars opens by then. I will say typically when they say "fall" the openings have been after our trip, but you never know.

Columbus Day (October 14), the weekend prior and the day after will be more crowded than the the surrounding days but other than avoiding that time frame we really enjoy Oct and early Nov., we go for Food&Wine. Expect a day or two in the 90s (f).

Bill From PA

Columbus Day (October 14), the weekend prior and the day after will be more crowded than the the surrounding days but other than avoiding that time frame we really enjoy Oct and early Nov., we go for Food&Wine. Expect a day or two in the 90s (f).

Bill From PA

Good point! Thanks for that as I would not of known (coming from New Zealand).

I just did a solo trip in late october (checked out on 11/1/18). It was amazing. The crowds were very manageable! The weather was exactly how I’d love it. Sunny and 75-80!

Ha ha!!

As for crowds, well yes, it is a bit crowded.....with visitors from the UK !!! Its very noticeable, but I actually like it better, as European children are so polite and well behaved!! Second week of Oct is busier than the rest with the US Columbus Day holiday, but 1st and 3rd are quieter, especially 3rd. Most Europeans are near the end of their 2 - 3 week trips and spend more time at the pool/water parks than in the theme parks during their last week.

Weather wise - temps are in the low to mid 80's. I once did a 12 days trip without one drop of rain! Another 10 days trip with one rainy morning and a couple cloudy days, but still low to mid 80's. October and May are the best weather months, in my opinion.

We usually go mid October. the crowds aren't terrible. Weekends at EPCOT will be very busy due to Food and Wine going on.
Weather is generally mid 80s, however, last year was in the 90s.
If you are interested, Mickys not So Scarey halloween Party in the MK is a hard taicket event several night a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter